It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Hiatal Hernia - Negative on Gastroscopy but Positive on Barium Swallow

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
    Croggle
    (male)

Croggle HB User
    Hiatal Hernia - Negative on Gastroscopy but Positive on Barium Swallow

I've been having upper abdominal discomfort and severe LPR symptoms which has been affecting my throat and larynx (confirmed on inspection by an ENT doctor) more so than traditional heartburn and was sent for a Gastroscopy.

I chose not to have sedation and aside from having trouble fully inflating the stomach they didn't find any sign of a hiatal hernia but did note my lower esophageal valve remained fully open.

One surprising thing is after the Gastroscopy I felt cured for a week or so - I could eat what I wanted, no abdominal discomfort, no sign of LPR symptoms - I felt better than I had for a long long time, but soon the symptoms returned so convinced a hiatal hernia was to blame I paid to have a Barium Swallow - which noted similar findings with my lower esophageal valve but crucially identified a small hiatal hernia.

Given I felt so great for a while after the Gastroscopy is it possible that the gas they pumped into the stomach helped pull the herniated part of the stomach back into the abdominal cavity, accounting for my temporary relief?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2020, 02:23 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Hiatal Hernia - Negative on Gastroscopy but Positive on Barium Swallow

Unfortunately it is not possible for that to happen. All the gas does is expand your insides so that they can look around. It is possible that making that area bigger (until the gas dissipated) made you more comfortable for a few days, but it did not "fix" anything. Sorry.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:47 AM   #3
    Croggle
    (male)

Croggle HB User

Thanks for that, although I'm not clear on why that would not be possible?

To clarify the gas was not actually being pumped into my abdominal cavity, but the scope through which the gas was pumped was inserted down my oesophagus and directly into my stomach so they were using the gas to inflate the stomach from the inside.

When doing so if they were inflating the main part of my stomach below the diaphragm why would it not have been possible for that to have temporarily pulled the sliding part of my hiatal hernia from the thoracic cavity back down into the abdominal cavity?

Old 01-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You might have what's called a sliding hernia, so it seems possible for the temporary relief.
    q

Reply Reply