It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Help Non-Acidic Warm Beverage Needed

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
    ldj99
    (male)

ldj99 HB User
    Help Non-Acidic Warm Beverage Needed

I have been dealing with LPR (a form of GERD that affects my throat resulting in soreness, a chronic cough and at times, shortness of breath) for about 15 years. I have tried everything and sometimes it improves for a while and then get worse again. It is a daily struggle. But I have a specific question today concerning warm beverages. As any LPR patient knows, coffee, tea and hot chocolate are not allowed on a LPR diet. They can cause major problems. So for years I have used roasted grain beverages (coffee substitutes), such as Pero and Roma. It has been revealed recently that these types of products contain the highest level of acrylamide of just about any other foods or beverages. Acrylamide is a serious cancer-causing chemical. Find more info at: https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/fact-sheets/acrylamide.

My question is this: Can you suggest any other non-acidic warm beverages that I can switch to? A warm non-acid beverage is very comforting for me and can soothe my irritated cough many times. I thought that maybe some of you have dealth with similiar issues and could suggest something for me. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Help Non-Acidic Warm Beverage Needed

reading the lists for LPR and Acrylamide, it would seem that decaf tea would be OK. But if that still bothers you, herb teas should be OK as they don't really have tea in them and, of course, are caffeine free. Stash and Tazo make some great ones (Love the Tazo Passion) and a ginger tea might be what you are looking for as the ginger is soothing. I can't use caffeine so I only drink caffeine free ones.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
    ldj99
    (male)

ldj99 HB User
    Re: Help Non-Acidic Warm Beverage Needed

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    reading the lists for LPR and Acrylamide, it would seem that decaf tea would be OK. But if that still bothers you, herb teas should be OK as they don't really have tea in them and, of course, are caffeine free. Stash and Tazo make some great ones (Love the Tazo Passion) and a ginger tea might be what you are looking for as the ginger is soothing. I can't use caffeine so I only drink caffeine free ones.
    Thank you for your response. Regular tea, even decaffeinated, isn't an option because it is very acidic. And many herbal teas are high in acid too, especially if they contain rose hips, citric acid, etc.

Reply Reply

Tags
    lpr, sore throat