It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Feeling of stuck air/burp during jogging/running (18 months post surgery)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-28-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
    Leo255
    (male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
    Feeling of stuck air/burp during jogging/running (18 months post surgery)

Hi all,

I used to post here a lot, but haven't shown up too much lately. I had my surgery almost 18 months ago now - It was a 180 Dor fundoplication with Hiatal Hernia repair. While I am not GERD free, I think that the surgery, along with quitting PPI's for good, sensible diet/portion choices and exercise, have allowed me to live a better life. I still have reflux from time to time, and will occasionally take a Pepcid, but it's nothing like it once was.

Anyway, I have been running/jogging consistently for over a year - It is one of the best things I've ever done for myself - I average 7-8 miles each run, and have done a couple half marathons. I'm proud that I can do something that I never thought I would ever be able to do with my condition. One thing I have noticed is that I sometimes get this feeling of "stuck air". I try to let out a burp but it doesn't come out on my terms, it seems to come out on its own terms...If I'm running, I will switch to walking and then eventually I will let out a long burp/a lot of air. I was wondering if anyone else deals with this, and if there's anything they do to make it better...

It's nice to drop in again after being gone for so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Feeling of stuck air/burp during jogging/running (18 months post surgery)

Dear Leo,

Good for you!

Do you do your exercise before or after eating? For me exercise and physical work needs to be on an empty stomach, or at most a 1/2 slice of toast, no caffeine.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
    Leo255
    (male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
    Re: Feeling of stuck air/burp during jogging/running (18 months post surgery)

Hello, I wait until it's at least 4 hours after I last ate (more for a bigger meal). I try to wait 30-40 minutes after last drink. Generally, this occurs less frequently if my stomach feels really empty, but yeah...you do need to drink something so you don't get dehydrated on your exercise.

Reply Reply

« PPI Question | - »