It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• GERD or heart

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
    earck
    (male)

earck HB User
    GERD or heart

Hi, I am 20 years old and overweight. About 8 weeks ago I went to ER because of an uncomfortable feeling in my chest, not quite pain or pressure just an anxious feeling or so. Being so young and not having youth heart problems in my family they sent me home. 3-4 weeks later I went to a doctor because the symptoms were still there. She gave me an EKG and everything checked out fine and she put me on prilosec. That night i was feeling pretty bad and i went into the ER, they gave me an EKG and ran some blood tests for my heart and everything looked normal. A couple weeks after starting the prilosec i was feeling a bit better and she decided to take me off of it to see if it really is GERD that is causing the problems. Well I started feeling pretty bad again now I mostly have upper stomach pain and thightness/an anxious feeling in my upper chest. I went and and she started me on prilosec again. That was yesterday.

I am still worried that this might be a heart problem because i have a anxious feeling in my upper/left chest and sometimes mild pain. I also have been feeling bloated and sick to my stomach as of late. I used to get heartburn a lot but since this started I haven't had it at all. I also over the last couple days have felt pretty fatigued and lethargic. Do I actually have GERD even though i have what seems to be chest pain and indigestion instead of heart burn. Belching usually helps my symptoms. I am still really worried that i am having heart problems.

Sorry if this seems incoherant at times I just tried to type as much as I could remember. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by earck; 04-20-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
    mjcm123
    (female)

mjcm123 HB User
    Re: GERD or heart

If the prilosec worked ... it definitely sounds like GERD (and the symptoms that you mentioned are consistent with GERD). However, if you are still concerned, go to your GP and tell him/her you would like to get your heart thoroughly checked out. Anxiety can only make GERD worse!

Old 04-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
    earck
    (male)

earck HB User

I just started the prilosec again yesterday I will wait and see if it helps me.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
    earck
    (male)

earck HB User

A little less than a week later I am feeling a lot better stomach-wise. But now I have noticed that when i go for a walk I've felt fatigued and had a little pressure in my chest. This is for like a mile walk. Just 2 weeks ago i was going for 4-5 mile walks and feeling just fine afterwards. Can GERD cause this feeling after walking?

Closed Thread