It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Could it be a hiatal hernia?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
    nosila
    (female)

nosila HB User
    Could it be a hiatal hernia?

I have seen my doctor, who suspected and is treating me for gastritis with carafate and pentoprazole.

I still get pains in the center of my chest after ten days of treatment. I suspect a hiatal hernia. Most of the time, there is no pain until I lean forward from a seated position, as if to pick something up from the floor. Sometimes it happens when I am standing and bend forward. It goes away shortly after I return to my previous position. Sometimes I get that pain after eating and it can radiate to my back and neck. I also belch a lot. I sometimes have to contort my body to release burps. Some hiccuping. No acid reflux, as the prescribed meds help with that.

It's the pain in center chest that has me most concerned. Does this seem like a hiatal hernia? Have any of you who have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, experienced any or all of these symptoms, including the pain?

What treatment, if any, worked for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Could it be a hiatal hernia?

It's possible. Have you had any imaging or an upper scope done?

q

Old 02-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #3
    nosila
    (female)

nosila HB User

Not yet. I have been considering that or xray, since it will be less expensive.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Maybe ultrasound?
    q

Old 03-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
    holdmyskittles
    (female)

holdmyskittles HB User

I've got a tiny hiatal hernia myself (diagnosed via barium swallow circa 2017), and honestly, getting tested is the only way you'll know for sure. Mine doesn't present any problems, or if it does, they're remedied in the process of treating my other health maladies.

I will say though, as someone who also has GERD, it's possible that you're still having silent reflux despite being on medication. It's pretty much the same as Acid Reflux but without the pain/burning sensation - it still can cause the same side effects and damage.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:02 AM   #6
    nosila
    (female)

nosila HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nosila View Post
    I have seen my doctor, who suspected and is treating me for gastritis with carafate and pentoprazole.

I still get pains in the center of my chest after ten days of treatment. I suspect a hiatal hernia. Most of the time, there is no pain until I lean forward from a seated position, as if to pick something up from the floor. Sometimes it happens when I am standing and bend forward. It goes away shortly after I return to my previous position. Sometimes I get that pain after eating and it can radiate to my back and neck. I also belch a lot. I sometimes have to contort my body to release burps. Some hiccuping. No acid reflux, as the prescribed meds help with that.

It's the pain in center chest that has me most concerned. Does this seem like a hiatal hernia? Have any of you who have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, experienced any or all of these symptoms, including the pain?

What treatment, if any, worked for you?

Update. With continued use of the medication and avoidance of certain foods and drinks, the problem resolved!

Reply Reply

« stomach aches | - »