It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Maddening lump in throat...so many questions...HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
    AdnRo
    (female)

AdnRo HB User
    Maddening lump in throat...so many questions...HELP

Hi all,
    I believe I am a new GERD sufferer.
    Here is my story:
    I had an EXTREMELY stressful couple of weeks in February. I started getting a burning nausea sensation in my stomach, but no vomiting. I could not eat for over a week, and would feel extremely full and nauseated after a couple of bites. That episode subsided after a couple of weeks, but now I just have this annoying lump in my throat feeling with no stomach symptoms at all (except a rather sharp intermittent pain under my left ribs that sometimes radiates to my back).
    I have a very "hands off" doctor who really drags his feet at doing any tests on me (I think it's because I'm only 26 and most of his patients are older...I believe he thinks there probably isn't anything really wrong with me cause I'm young). He said he was very reluctant to do a barium swallow or a CAT scan (for the left sided pain) due to the radiation. An endoscopy hasn't come up. I did have a colonocsopy for rectal bleeding a while back, and he was fairly reluctant to order it (turned out to be internal hemorrhoids).
    He put me on Prilosec twice a day.
    My questions:
    1) Does gerd cause pain under the ribs (left sided)?
    2) Should the lump in the throat feeling go away with the Prilosec? If it hasn't, should I try something else-or does the lump in the throat just persist since it's not a "classic" gerd symptom?
    3) Can emotional stress trigger gerd (in someone that never had gerd before)?
    I've read a lot of the threads on this board and I am really impressed by how knowledgable you gerd sufferers are!! Hopefully you can shed some light-any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
    Neverenoughslee
    (female)

Neverenoughslee HB User
    Re: Maddening lump in throat...so many questions...HELP

Read up on some of the threads on LPR (silent reflux). Its different than GERD and can take MONTHS for the meds to work

In the meantime, I would find An ENT who can atleast do a simple laryngoscope on you. Its done rigth there in the office and takes 2 minutes with no prep.

Good luck!

Closed Thread