It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Problems worse after Endoscopy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
Hiddenlakes

Hiddenlakes HB User
Problems worse after Endoscopy

Before I went in to have my upper gi endoscopy done, I had only mild heartburn and only if I went to bed on a full stomach and only sometimes. One week after I had the endoscopy I feel like all hell broke loose. I suffered the worst heartburn I have ever experienced in my life. Severe chest pain and burning for two days straight, throat infection. Also I get a sore stomach like I have done a hundred crunches but have done no excercise at all. I also get a constant sour stomach that radiates acid up into my throat all the time. All day most days. It doesn't matter what I eat. Everything and anything can upset my stomach. I went for a follow-up appt with the GI doc that did the endoscopy and explained my symptoms to him. I told him that I had these symptoms one week after endoscopy. That i have never had these severe symptoms in my life and they only started after the endoscopy. He made light of the situation and of course just tried to shove medication (dexilant) down my throat for an answer. It has been two months since I have had the endoscopy and I am still experiencing a these symptoms. It's my gastrointestinal problems are worse for life now. I'm so worried and scared and don't know who to turn to for help. I have seen a couple other doctors since then and they told me my symptoms couldn't possibly be caused by the endoscopy itself. I have done alot of online research and found similar stories as my own.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Problems worse after Endoscopy

It is pretty impossible for an endoscopy to cause the symptoms you describe; afterall it is nothing but a tube which looks down your throat into your upper GI tract...it doesnt actually "do" anything...however, I am sure that you are not making up the symptoms.

Is there another GI doctor in the group where you went who you could go see? You have the right to have another doctor take a look at your chart and your case and make suggestions.

Endoscopies look for erosion of the throat and esophagus as well as any polyps which might be there...was anything biopsied or anything removed?

I would get a second opinion from another doctor, but it needs to be one who has access to your chart OR you are going to have to have your chart sent over to the new doctor if you go to a different group.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
hbguy1
(male)

hbguy1 HB Userhbguy1 HB User

I've had two endoscopies and the only thing that I noticed was chest pain after my first one and a sore throat after my second one. Both went away in time.

Are you on any acid reducing medication? Any dietary or lifestyle changes since your endoscopy?

My worst bout of acid reflux came at night when I was under extreme stress. There is no doubt in my mind that stress exacerbates reflux.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

What were the findings of your scope, both visually and biopsies?
Have you been checked for h. Pylori....if not, do request it on the possibility that you may have it now.

q

Old 03-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
Hiddenlakes

Hiddenlakes HB User

Thank you for your suggestion. I tested negative for the bacteria that causes heartburn at the time of the endoscopy results. My symptoms keep getting worse and now I have constant stomach ache, nausea, and anxiety developed from my stomach issues.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Reflux and GERD causes heartburn, do you know what exactlty the bacteria you were tested for? Bacteria can cause gastritis, but so can reflux.

Can you get a copy of your results?
q

Old 03-07-2018, 01:42 AM   #7
Hiddenlakes

Hiddenlakes HB User

I tested negative for the H pylori bacteria. What other bacterias could I be tested for that could cause stomach issues? Any advice would help. Thank you so much for your response.

I know I'm not alone with what I'm experiencing with symptoms starting up after the endoscopy.

Last edited by Moderator1; 03-07-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gastritis can be caused by other viruses or bacteria besides h. Pylori. Good you tested negative for it.

Do you have inflammation of the esophagus?

Are you on any meds for reflux? Dexilant daily?

I suggest you ask your GP to requisition a barium swallow to check your esophagus ...... maybe you have spasming?

q

Last edited by quincy; 03-07-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
Jjr
(female)

Jjr HB User

Please check into all the above ideas, but I think itís stress.
I had a similar situation where I was fine, laid down for a nap after a anxious day and when I woke up I had acid reflux. That was 6 months ago. Only Zantac helped, after a week and seriously modifying my diet.

When I am having a busy day it gets worse. Then I get stressed because Iím in pain and once again dealing with this crap. I do yoga, lavender, chamomile tea an hour before bed, and try to accept and be ok with all of this. Iím finally having good days. Iím even decreasing my morning meds.

Hope it gets better.

Reply Reply