It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Dry mouth at night

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
    hbguy1
    (male)

hbguy1 HB Userhbguy1 HB User
    Dry mouth at night

I've been getting a dry mouth at night for a long time (maybe a year). The products I buy from the pharmacy work for some of the night but not all of it. Basically, I will get up in the middle of the night, drink a full glass of water, and then an hour later I will be thirsty again. I have to repeat that 2-3 times per night and I know it's not normal. During the day, my mouth seems to be fine and I don't seem to suffer from dry mouth.

I take a PPI for eosiniphilic esophagitis (eoe) and even before starting the PPI, the dry mouth was also persisting. I notice my teeth also get yellow faster... and I have to visit my dentist more often to clear the yellowing stains.

Could this be acid reflux or something else? I'm confused because if acid was staining my teeth, wouldn't I feel it in my mouth and throat? Stomach acid is very strong and it would be hard to miss...

Or could it be from sleeping with my mouth open or environmental factors? I've been sleeping with my mouth open all my life, which leads me to believe this is not the problem. My environment has also been consistent for the past 4 years, so this problem is new to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
    sullen
    (male)

sullen HB User
    Re: Dry mouth at night

PPIs cause me dry mouth, as you state you had it before. I use to get over-salivation when I was younger but I'm not sure what the cause was. Allergies and smoking were persistent with me in those days mind you and both may have been contributors. Acid in my diet like pizza or fast food would cause various issues I think also.....

Mouth breathing and sinus issues I think gave me issues worse than anything. I tried the mouthwash for dry mouth or gum. They have different brands to coat your mouth at night. Not sure if this would help or be advisable for you or if you could tolerate it. My dentist always pushed it on me when I came in with dry mouth.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
    hbguy1
    (male)

hbguy1 HB Userhbguy1 HB User
    Re: Dry mouth at night

Thanks for the reply. The dry mouth doesn't seem to be as bad anymore now that the weather has changed. I still get it sometimes at night but lately I've been treating it with biotene gel which seems to be helping. I used the biotene mouth wash and toothpaste before but find the gel to be a lot more effective because it seems to stay in the mouth longer.

Reply Reply