It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Mucus in throat-

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Tamoose

Tamoose HB User
Mucus in throat-

I have been having a feeling like a mucus bubble in my throat that I just can't seem to clear. I feel like I am drowning sometimes. I do have acid reflux and I take a liquid antacid, doesn't help much. Does anyone know anything I could try to get some relief? Have tried most everything else. It gets so bad My voice gets affected. I have been telling my doctor but she doesn't say anything.
Thanks all-Tamoose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
Mgw7655
(male)

Mgw7655 HB User
Re: Mucus in throat-

Thatís exactly what i have. My doc described it as almost a sore that canít heal bc the acid keeps scratching at it.

He told me that over the counter meds arenít enough. He gave me a prescription strength pill thatís twice the strength of over the counter. He said take that daily, less tomato based foods, less pop and acidic drinks, and more apples and bananas (helps acid) and I should be better in a few weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mgw7655 For This Useful Post:
Tamoose (03-24-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
digger47
(male)

digger47 HB User

I have been dealing with severe gerd for nearly 2 years and nothing has really helped. Oh, I eat the right foods and take the ppi's as required and walk 2 miles daily and sleep good as long as my tummy doesn't hurt. No doctor has an answer and I guess they don't want to any surgurical procedures maybe until you go on life support. Wow, this stuff hits me getting out of bed in the AM and pretty well totally ruins my whole day with the stomach/chest pains.
Best of luck to you but I had no idea that others are experiencing this dreaded
condition.

The Following User Says Thank You to digger47 For This Useful Post:
Tamoose (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Tamoose,

I have had thick, choking mucus in my throat. It may or may not help you, but my doctor told me to drink more water and to buy overthecounter Flonase and use two puffs in each nostril before bed, for two months.

It has been used two months now and the mucus and choking is greatly reduced. Make sure to drink plenty of water. (other types of drinks don't count)

For reflux, gerd, I find that the drugs do nothing to stop that. Now I only take one tablespoon of Bragg's natural vinegar every morning before food or drink. It may take a month or more but the good bacteria that aids digestion in the gut will re-balance.

In my opinion the source of gerd, indigestion, etc. is that too many fake foods exist. I say fake because they are not natural foods and don't have live digestive enzymes. Try getting back to basics, real meat, fruit, vegetables, rolled oats, oat bread rather than wheat or refined flour, etc. Also, eat plain yogurt with fresh fruit, not the syrup or sugar that gets added to yogurt.

My gerd and digestive problems have now disappeared. I start choking and can hardly talk when iI eat the artificial and pre-prepared junk 'food' that is full of additives.

Doctors don't really listen because they know that the patient has to do the work of changing how we eat, and most people just want a pill or medicine and won't make necessary changes.

The Following User Says Thank You to YaYagirl For This Useful Post:
Tamoose (04-10-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
Tamoose

Tamoose HB User

Thank you for all your answers to my post. It helps to know that others have the same problem and know what I am talking about. Sorry that you all have this as it is a real problem. I will ask my doctor for a prescription for Flonase and give it a try.
I am not computer savvy so I hope I did this reply right and thanked everyone.
-Tamoose

Old 03-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

You're welcome, Tamoose.

You might be able to get a prescription, but Flonase is now available without a prescription. Be sure to shake the bottle every time before using it.

Be sure to stay hydrated. Dry, heated air does not help any.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #7
s872
(male)

s872 HB User

This mucus in your throat that you have mentioned, do you believe this to be a result of the acid reFlux you have? I had a horrible spell one time and I actually thought it might be my heart or something else, because i felt a burning in my throat all the way down and it felt like someone was choking me at the same time. My stomach was very unsettled and they tested my spleen, made sure i was not having a heart attack, and it all came back negative. they even gave me morphine for the pain and it did nothing. Come to find out i was having a severe acid reflux spell. So they gave me what they called a GI cocktail. A GI cocktail is malox mixed with lidocaine viscous in a little cup and you drank it. I instantly felt relief all the way down to my stomach and couldn't believe it. The malox is your anti-acid property, but the lidocaine viscous helps numb your esophageal tract and helps to keep it calm during an acid reflux attack. I asked the Doctor at the ER if i could get this to take at home and he prescribed me the lidocaine viscous to mix with normal malox solution to take at home. I would see if you could get a Rx for the lidocaine viscous and mix it with the malox. Hope this helps, goodluck.

The Following User Says Thank You to s872 For This Useful Post:
Tamoose (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 01:52 AM   #8
Tamoose

Tamoose HB User

Yaya- do you know if the prescription Fluticasone Propionate is the same as Flonase?
-TaMoose

Old 04-04-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tamoose;5479680]Yaya- do you know if the prescription Fluticasone Propionate is the same as Flonase?
-TaMoose[/QUOTE]

Just saw this because I can't get alerts on my computer. Fluticasone propionate is generic Flonase. So it has to be a bit different by law due to copyright law, but they work pretty much the same way. Check both names out on Drug.com

Flonase can be bought over the counter without a prescription. I personally usually don't use generic drugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to YaYagirl For This Useful Post:
Tamoose (04-05-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #10
Caroo14
(female)

Caroo14 HB User

Sounds to me like LPR, which I was just diagnosed with.

The Following User Says Thank You to Caroo14 For This Useful Post:
Tamoose (04-10-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #11
TEdds83
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

When mine acid reflux is at it's worst I get the mucus ball in my throat. I have it real bad right now. I've got to watch my diet super close right now to get this cleared up.

The Following User Says Thank You to TEdds83 For This Useful Post:
cheer up (10-11-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
Mark8004
(male)

Mark8004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
When mine acid reflux is at it's worst I get the mucus ball in my throat. I have it real bad right now. I've got to watch my diet super close right now to get this cleared up.
I have the food stuck in throat feeling but it's like yours. A mucus ball that you can't cough away. Went on Nexium for 10 days and it didn't work other than to calm my stomach where it doesn't growl or gurgle. Zantac doesn't help much. Tums gets rid of the feeling for about 10 minutes and then it starts again. It's weird. It's like the Tums carries the mucus into your stomach but it reappears. It's one of the symptoms of LRP but I don't have any of the others. My Gastro doctor wants me to take the 40mg version of Nexium twice a day for 30 days until I see him again. I don't see how that will help. Nexium 24 OTC just did nothing for it as I said. He wants me to have an Endoscopy. I had one of those about 25-30 years ago. I'm 66 now. They couldn't find anything. They did confirm I don't have H-Pylori. This is absolutely the worse feeling. I can deal with heartburn and gurgling. Having food stuck in your throat for hours and hours at a time is unbearable. It goes away when I eat but returns a few hours later. I can't keep eating food. Drinking water doesn't help. If anyone has seen a doctor who knows how to get rid of this please reply.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mark8004 For This Useful Post:
cheer up (10-11-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #13
TEdds83
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark8004 View Post
I have the food stuck in throat feeling but it's like yours. A mucus ball that you can't cough away. Went on Nexium for 10 days and it didn't work other than to calm my stomach where it doesn't growl or gurgle. Zantac doesn't help much. Tums gets rid of the feeling for about 10 minutes and then it starts again. It's weird. It's like the Tums carries the mucus into your stomach but it reappears. It's one of the symptoms of LRP but I don't have any of the others. My Gastro doctor wants me to take the 40mg version of Nexium twice a day for 30 days until I see him again. I don't see how that will help. Nexium 24 OTC just did nothing for it as I said. He wants me to have an Endoscopy. I had one of those about 25-30 years ago. I'm 66 now. They couldn't find anything. They did confirm I don't have H-Pylori. This is absolutely the worse feeling. I can deal with heartburn and gurgling. Having food stuck in your throat for hours and hours at a time is unbearable. It goes away when I eat but returns a few hours later. I can't keep eating food. Drinking water doesn't help. If anyone has seen a doctor who knows how to get rid of this please reply.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #14
TEdds83
Senior Veteran
(female)

Everything you just said is me exactly. Iím so frustrated! Tonight I have it bad. Itís giving me anxiety. I think a chocolate chip cookie I ate started the mucus ball. Iím sick of it!

The Following User Says Thank You to TEdds83 For This Useful Post:
cheer up (10-11-2018)
Reply Reply