It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• nothing relieves my acid reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
    gnznroses
    (male)

gnznroses HB User
    Angry nothing relieves my acid reflux

I have really bad acid reflux. It's caused red sores in my throat that have been there for over a year. I'm currently taking Prevacid, and I also take a tablespoon of Maalox before bed. Next to my bed I have a bottle of tums and a glass of water so I can grab those throughout the night. My bed is also raised 8 inches at the head. Yet I still have a burning throat all night and in the morning. What can I do to relieve this? I'm having an Upper GI done shortly, and the doctor said I may need an endoscopy after that or surgery down the road.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
    blondy2061h
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blondy2061h HB User
    Re: nothing relieves my acid reflux

Make sure you are not taking the over the counter drugs the same time you are taking the Prevacid. I would say not to take them within two hours of each other. The OTC drugs can prevent the Prevacid from working, I believe.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
    zoot_suit_brian

zoot_suit_brian HB User

Hello,
    I went to a vitamin store they recommended, acidophilus. I have been on it for two days..havent noticed it helping yet, but the guy there was pretty convinced that it is very helpful. its bacteria that is suppose to help digestion, you might try it.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Zoot-Acidophilus is the same active bacteria that is in yogurt. Yogurt has always been known for helping digestion. You can probably get the same results as the acidophilus with just plain old yogurt, plus the benefit of calcium which is also a mild antacid. I don't know though the pills from the vitamin store may be in a higher concertration than yogurt and thus more beneficial, or you make not like eating yogurt. I'd do a web search on acidophilus to get more info. of whether the pills are more beneficial than just yogurt.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
    gnznroses
    (male)

gnznroses HB User

thanks, i'll look into that.

i also posted this to another forum I've been to before, and here's two replies I got. anyone have comments about their suggestions?

Quote:
    Have you tried Carafate? It is a simple prescription drug which just coats the stomach and somewhat the esophagus. It has been very helpful for me. I cannot take any of the PPIs or H2 blockers, so it was my only option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throat ulcers/sores send off a 'laryngopharangeal reflux signal'. Your acid is coming up high, high into your esophagus and voicebox area. The larynx and pharynx are more fragile than the esophagus, as well as more sensitive.

You need to be seeing an ear, nose and throat doctor who understands laryngopharyngeal reflux. You probably also need to be on double, sometimes triple dose ppi's (such as prevacid, nexium, prilosec, protonix, aciphex), and sometimes people even need to add zantac or pepcid to that.

Basically, get to a throat doc and research the heck out of laryngopharangeal reflux -- many stomach doctors just don't get it and so those of us with throat symptoms are often misdiagnosed for too, too long a time. We all wish you the best.

i just did some searching about LPR and now i'm worried, cause i found something about Laryngeal Cancer which can spread to your lymph nodes. my lymph nodes have been swollen since december and the docotrs haven't been able to figure out why...

-edit-
    anyone else experience swollen lymph nodes? someone on the other forums says her lymph nodes swell when her reflux is very bad. but my lymph nodes swelled and stayed swollen. sometimes hurting fairly badly, usually right under my chin, where it feels most swollen. i've been trying for a couple of months to find a connection between my lymph nodes and acid reflux and haven't been able to. i've done a lot of googling and sifting through forums and never came across anything.

Last edited by gnznroses; 04-16-2005 at 12:46 PM.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
    tyboyz
    (female)

tyboyz HB User

I an having this problem too. I am on Prilosec 1x day and my heartburn has stop but I have a burn in the back of my throat. I am having pain under my chin and my lymph nodes are swollen too. Doctor just thinks its an infection but I'm gettin nervous.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
    gnznroses
    (male)

gnznroses HB User

i've been trying to convince my doctors i don't have allergies or this and that, but they want to try everything under the sun. none of them pay much attention to my reflux problem. i am having an Upper GI done, but i think i need an endoscopy. the doctor also is saying it could be because of heart troubles, so i'm having an EKG. i don't think my heart is the root of the problem, but it wouldn't hurt to have a look at that too.

when i go back to the doc in 3 weeks i'm gonna ask about an endocopy. i don't think an upper gi would detect something like a cyst on my larnyx. i wouldn't think. i think it just shows the shape of the esophogus and stomach. maybe to look for hiatial hernias or whatever. i dunno. i'm not looking forward to the endoscopy tho

also, i think i'm gonna start taking my prevacid twice a day. it's not what the dr. prescribed, but don't think it'd kill me... and i know some people do take it twice.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
    gnznroses
    (male)

gnznroses HB User

tyboyz, how long have your lymph nodes bene like that? and how long have you had the reflux?

oh, and i found out today my upper gi is an "upper gi with bowel follow through". i don't quite undertand what it's use is tho. i know it'll show the shape of my stomach and stuff, but i wonder if it's useful in determining damage to the esophogus or larnyx. plus it seems like having that many x-rays over 2 or more hours can't be good for you...

Old 04-18-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
    tyboyz
    (female)

tyboyz HB User

I had been complaining about heartburn and pains forever it seems until finally I demanded some kind of test and had the Upper GI with bowel in Feb and they found the reflux with that. The upper gi is not that bad except that you have to drink a few jugs of the barium stuff - it just tastes like chalk. I asked about the x-ray thing too and they said it was low dose. They also don't have to take pictures for the whole 2 hours and once the barium reaches your bowel you don't have to go any further. This will not show the damage or inflamation though. The Endoscope is where they found my inflamation in the esophogaus and stomach. I am taking Prilosec for 1 month and many pains are much better in my stomach but I still have neck pain. I think my lymph nodes have been swollen for at least a couple of months could be longer but that's when I happen to feel them.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:31 AM   #10
    gnznroses
    (male)

gnznroses HB User

btw, does an endoscope go down your throat or up your nose? i thought they put it down your throat but was reading something last night about them putting it up your nose when they check your larnyx.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #11
    gnznroses
    (male)

gnznroses HB User

oh, another question tyboyz, are your lymph nodes only swollen around your nexk? mine started out that way, but now they're also swollen around my groin.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:57 AM   #12
    tyboyz
    (female)

tyboyz HB User

I don't believe mine are but around my jaw definitely are. I have stopped taking the prilosec to see if anything changes. Please let me know how you are doing or what you may have found out??

Old 04-29-2005, 11:44 AM   #13
    gnznroses
    (male)

gnznroses HB User

i'm not positive mine are around my groin, but it hurts next to my leg and i believe i feal some lymph nodes there. the doc looked, but said he didn't feal any. i don't think he looked in the right spot tho and i couldn't remember where they were to show him. my armpit occasionally hurts as well, but i don't feal any lymph nodes there. i do know those are two common areas for lymph nodes to swell though.

i also have a couple of lymph nodes on the back of my neck, at about the same level as the bottom of my ear.

under my chin i have two lymph nodes that are very close together, almost or maybe even touching. and when i move my neck in certain ways, especially looking down, it feels tight there sometimes. i know when you have cancer your lymph nodes can merge together, but the doctor has felt them many times and not said anything. so i think they're just close together. plus i don't think they've really changed much since they first swelled, so i don't think it's much to worry about.

i go back to my regular doc on the 5th and i'll ask if he thinks the reflux could cause the lymph nodes to swell, but i have a fealing he'll say it can't. i know the prevacid and the zoloft i've been taking haven't helped it (or my reflux) tho.

i had an "upper gi with bowel follow through" yesterday, and the doctor there said he saw some reflux, but probably no other problems.

i'm hoping to get a different medicine other than prevacid to see if it'll help any better.

Old 04-29-2005, 02:10 PM   #14
    tyboyz
    (female)

tyboyz HB User

I just did some research and found that a very rare side effect of these reflux proton pump inhibitors is lymph node enlargement (lympadenopathy). My gastro dr has not seen it but I have since stopped taking the prilosec and hoping my nodes go down. Not sure what I will do about the reflux though since the prilosec was working so well I hate to go back to the pain!!!

This is in the Prevacid prescribing information document:

Hemic and Lymphatic System - anemia, hemolysis, lymphadenopathy;

Old 04-29-2005, 03:00 PM   #15
    mjcm123
    (female)

mjcm123 HB User

I also had that side effect in my throat but on Protonix. I am now trying Nexium. Different meds, different side effects. Keep trying and good luck!!

Closed Thread