It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid Reflux, Gerd or?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #1
    Lawrence73
    (male)

Lawrence73 HB User
    Acid Reflux, Gerd or?

Symptoms started 6 months ago. I'm in my 40s, tall and lean, never smoked or drank sodas, rarely drank alcohol. I cut out all alcohol, spices, acidic fruits, tomatoes, chocolate, peppers, nuts, beans, onions, garlic, coffee, tea etc. Now all I eat are bland oats, potatoes, veggies, eggs and chicken.

I only sleep on my stomach or left side, it's impossible for me to sleep on my back, I'm considering an adjustable bed to try and force myself. Anyone have success with this?

I've been taking omeprazole for 3 months and it's starting to lose its effect. A lot of burning, odd burping like I feel it building up and then it gurgles coming up my esophagus. Makes me worry about my LES. Sometimes a pain almost like "butterflies" but as if they're fighting to death in my stomach.

I did two weeks of antibiotics and PPI thinking it might be ulcers due to Pylori but symptoms quickly returned after I stopped the meds. If it's still ulcers how do I heal them considering my diet is so bland already?

Now I've been trying all the probiotics, prebiotics, fiber supplements, licorice root tea, baking soda water etc, nothing works.

I haven't actually gone to a doctor yet because after reading posts and reviews millions of people just live with these symptoms taking the OTC meds. Dreading wasting money for a doctor to tell me just keep taking a PPI. With my symptoms would they even want to do an endoscopy?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2022, 01:20 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux, Gerd or?

You need to see a doctor...how did you get antibiotics?

LES dysfunction is the cause of reflux.
    Having an upper scope really is the only way to see what's going on and to see if there is damage to your esophagus from the stomach acid.

Is it possible you have a hernia?

q

Old 01-13-2022, 03:49 PM   #3
    Lawrence73
    (male)

Lawrence73 HB User

Thank you for the reply. A friend of mine called in the antibiotics Rx for me, I was sure it was the pylori and didn't want to waste a doctors time, I still don't.

How would a hernia be causing this? I've always tried to keep tight abdominal muscles because my back is so bad. I have multiple bulging discs in my spine, not sure if that might be the culprit.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:03 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Bulging discs possibly if in your mid to upper back?

Hernia...depnding on where, could push up into the stomach and cause acid to be pushed into the esophagus.

You should see your doctor and at least have further testing and be referred to a gatroenterologist.

Any issues with gastro regarding gut cramping, etc?

q

Old 01-14-2022, 03:44 PM   #5
    Lawrence73
    (male)

Lawrence73 HB User

6 Bulging discs in my lumbar and cervical last time I had them checked but that was over 10 years ago. Occasional cramps/pain but not really consistent in one spot that I can tell.

I made an appointment with my primary, it's a in Feb, i'll be sure to mention your suggestions.

Thank you

Old 01-15-2022, 12:50 AM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wow, that's alot of pain and discomfort to be dealing with.

I'm glad you made an appointment. Please let me know the outcome.

q

Old 01-17-2022, 12:08 PM   #7
    Lawrence73
    (male)

Lawrence73 HB User

I don't usually feel the pain or discomfort from the discs, I just have to be very careful with movements and not overdo certain activities. When my back does lock up it's usually for 2 or 3 weeks. I take cyclobenzaprine at the onset which seems to help.

I'm worried having tried to fix this reflux misery myself over the last few months I've caused irreparable damage to my esophagus. Ugh.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:31 PM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I hope your PCP will refer you to a GI...but I believe he/she could send you for at least an upper barium swallow, CT or abdominal MRI.

Curious if this all first happened or got worse when you took a course of the cyclobenzaprine?

q

Old 01-18-2022, 04:53 PM   #9
    Lawrence73
    (male)

Lawrence73 HB User

I rarely take the cyclo and when I do it's one pill. I've taken maybe 3 in the last year.

Old 01-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #10
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good to cross that off the list of possibilities.

q

Reply Reply