It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Nausea and Acid Reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #1
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User
    Nausea and Acid Reflux

I have had terrible heartburn for over a year now, and prior to that I had moderate heartburn. I know I need to go to a dr for this, but I don't have any insurance, so I am trying to hold off as long as possible. But I know that it can cause permanet damage, so I am going to go asap. Anyway, almost everyday, just out of no where, I start feeling really sick to my stomach, and sometimes I start to gag it gets so bad. Then after about 10 minutes of dealing with that, I get the awful heartburn. The kind where the burn is just unbearable at times. Does anyone else experience this feeling of nausea when they have acid reflux? And is there anything short of a prescription that has helped? I know I need to see a dr, but if I could at least take something for the time being. I am taking an off brand acid controller pill, which takes the heartburn away for an hour or two, but then it's right back again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
    Christine1984

Christine1984 HB User
    Re: Nausea and Acid Reflux

Hey, How about tums, or zantac!! go to cvs or a pharmacy, and ask which one is the best for hearburn. these are over the counter. you dont need a prescription. the best medication out there precription wise for heartburn and acid reflux is Prevacid. Take care Christina

Old 10-01-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Having a daughter with chronic reflux...pepcid and mylant are the way to go. Try taking pepcid 1/2 hour prior to a meal for the next few days. See if this works. For fast acting relief take 2 tbs of mylanta or 2 gelcaps immediately. Then proceed to take the pepcid 1/2 hr before the next meal.

Remember to avoid eating spicy, heavy foods. Also avoid carbonated beverages, chocolate and caffeine since they will definitely aggravate your conditon.

If this continues...you really need to see a gastroenerologist. You don't want to geit to the point where you develop erosions whch in turn could lead to esophageal cancer. Good luck...Goody

Old 10-01-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

I always get nausea & reflux. My doc said it's partly due to the acid in the stomach. I use Mylanta and it works pretty good for me. I'm also on a Prescription now also.

Old 10-06-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
    Streetcar
    (male)

Streetcar HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Nausea and Acid Reflux

Hello Andilyn

Before I started taking Prevacid/Protonix 6 years ago, I used to use Mylanta. It worked great, except that if you use it more than a couple of times a week (I used it at least 5 times a week), it will cause diareaha. Since I needed relief so often, I found that a teaspoon of good old baking soda in a 6-8oz. glass of warm water chugged right on down provided me with several hours of relief. If I drank it at bedtime, I slept right on through the night. Of course elavating the head of the bed also helps get you the night. I also found that eating a couple a peppermint candies worked to somewhat reduce the occaisional nausea. LOL

Ken
    Peripheral Neuropathy, Chronic Pain, IBS-C, Esophageal Spasms

Old 01-16-2005, 01:09 AM   #6
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

I used to take otc zantac and if the acid was really bad i took gaviscon too.

Closed Thread