It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Gerd/ Gastritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
    avglenn
    (male)

avglenn HB User
    Gerd/ Gastritis

Are these two of the same thing ? Or two different problems ? I have been diagnosed with Gerd for 20 years now, take aciphex, which helps , but after a scope I had done, the doc. said I have Gastritis symptoms. Did the Gerd cause this ? Just curious because 90% of the day my stomach feels like a volcano waitng to erupt. Also have alot of gas/ bloatedness/ chest pressure. Thanks for any info. !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    Re: Gerd/ Gastritis

Gastritis can cause GERD because of the acid build up! I have had gastritis for 20 plus years also and developed GERD in the last 8 yrs, as well as pernicious anemia, another complication from gastritis!

Old 01-16-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

No there not the same thing ,gerd is usually a long term disease,where gastritis is not .Have you been tested for h.pylori?Take care.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Also gastritis can be cause by being anemic,h.pylori infection,taking to many nsaids.When i said that gastritis is not long term i meant that you dont have it everyday of your life it can come and go.I believe the gastritis can be a chronic or acute kind.Take care.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Talking Re: Gerd/ Gastritis

Also gastritis can be cause by being anemic,h.pylori infection,taking to many nsaids.When i said that gastritis is not long term i meant that you dont have it everyday of your life it can come and go.I believe the gastritis can be a chronic or acute kind.Take care.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Sorry bout the double posts.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
    Cara24
    (female)

Cara24 HB User

Hi Danag,

I have had gerd and gastritis for over 15 years AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HYPLORI THAT CAUSES CANCER THE DOCS SAY. I SUFFER BAD FROM GERD TOO. Get yourself tested for Hyplori that is what causes gerd and ulcers. Hope this helps.

Robyn

Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
    avglenn
    (male)

avglenn HB User

Thanks for all the input ! I was tested for h.pylori which was negative, and thats when the doc said I had gastritis along w/ gerd. I take meds for low back surgery which doesnt help my stomach, but eating smaller meals(portions) seems to help ! Thanks D.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:47 PM   #9
    TJN
    Inactive
    (female)

TJN HB User

Chronic gastritis usually causes no symptoms. Some gastritis never goes away , neither does it cause symptoms. H pylori for example usually causes no symptoms because in the majority of people it produces only a superficial gastritis that does not penetrate the deep layers of the stomach. Almost the entire continent of Africa has it , with virtually no ill effects. It can cause ulcers in a few , and stomach cancer over the years in a small minority but many doctors do not beleive in treating h pylori in asymptomatic individuals.

H pylori does not cause GERD, the treatment actually can exacerbate GERD. And studies show that the bacteria actually offers protection to the esophagus.

There are hundreds of causes of gastritis from various bacteria, to food, to viruses, to meds taken. Meds like aspirin etc can thin the stomach lining . Gastritis increases with age , the mucous lining in the stomach thins out as we age. The doctor can tell by viewing the gastritis as to if it could cause symptoms. If it isn't penetrating the deeper layers of the stomach it is unlikely to cause symptoms. Mild gastritis does not cause symptoms for example.

Gastritis has little to do with too much acid in the stomach, most gastritis involves too little acid. Most people with GERD have gastritis as well. GERD medications can also cause gastritis by depleting the acid from the stomach . The development of gastritis involves an imbalace of pepsin vs acid vs bile , a depletion of mucous production, and thinning of the stomach lining .

Eating small meals really can help GERD. : )

Last edited by TJN; 01-21-2005 at 09:50 PM.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #10
    avglenn
    (male)

avglenn HB User

Thats great information...Thank you !!

Old 01-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #11
    bdmesq
    (male)

bdmesq HB User

have your vitamin b12 levels checked.
    take shots if these are under 300 for sure.

Last edited by bdmesq; 01-29-2005 at 05:20 PM.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:23 PM   #12
    bdmesq
    (male)

bdmesq HB User

check vitamin b12 levels
    anything under 300 needs shots,

Closed Thread