It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Anyone Experience Other GERd Symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
    Cara24
    (female)

Cara24 HB User
    Anyone Experience Other GERd Symptoms?

Hi My Name is Robyn,

Here is My History Diagnosed with Gastritis in 1989 Hyplori in 1993
    History of Lymes disease in 1997 and thyroid condition in 2001.

I suffer from many different illnesses, but my main annoyance is GERD!
    I was wondering does anyone suffer from any of these same scary symptoms like I do daily. Heart palpitations IBS Tachycardia especially if my stomach is bloated . consistent Very painful Diahrrea and bad cramping bad menstrual cramps. Tachycardia and hot flashes between 5 or less days before menstruation. Heart pounding. Trouble breathing with a pressure feeling in my throat and cramps in my esophagus. I can,t climb stairs or tolerate Heat or very cold weather. My heart will start racing faster after I climb stairs and takes a long time to slow down. Or my heart will skip constantly. I live in fear and have so much anxiety I can,t go out of the house alone at times. I feel like I am allergic to myself. everytime I paint or try to dye my hair my heart starts beating too fast for no reason. I am like allergic to everything I breathe in. Perfumes fireplace pollens set my heart off, what the heck is going on? I have been to a cardiologist and all tests came out normal. My endocrinologist says theres nothing he can do for me, because my thyroid is not bad enough level 23. I know i sound like a hypochondriac but this is real. It is not an anxiety attack. I have an allergist and he told me I was just allergic to mold. That is hard to believe so many things make me sick to my stomach and when I can,t eat My heart skips consistently, my shoulders feel weighted down and ache I can,t breathe. When it is cold out my heart skips or races fast and My gerd or lungs hurt worse. Please help I don,t know what to do. I can,t even go to the dentist for fear my heart will start racing because of the novicane they inject into you. I don,t know what is wrong with me, I,m sooo SCARED TO DEATH.. I take my life day by day.

If someone has had these experiences Please email me back
    or Please give me some advice, too boot I have no medical ins. and I am a [ please carefully review the posting rules - do not reveal your past, current or future profession ].
    I,m sorry this is so long.

Thank You
    Robyn

[ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

Last edited by moderator2; 01-21-2005 at 07:34 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
    Meridith
    (female)

Meridith HB User
    Re: Anyone Experience Other GERd Symptoms?

Robyn I think that your anxiety has gotten the best of you and that regardless of having no health insurance, it is pretty important to see a Dr at this point. Anxiety can make GERD worse if gone untreated and then the symptoms of Gerd can depress the heck out of you. You are not alone, we are all here for you. Heart beating fast IMO can be very related to GERD and anxiety. If you absolutely cannot get to a Dr. then you really need to try relaxing techniques. Yoga, Breathing, whatever it takes. Take care and keep us posted.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
    Ballmom_14
    (female)

Ballmom_14 HB User

Hi Robyn....
    I have had GERD for a long time now (at least 10 years), and I've had the Nissen fundoplication surgery 3 years ago. I don't get the typical heartburn symptoms anymore (burning throat and chest), but I do still have a hard time swallowing.

I also have been experiencing the symptoms you discussed -- tachycardia, heart skipping beats, and this always happens about a half-hour after a big meal, or many times walking up stairs or walking long distances (anything that takes a little effort, and my heart goes haywire). I have had EKGs and nothing has ever popped up, except that the doctor will confirm that my pulse is a little high, and then he usually mentions something about anxiety. I really don't think it's anxiety-related, because it consistently happens when I eat or exercise.

As far as experiencing those problems you mentioned before your period, I have that problem too. In fact, there have been a few times that I actually felt like I had thrown out my lower back, and the pain goes away after a few days, when I start my period.

Anyhow, I don't have any magic cures for all this, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I know that I felt better just reading your post, because I thought this was all in my head -- at least this is what people have been telling me.

THanks for your post

Old 01-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
    Cara24
    (female)

Cara24 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DixieNten
    Hi Robyn....
    I have had GERD for a long time now (at least 10 years), and I've had the Nissen fundoplication surgery 3 years ago. I don't get the typical heartburn symptoms anymore (burning throat and chest), but I do still have a hard time swallowing.

I also have been experiencing the symptoms you discussed -- tachycardia, heart skipping beats, and this always happens about a half-hour after a big meal, or many times walking up stairs or walking long distances (anything that takes a little effort, and my heart goes haywire). I have had EKGs and nothing has ever popped up, except that the doctor will confirm that my pulse is a little high, and then he usually mentions something about anxiety. I really don't think it's anxiety-related, because it consistently happens when I eat or exercise.

As far as experiencing those problems you mentioned before your period, I have that problem too. In fact, there have been a few times that I actually felt like I had thrown out my lower back, and the pain goes away after a few days, when I start my period.

Anyhow, I don't have any magic cures for all this, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. I know that I felt better just reading your post, because I thought this was all in my head -- at least this is what people have been telling me.

THanks for your post

Old 01-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
    Cara24
    (female)

Cara24 HB User

Hi Dixie,

Thank You for taking the time to read my post. I am glad my post made you feel better. At least I am not alone. As soon as I start working, I am going to see an endocrinologist to take care of my thyroid disorder. My hormones are so screwed up that is what is causing the majority of my issues. I have found a great website concerning thyroid . If you are interested Im me and I will send you the link.

Warmest Regards
    Robyn

Old 01-29-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Gee, that was like reading about myself. I think, like it or not the anxiety is working overtime on you. I finally had to start taking xanax when it got so bad, my GERD got worse so now I have to take a med for it and this in turn makes me more anxious and it becomes a dominoe effect. Have you been tested for Mitral Valve Prolapse yet? This is a benign heart condition of non life threatening events, trouble breathing, palpatations, tachycardia, anxiety, it all works together to make you feel like doom and gloom. I have MVP as well as barrett's, osteo and a host of conditions and when my anxiety is up everything seems ten times worse. You might want to look into this as well just to put your mind at ease.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
    Cara24
    (female)

Cara24 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NancyH
    Gee, that was like reading about myself. I think, like it or not the anxiety is working overtime on you. I finally had to start taking xanax when it got so bad, my GERD got worse so now I have to take a med for it and this in turn makes me more anxious and it becomes a dominoe effect. Have you been tested for Mitral Valve Prolapse yet? This is a benign heart condition of non life threatening events, trouble breathing, palpatations, tachycardia, anxiety, it all works together to make you feel like doom and gloom. I have MVP as well as barrett's, osteo and a host of conditions and when my anxiety is up everything seems ten times worse. You might want to look into this as well just to put your mind at ease.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:31 PM   #8
    Cara24
    (female)

Cara24 HB User

Hi nancy,
    I,m so glad I,m not alone. as I speak to you my heart is pounding out of my chest, but not due to anxiety. I think it might be from having had the flu for 2 days now. Can you tell me more about the test for MVP? almost 3 years ago I went to my mothers cardiologist and they did a 24 hour holter moniter and and ultra sound of my heart and didn,t find anything wrong.. I guess thats good! Did you have the same test, to determine your MVP? I think I had better go back to the doc.. No medical insurance unfortunately? Last night I had an episode. I walked up two flights of stairs to pick up a friends kid from cub scout meeting, I could not breathe when I reached the top. I thought I was going to pass out and my heart was beating so crazy fast for 10 minutes. I know that wasn,t from anxiety.. I had to sit down. Thank god meeting wasn,t over for 10 minutes. Other people were looking at me, I must have been turning white? How embaressing?

Talk to you soon

Sincerely
    Robyn

Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #9
    lannen

lannen HB User

Cara, I have had some of the same issues you are dealing with. It does sound like anxiety is playing a role in how you are feeling. For months, I totally denied that anxiety could have any part of my chest pains, r**** heartbeat, stomach pain, etc. The fact of the matter is anxiety can effect you even when you don't think it is. I used to get all these body symptoms just sitting there watching TV. I'd think well of course it's not anxiety, what would I be anxious about just sitting here.
    This is not to say that you don't have GERD. I have that too. I believe that the GERD actually causes alot of my pains, but the anxiety magnifies it. Which came first the anxiety or the Gerd? Who knows.
    Since you don't have insurance you may want to check out a few books on dealing with Anxiety. I read some by Lucinda Bassett. After reading them I could no longer deny that I was having some anxiety issues. You may be shocked to read about yourself. To be honest reading about it and talking about it with other people who have anxiety has been more helpful than my Dr. ever was. It has been my experience that Dr's know very little about anxiety and offer no real solution aside from prescription meds. It's also been my experience that Dr's offer very little help with Gerd also. So I guess it is up to us to help ourselves to some degree.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #10
    storms_refuge
    (female)

storms_refuge HB User

Robyn,
    I am probably replying to something way too late here.... but there is something called reactive airways disease. You can be diagnosed by blowing into a machine, very simple and non-invasive test. This can make your airways react to things such as smoke, dyes, perfumes, etc. You do not have to have an actual allergy to something to have your wairway react if you have this. It is a very misunderstood illness and many docs even confused it with COPD, which it is not.
    Also as for the dentist and your heart beating fast. You can inform the dentist that you have issues with rapid heartrate at times, and request that he/she use a non epinepherine numbing agent. (i.e. lidocaine or novacaine) This will insure that the numbing agent will not increase your heart. It might make the shot slightly less effectove, but I always request it from my dentist and we manage with it.
    Anxiety can certainly cause a rapid heart and a squeezing sensation in your throat, but I like to rule out other possibilities first, before assuming it is the cause.
    Also about hair dye...I always open a window while I am applying it and try to stay where it is well ventilated until you rinse it out. Try to abstain from using things that contain MSG or sulfites, because if you do have any sort of physically based breathing issue, these additives can make them really act up.
    WHat type of allergy testing did they do?" The one on your back with the little needles? Were you taking any frm of medication for allergies at the time of the test? If you are allergic to mold......try not eating breads, vinegar, or any form of cheese aside from processed cheese such as that in mac and cheese, etc. As well as no fermented beverages (alcohol). These things are made by processes that can cause mold reactive people to react to them, as well. Check labels, because you might be eating these things even when you think you are not.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:00 AM   #11
    Gareth_rogers

Gareth_rogers HB User

Hi I also ended up with the fundo for the GERD. Even though I do not get the acid in my throat anymore I still have the stomach troubles and chest pains and dizzyness.
    I think either my dizzyness is because of gas or the vagus nerve is being irritated. It seems as though you can patch up the symptoms with PPI's/surgery/drugs but the root cause remains......whether it be stress/bacteria/alergies etc....

Old 03-03-2005, 09:01 AM   #12
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User

Cara24
    Maybe you need to see a dermatologist also besides the allergist.....one that can do the patch testing on your back. They just put allergens against you skin and cover it over with tape for 48 hours to see if you are sensitive to something. You can find out a lot from these tests. Your symptoms could come from latex, carba mix, balsam of peru or a host of others. Balsam of peru is in so many fragrences, dental cement, etc. and carba mix is in medication rubber vial stoppers i.e., novacaine, etc., adhesives i.e., band aids, ports on IV tubing, blood pressure cuffs, you name it. It is in natural and synthetic rubber. I found out the hard way that I am allergic to them. Also, I was using cortisone on my hand eczema and it was getting worse and found out I am allergic to cortisone...so you never know. As far as the GERD I have the worst gastritis/upper esophagitis/acid reflux. I am on 30 mg Prevacid AM, 30 mg Prevacid PM and 300 mg zantac PM and it keeps me up at night. That is when it is at it's worst. I just don't know what to do anymore. I am in very poor health otherwise and have severe osteoporosis and am allergic to most drugs so I don't know if I could survive surgery. I had a mastectomy almost 3 years ago and since then have gone downhill rapidly. Hope you will be OK. Best

Suggi

Closed Thread