It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Palpitations or GERD??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
    DanniB
    (female)

DanniB HB User
    Palpitations or GERD??

Hi everyone -
    I am new to this forum and want to tell everyone with GERD that I am sorry - it's awful. For me the worst part is feeling like I constantly have a burp stuck in my throat and then when it comes up another one comes right behind it.
    When it finally does come up it's acid.
    Here's my question. Does anyone ever get what they think is a skipped beat but it's actually the GERD. I think that it may be worse for me becasue I have what my docotor describes as a "dynamic pulse" and you can actually see the pulse in my throat so I feel everthing in that area and assume that it's my heart.
    Anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
    Katt5220
    (female)

Katt5220 HB User
    Re: Palpitations or GERD??

Hi,
    Nice to meet you. I have heart palps with my GERD too. I have just been recently diagnosied but before that my DR wanted to tell me I was having panic attacks. I am still going thru testing but this sucks.

Katt

Old 03-01-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Palpitations can be caused by GERD and of course a host of other conditions as well. I know when my GERD is acting up, which is most of the time, the palps are more active or maybe more noticed. I hate this, it sucks and nothing so far is giving me ultimate relief. I'm now on my 4th different drug for this and if this doesn't do it, surgery is next. So we all agree, this sucks!!!! Hang in there!

Old 03-02-2005, 05:03 AM   #4
    DanniB
    (female)

DanniB HB User

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Do either of you live in New England? I'm just wondering becasue it seems like after this incredibly long winter my anxiety and my GERD just flared right up! Do either live with a significant other who doesn't seem to understand either? My husband tries so hard to understand but I can tell that he gets frustrated - a LOT! Maybe we both just need the sunshine!

Old 03-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
    hopeless_gurl
    (female)

hopeless_gurl HB User

I too get the heart palps. sometimes so intense that I get breifly lightheaded.
    I have anxiety really bad..... and sometimes I get what I call the (shakes or weak trembles) I am yet to be told by my doc. that it was gerd related and he hasnt really told me anything. I went in today for yet another upper GI and small bowel study. we will see how this one turns out. because I can eat and im choking and burping up the undigested food the next day even. most days I can only handle one small meal and this is hard when my GERD or IBS is acting up who knows which one is causing what?
    at times I wake up in the morning trembling with my heart racing... I hate this stuff and I want my life back.. from one thing to another. I suffered endometriosis for 16 years then after total hysterectomy ... I have been diag. with IBS, GRADE 2 GERD, HIATAL HERNIA,ESAPHAGITIS, ANXIETY DISORDER w/ DEPRESSION AT TIMES
    NOW HAVE FOUND NODULES IN MY THYROID I SEE endocronoligist next month for that... hope i didnt leave anything out.
    Id just like to know WHEN IS IS OVER.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND ALL OF US!

Old 03-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #6
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I don't live in new england but I do have anxiety disorder and the 2 tend to go hand in hand and it wasn't til recently that I was told anxiety can make GERD worse, now they tell me. I'm drug phobic and don't like pills but I've been faithful with these ppi's, since I do have mild barrett's. Heck, I'm always anxious and if I had known it worsen gerd I would have taken my medicene more consistently. My hubby tries to understand about anxiety, he tries not to show it but gets frustrated as well. He has mild acid reflux himself but only once in awhile, not 24/7 like me. I can't blame mine on the weather since seattle is experiencing mild sunny days here, but when it rains my anxiety triples I think. The two of them really make life miserable and it sucks big time.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:56 AM   #7
    DanniB
    (female)

DanniB HB User

Do any of you wake up in the morning and instantly know if it's going to be a good day or bad day? Do you think we just tell ourselves what type of day it will be and then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy? I woke up this morning sure tha tit would be a bad Anxiety/GERD day and so far it's been true!! Sometimes I get so mad at my own brain!

Old 03-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User

Hopeless Gurl
    I can relate ------- I have all those plus breast cancer survivor and severe osteoporosis and Crohn's disease. Allergic to most drugs. My gastritis/upper esophagitis/acid reflux is worse during the night and keeps me up. My bed is 8 inches off the floor at the head of the bed and doesn't do a thing. I am on 30 mg Prevacid AM, 30 mg Prevacid PM and 300 mg Zantac PM -- doesn't do a thing. I just about give up. Yes, my husband gets frustrated. I try not to complain but I live in New England and this has been a terrible winter for me. I also can't get rid of a sinus thing that I have had most of the winter. I went on a round of low dose antibiotics once but PCP won't give me any again as I have gotten allergic to most of them and can't take high doses because of the Crohn's. Take care.

Suggi

Old 03-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
    DanniB
    (female)

DanniB HB User

Suggi - Hang in there - you are not alone!! Spring has to come eventually, right? So many people have told me that their symptoms have been awful this winter. My wish for Spring will be for all of us to feel better!! Blessings.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #10
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User

DanniB
    Thanks for the encouragement but I can't wait too long. I have a crowned, root canaled tooth that hurts and has to come out and is supposed to come out 3/14 but my PCP says I can't have it out until my sinuses are better. It is an upper tooth with the roots in the sinuses. Sooooo spring better come soon as I may as well just postpone the appointment now before April gets all filled up.

Suggi

Old 03-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #11
    hopeless_gurl
    (female)

hopeless_gurl HB User

Suggi, my heart goes out to you. ((lots of hugs)) You certainally must be a tough lady!
    as for the anxiety issue. well, my gastro has strongly recommended that I get back on something for depression to help with that . as well as has my gyn. and family phys.
    I just feel like im taking so much stuff right now that I dont want to do another pill and all this stuff has its own bad side effects. let alone combining the big concoxtion together! I have nexium 2x day, klonopin (anxiety), reglan 3x (gerd/IBS)...fibercon tabs. 2 calcium & vit D a day( osteopenia) allegra (allergy). alora hrt( hormones due to hysterectomy for enodmetriosis) and stopped taking zelnorm too many cramps.
    Im just sick and tired of being sick n tired! and I wish it would all go away!!!!
    Im so glad I have you all to whine and vent to !

Old 03-04-2005, 06:42 AM   #12
    DanniB
    (female)

DanniB HB User

Hey guys -
    It is important to have people to talk to that understand the situation. I think that too many "outsiders" have that - it's all in her head - reaction. I hate to know that you guys are going through this, too - but it does help to know that I am not alone. Let's all try to use the weekend to take a break from what we're feeling and see how it goes!! I am planning a ride up the coast, it may be winter but the ocean still makes me feel better! Pick something good to do for yourself and do it!! We deserve it!
    Danni

Old 06-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
    KPSRA
    (male)

KPSRA HB User

I cant believe I found this site, I am experiencing and researching this too. Seems there is alot of commonality between us all. I found that my heart skipped a beat when I had a weird feeling just below the sternum a little to the left. Every time it happens my heart will miss a beat. Dr says it isnt happening becaue they couldnt feel it but I didnt have the queesy feeling when they tested. A Dr friend of mine suggested a 24 heart monitor which records everything. Havent done anything yet and this has been going on 6 months. Lots more to say and discuss, but later. Good health to everyone and hope we find a cure to this.

PS I was also diagnosed with GERD but have had problems for about 10 years or so.

KPSRA

Old 06-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
    huffnpuff
    (female)

huffnpuff HB User

I had that feeling of heart palpitations for the longest time also - infrequently, but bothersome. I wondered what was going on. I did have the Holter 24 hour monitor and experienced them with it on. The monitor did not record one single heart palpitation, which led the doctor to advise me it was a spasm of the esophagus. The palpitations or whatever they are, make you feel funny, but since knowing it is not my heart, I am more relaxed about it and drink water or try to ignore it, since I know the GERD is the problem. The opening to my stomach from the esophagus is chronically open, never closes, hence the spasms from the acid reflux. I take Aciphex twice daily for it and it does a pretty good job. The key is to relax if at all possible.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 AM   #15
    Jilldev
    (female)

Jilldev HB User

to huffnpuff

I'm curious about the spasm of the esophogus - sometimes I can't tell if it's a heart palp or if it's gas stuck under somewhere - frequently when I 'burp' the palp goes away, and once I did wonder if the esophogus could spasm? Sometimes I think I'm nuts, just crazy for all the worrying I do. Lat night when trying to sleep, I kept getting this warm sensation rush up from my stomach to my head, I worried, but then wondered if it was just anxiety! It happened a few times, I worried it was my heart, but I must have gotten some sleep. Do you notice when your stomach is empty you have palps?

Closed Thread