It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Asthma/Breathing Problems from GERD

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
    Surrey
    (female)

Surrey HB User
    Asthma/Breathing Problems from GERD

Hi all,
    For the last few months, I've been suffering from dreadful shortness of breath, air hunger and at night, asthma. I've never had it before. I'm 46.
    The year started badly and I've been on 4 courses of antibiotics, all of which gave me reflux, then a month course of iron tablets, which messed up my stomach even more. Shortly after that, the breathing issues began. My doctor thinks its adult-onset asthma, but I have my doubts. The symptoms are like asthma, particularly at night, but I have a feeling it's reflux related. I have no other reflux symptoms, apart from a positive barium meal. It also gets worse lying down or slouching. Any suggestions or advice appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Asthma/Breathing Problems from GERD

Did they put you on inhalers? If you have a rescue inhaler - albuterol- and it works when you have an episode, then it's probably asthma. You would need a pulmonary function test to be sure. Both conditions can have the same symptoms.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
    Lynn1975
    (female)

Lynn1975 HB User
    Re: Asthma/Breathing Problems from GERD

Have you been checked for a hiatal hernia? I have one and am short of breath, particularly at night when I lay down or sometimes when I'm eating. I also have GERD. I have two friends who had a hiatal hernias, then developed GERD with shortness of breath. They both had surgery and the shortness of breath went away. However, now neither one of them are able to vomit if they get sick or burp. So, they suffer from upset stomach, bloating, etc.

Reply Reply