It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

LPR/fecal smell

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
Paul1294
(male)

Paul1294 HB User
LPR/fecal smell

I have been dealing with acid reflux / LPR related issues for 6 years now. After a second endoscopy in 2017 showed a small stomach hernia (which they concluded they don't do anything for) and a barium showed reflux, I was put on the PPI Nexium and have been on it for two months now with no improvement. I went back and I am now on Nexium and Ranitidine 300mg which I have been on for nearly a week, hoping for an improvement soon. The gastrointerologist also discharged me and now I would have to go back to my GP to make a further appointment on medication, I'm surprised they didn't perform a colonoscopy? I also had blood tests over the years and seen an ENT to get a nasal scope both of which came back fine apart from mild rhinitis (non-allergic I believe, I have no known allergies). Years ago I was prescribed different PPI's on and off including Omeprazole and Lansaparole which had little effect and my diet doesn't appear to make much of a difference as I seem to burp up whatever I put into my body (including water), what do I do? The most common symptom is this post nasal drip, chronic fatigue (especially after eating), very foul smelling gas (gastrointerologist told me gas and reflux are not related), bad breath and the reflux going into my sinuses causing ''mind fog'' and a feeling of malaise, especially when I lay down. I do not get heartburn or many of the typical GERD symptoms, leading me to conclude that I have LPR (silent reflux). My question is what can I do and what is the full treatment for this?

Adding to this, there is a poo smell coming from inside my stomach that appears to become much worse the longer I sit down. I remember years ago I heard it being mentioned years ago by someone who said I smelt like crap and I sat beside her for over a year. This is causing me issues at college, where people always sniff or cough in my presence even if they never hold their nose. I know something is wrong there even if people don't say there is and I am constantly trying to mask the smell with deodorant but it doesn't work. I am trying Charcoal tablets, do they work? If I go to the toilet and use toilet roll just to smell it, there is no rarerly ever a bad smell there. I am fairly hygienic and always use wet wipes and baby powder after cleaning myself from a bowel movement, so I don't think that's the issue here. What do I do and what causes this?

Last edited by Administrator; 09-29-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Leo255
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
Re: LPR/fecal smell

Hello, the fecal smell would have nothing to do with your stomach or GERD/LPR/etc.

Feces is made by your small and then large intestines. Most likely, you are just not cleaning yourself well enough. My advice is simple. When you "go," always moisten your toilet paper with water. It makes for better cleaning. When you're in a private bathroom, it's easy - use the faucet. When you're in a public restroom, just make sure you have a bottle of water with you to moisten the toilet paper.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Paul1294
(male)

Paul1294 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo255 View Post
Hello, the fecal smell would have nothing to do with your stomach or GERD/LPR/etc.

Feces is made by your small and then large intestines. Most likely, you are just not cleaning yourself well enough. My advice is simple. When you "go," always moisten your toilet paper with water. It makes for better cleaning. When you're in a private bathroom, it's easy - use the faucet. When you're in a public restroom, just make sure you have a bottle of water with you to moisten the toilet paper.
But I have always done this, always. In fact, I even use baby powder on that area after cleaning and make sure to be very thorough with it. Even after coming out of the bath the smell finds its way back very quickly. It is an internal issue within my bowels and is definitely not what you're suggesting.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:50 AM   #4
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

This happened to a friend and he had a problem in his esophagus. Maybe your doctor can give you the proper test for that. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
Annabelle521
(female)

Annabelle521 HB User

If you aren't having any relief after a week of treatment from the PPI and Ranitidine, which should be helping your symptoms by now, you need to
see your physician again and tell him that you want to test for H. pylori, which is a bacterial infection in the stomach. If it's positive then you will be treated with a round of antibiotics.
I was diagnosed with H. pylori and I needed to do 2 rounds of antibiotics for treatment which consisted of three different antibiotics. I was retested again after 2 rounds d of treatment and I did need another round of the antibiotics.The infection was cured after 2 rounds.

Reply Reply