It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• GERD/Reflux and ADVIL questions??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
    tyboyz
    (female)

tyboyz HB User
    GERD/Reflux and ADVIL questions??

I have just been diagnosed with reflux and some esphogaus/stomach inflammation caused by it. I have been on Prilosec for a month and the heartburn is gone but sore throat still exists.

Anyway I am having a problem with my leg and my GP wants me to take 2 Advil every morning for 3 weeks. I am nervous about taking Advil with my current reflux situation.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?? Would it really cause me any trouble for just once a day??
    Thank you inadvance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
    Re: GERD/Reflux and ADVIL questions??

Did you mention that to your doc when he prescribed the advil? My GI doc told me to only take tylenol because of my gastritis. There is a drug called cytotec which helps heal and protect the stomach lining and I believe that it is often prescribed to prevent stomach damage when taking antiinflammatory drugs like advil. However, it's very bad for babies, so if you are female there will probably be a pregnancy test required. Anyway, I would check with your doc and make sure that you and he are communicating about the issues involved. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
    blondy2061h
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blondy2061h HB User

I don't take any aspirin or ibuprofen. It upsets my stomach a lot. I would stick with acetamenephine.

Old 04-23-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
    tyboyz
    (female)

tyboyz HB User

I guess the thing is my GP thinks the problem in my leg is being caused by an irritation or inflamation and believes the Advil will correct it. Tylenol will not do this. I'm not sure what my alternative is??

Old 04-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
    blondy2061h
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blondy2061h HB User

I really can't think of any alternatives. Sometimes I can take the Advil Liquid Gel Caps in a half dose and get some help.

Closed Thread