It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Possible Nissen Surgery

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Carisa
(female)

Carisa HB User
Possible Nissen Surgery

My gastro recommended, about 2 yrs ago, that I get the Nissen surgery. I am a 39 year old female and I've had terrible GERD symptoms for many years. They come and go. Right now I'm in a major flare up. Stomach ache, loss of appetite, sore throat, bad taste in my throat, etc.

I have another upper endoscopy coming up, along with an XRay Barium test. I'm terrified of getting the surgery.

Does anyone have any experience with the manometry test that needs to be done prior to the surgery? I have a crazy gag reflex and I'm not sure how I can, possibly, do that.

Is the surgery as scary as it sounds?

Thanks,
Carisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
Queenie99
(female)

Queenie99 HB User
Re: Possible Nissen Surgery

I had the manometry test prior to the surgery. It wasn't a bad test after they inserted the probe. It goes in through the nose, so I don't really know if it will bother gag reflex. You could call the testing location and talk to someone who does the test about your concerns. They should be able to tell you how they handle testing people with gag reflex.

I had Nissen Fundoplication (full wrap) in August 2014. It was a good decision for me. I had no problems with the surgery or the recovery. Symptom free for 2+ years and no PPIs. If you have read my post about dealing with GERD symptoms after Nissen you will see that I also have hypercontractile esophagus (Nutcracker or Jackhammer esophagus) that is causing me to have GERD symptoms, but my wrap is properly working as I have no acid as determined by a 96 hour Bravo pH test. I am a member of an on-line group of people who have had Nissen. Some of them are 15 or more years post Nissen with no issues. Of course, there are also those who are less than that with issues.

All this being said, the test and surgery are different for everyone. Good luck!

Last edited by Queenie99; 10-09-2017 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Adding more information

Reply Reply