It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• OK Gerd is the problem what are some

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
    Hapbob

Hapbob HB User
    OK Gerd is the problem what are some

Answers to help. The drugs out there I guess work..but is there a better diet or routine with eating times for gerd to be also be helped? What foods are good for you and what are bad. I used to drink a lot of soda but now I drink fruit juice is this a good thing or is it only water? Just would like to get others imput to what helps them with gerd besides the medication
    Hap

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User
    Re: OK Gerd is the problem what are some

This is my diet and it does help me - No spicy foods , low fat diet, I don't drink to much juice because of the acid content.
    I eat alot of salads with a little vinager & oil for the dressing, skinless chicken breasts, some red meat, and so on. I am on meds also. But I notice now if I eat something that's spicy, I pay for it!!!

Old 11-10-2004, 04:47 PM   #3
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Vamp,

Can you be more specific on the foods that you eat? Non-spicy, low fat? What else is there? There is fruit, but that's acidic, and I hear that dairy isn't good either. Gees, what's left?

Old 11-11-2004, 07:03 AM   #4
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

skinless chicken breasts, rice, salad, noodles,potatoes.. Some cereals are low fat. Apples. Skim milk. THere are some low fat cookies and ice cream that are actually pretty good. I read the labels to see if the are low in fat. I stay away from spicey stuuf. Like sauces, mexican and alot of seasonings. I do bake the chicken breasts, and some times plain pork chops. I know at first I couln't find anything to eat either. Spend time in a grocery store and start to read the labels of some foods you like. Or try to substitute it with something similiar. It is a plain diet, but I got use to it.

Last edited by vamp36; 11-11-2004 at 01:25 PM.

Old 11-26-2004, 09:14 AM   #5
    razzelspaz
    (female)

razzelspaz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hapbob
    Answers to help. The drugs out there I guess work..but is there a better diet or routine with eating times for gerd to be also be helped? What foods are good for you and what are bad. I used to drink a lot of soda but now I drink fruit juice is this a good thing or is it only water? Just would like to get others imput to what helps them with gerd besides the medication
    Hap
    I can understand your pain...I've been on Protonix for awhile now. While it does help (sometimes my body defeats even the medicine on some days), I hate having to take medicine every morning. There are a few diet changes that I've had to make in order to lessen the pain that I suffer from GERD.
    So, here's my reply to your questions:

I've noticed that dairy seems to coat my stomach and actually improve the condition. I'm not talking about cheese on a pizza, I'm talking about foods such as yogurt and icecream. Some people complain that dairy DOESN'T help, but I've found it to be VERY helpful.

There are a LOT of foods that you should probably stay away from when dealing with GERD. Foods that are spicey, hard to digest, and acidic in nature. This includes a lot of mexican foods, foods with several herbs and spices added in, corn, fruits that tend to be very acidic (oranges are a big one).

Soda is a killer. Although I never drank soda more than once a month, I've completely cut it out. Soda burns my chest and gives me a horrible feeling. As far as the fruit juice goes, I think it depends on what type of fruit juice you are drinking. A lot of fruit juices (such as ORANGE juice) really aggravate my acid reflux, so I've stuck to water. Fruits in general are more acidic in nature, so I choose to stay away from those drinks altogether. Water is the one liquid that is good for your WHOLE body.

As far as other lifestyle changes that I've made to help my GERD, I've found that eating small meals throughout the day, rather than three big meals has helped. If you don't have time to do that, try eating smaller meals. When you eat larger meals, you are forced to digest more, which seems to aggravate my stomach and I tend to get more heartburn after a larger meal.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #6
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Meds are the only thing that helps my gerd.If i dont take them it doesnt matter what i eat i still get reflux.Take care

Old 01-16-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

So far Nexium is helping but perfectly but down to a simmer and I've only been on it this time a week. Even water gave me the burn! I've tried all the others and what the Dr wants me to do is take nexium for amonth or til it is really under control and then take protonix as a maintenance course. Hopefully this will work.

Old 01-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
    wels663
    (male)

wels663 HB User

Does this happen to you guys? right after u eat something that is spicy or something you're not supposed to, u would feel this tightness in your throat?

Old 01-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Does anyone suffer with bad tastes in your mouth from certain foods?

Old 01-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #10
    tattooyu
    (male)

tattooyu HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wels663
    Does this happen to you guys? right after u eat something that is spicy or something you're not supposed to, u would feel this tightness in your throat?
    Absolutely!

I just got back from my second chiro appointment and we discussed that. It's from the irritation of the acid in the esophagous. I believe what you are describing is the Globus sensation (lump in the throat). My GERD started after I strained the part of my back (during a move) that connects to the digestive nerves, so if you are having back pain in the middle of your back, you might want to check it out.

I just started taking Aloe Vera juice (1 tsp before each meal) dliuted or not, and it seems to be helping quite a bit. It tastes kind of nasty (not too bad) so I mix it in some Papaya nectar. Try to find a brand of aloe with no Aloin in it. Aloin is the yellowish part right under the aloe vera plant's skin that can cause diarrhea. I believe Desert Harvest (no I don't work for them) removes that in their product, but I'm sure there are others that are just as good.

Also, I limit my carb and wheat intake which seems to make it worse for me. That, and acidic foods/drinks. God, I miss chocolate!

Old 01-19-2005, 04:13 PM   #11
    don444
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

Fatty foods are the worse for me.
    BUTTER is my big no-no!

Old 01-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hapbob
    Hap
    I just noticed this board, I have been on the Lasik board for a little while now(hence the name). Anyway, I kind of stumbled into the perfect diet for Acid Reflux. I know it sounds overly hyped but, you have got to trust me on this. I would suffer from GERD at least once a month for 2 weeks or more at a time. So, imagine how fun my life with food was. Anyway, I was about 30 pounds heavier that I wanted to be and my husband and I just decided to try the Low-Carb Atkins diet. That was nearly a year ago (February 2, 2004). I have only had one acid reflux/GERD attack since I went on the diet and that was, during the holidays. I remember reading that people who suffer from acid reflux/GERD have stopped having symptoms since being on the diet. I believe I read it in one of the several Low Carb books that my hubby and I bought at the beginning of our diet. Go figure, it was true. I don't know if it is because you stop eating so much pasta and pizza and all of those other really red foods that are a key ingredient in the problem of GERD. But, even if i stay away from the spicier, redder foods but up my carb intake too high during those times when I start to slack off on the diet, I start to feel the beginning sign of GERD trouble. I don't take any medication to control my reflux anymore. If you aren't willing to do the low carb thing, then I would suggest that you at least cut out anything acidic like juices, and tomato based food, as well as cutting out fiesty spices. I don't know what is good and what is not. All I know is that the low card diet has kept me GERD free for nearly a year barring any slip ups in my routine.

I didn't read every post in this thread so, I don't know if someone has or has not already made this suggestion. I am sorry if I am repeating anything that someone else already said, but, as soon as I saw your post, I felt inclined to share my success. I know how awful this disease is. I wouldn't wish it on the Devil if I had the chance. Being attack free for a year has been a God send and if I can help just one person feel better with my earned knowledge than I can only feel that much better about the battle of this disease!

Old 01-22-2005, 08:26 PM   #13
    Hating glasses
    Veteran
    (female)

Hating glasses HB User

tattooyu, if you miss chocolate, try a Hershey's One Carb bar. They are actually one of the more tasty low carb bars, a good low carb snack and very satisfying for that sweet tooth of the chocolate persuasion. And, having had really disabling acid reflux myself, I have found that I never have any problems with those bars. You can find them in your grocery store. Usually where all the other low card or diet stuff is. But, if you can't find them, as someone in the store and they should be able to help you. Good luck! You don't have to miss out on the good stuff in life. The fact that you are curbing your carb intake is a good thing. I have been acid reflux attack free for nearly a year (with the acception of during the recent holidays...my weakness).

Closed Thread