It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• GERD or something more serious - please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2004, 02:25 AM   #1
    njben
    (male)

njben HB User
    GERD or something more serious - please help

Hello,

For the record, I am a 30-year old male and a smoker for about 8 years at 1 ppd. I am overweight. I was worked up for gall bladder attacks about 8 months ago, but the US was negative and the attacks abated after a few weeks of a changed diet (no grease) and some alternative treatment (not the olive oil and lemon but some specialized supplement pills). The general opinion was that if I did have stones, they may have passed.

My symptoms go back about 2 months. It was originally a lot of deep throat irration (like not the back of my mouth but down by my larynx) such as transient hoarseness, throat clearing, occasional soreness, and a globus sensation. These symptoms were not constant but I felt it most of the day. The only real relief was simply by eating. A good mean gave me some good time of relief. I did some research and learned that this could be cause by GERD so I began to take Pepcid (I do have a long history of frequent heartburn and nighttime reflux). About a month ago, I vomited - but that was from some Chinese food that did not agree with me and the vomiting itself was not related to all this. But the vomiting totally irritated my throat. That day and the next it hurt to talk and it probably took a good week for that irritation to completely go away. I am not sure of that part is related as I have never had that kind of reaction to vomiting before

The Pepcid worked in that my irritation subsided and my symptoms were going down, but I did begin to feel as through I had a burp stuck in my throat and my upper esophageal sphincter was spasing a lot - especially worse during times of stress. I switched to taking Prilosec about 10 days ago (20mg q24h) and that has really done wonders. Any lasting larynx irritation has abated, my upper sphincter seems to have settled down I would say about 90% (I occasionaly still get it a bit), and the feeling of burp stuck in my throat has also been slowly but consistently improving. I do still belch a lot however. Just in case this has anything to do with my symptoms, I helped lift a couch the other day and since then I have been having an occasional dull ache (especially when leaning forward) in my upper abdomen, just below my breast bone - but that is minor and it is very occasional and seems to have improved since then. Maybe that is just a pulled muscle, but the couch was not that heavy, and I would rather give too much here then leave something out that may be a clue.

I have no trouble swallowing and if anything, eating or drinking (especially carbonated beverages oddly enough) relieves my symptoms.

I know I put a lot of information in here and perhaps a lot of it was not necessary. But I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to what this can be. My biggest fear, of course, is esophageal cancer. But whatever it may be, I would like any input anyone can provide. Thanks!

- Ben

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
    Meridith
    (female)

Meridith HB User
    Re: GERD or something more serious - please help

Hi Ben:
    I am new here and I have similar symptoms. I too am seeking answers as I have spent about a month doing procedures and seeing Drs. Mostly I feel like a head case for thinking the worst. I have gone to numerous Web-sites and diagnosed myself with all kinds of stuff. The best advice I have recieved so far, is based on most of the stuff you worry about never happens. I had to drink barrium for a look at my esophagus and that was to determine if there was any damage. There wasn't so that was a relief. Anyway there is comfort in knowing that someone out there understands your concerns. Hang in there, try not to worry, stress just isn't good for anything.
    Meridith

Old 12-01-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
    imvic46

imvic46 HB User

Hi Ben,
    You sound like a case of GERD waiting for a perscription medication. I have been through all that you are going through. (AND THEN SOME) I have IBS too. If you think the prilosec helped, you should get Nexium. That stuff has worked wonders for me. Yes, the carbonated beverages help with the GERD lump in the throat, but only temporarily and then it's right back. (Right?) You need to get your esophagus healed. Raise the head of your bed 6 inches off the floor with wood or blocks, stay away from anything with caffiene, including chocolate. Stay away from pepperment and spicy foods. I too am a smoker. It does aggrevate GERD because it relaxes the LES which is not working correctly to begin with. You can cause serious damage to your throat without proper treatment. Since you are responding to Prilosec, you should not worry about cancer right now. Worry about getting to a doctor for an upper GI (very easy) and get on the right medication to heal you. Cancer of the espohagus happens, but mostly to men over the age of 50 and usually if they have abused cigarettes and alcohol. But it can happen to any of us with untreated GERD. Please take care of yourself. Sorry about the long post. By the way....do you have sinus trouble too? That is often another symptom.
    Vickey

Old 01-16-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Really does sound like gerd.Take care.

Closed Thread