It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• PPI question

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
    BlackersUK
    (male)

BlackersUK HB User
    PPI question

Hi. I have just joined the board as I wanted to see if anyone was able to advise me about a PPI question.

I have a long history of Gastritis, small sliding Hiatal Hernia and frequent reflux. This has been confirmed in the past by Endoscopy, although the last examination being just over 12 months ago.

I had taken 15mg Lansoprazole once a day (morning) for numerous years (probably 9 or 10) which kept a lid on the problem mainly. Any time I pushed the boundaries, and began to feel an increase in symptoms, I would double up the dose to 30mg and this would get the problem back in check.

However, in September 2017 I decided that it was time to come off them completely. I weaned myself over a three week period by emptying out part of the capsules and eventually stopped fully at the end of September.

I have been relatively fine up until Christmas when, either by the few glasses of wine I had or rich food, maybe combined with a bit of stress, the symptoms came back. Firstly by a sharp pain directly under my sternum, which radiates through to my back, burning sensation across my shoulders, dizziness, nausea and upset bowels, amongst other little niggles.

I paid a visit to my GP and he decided it is likely Gastritis in view of my history. He prescribed Esomeprazole (Nexium) 40mg twice daily and I have been taking it ever since.

Unfortunately, I am no better. The acid seems to have increased if anything and the back pains still persist. The stabbing pain under the sternum has subsided somewhat but will still play up at times. I have moderated the usual food etc etc and am now thinking if the Esomeprazole does not agree with me. I am also suffering aches and pains in most of my joints now also which I am aware could be the medication.

I obvioulsly don't want to just stop as I know from experience that things can turn seriously nasty so my question is this:

I have numerous Lansoprazole (Prevacid) tablets still, in both 30mg and 15mg doses. Can I just swap over and replace the Esomeprazole doses with 30mg Lansoprazole twice a day? Or do I have to stop the Esomeprazole and give it a short period of time before starting the other? Also, as the Lansoprazole has worked for me in the past, will it likely work again and if so, what dose would be comparative? 30mg or 45mg to match 40mg Esomeprazole?

Sorry for the long winded post but I am a loss here as to the best way forward.

Many Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
    hlthq1980

hlthq1980 HB User
    Re: PPI question

i switched from omep to panto in one day. didn't notice any negative effects.

Reply Reply

Tags
    acid, gerd, reflux