It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Nexium and Gerd Questions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
    PA2LA
    (female)

PA2LA HB User
    Nexium and Gerd Questions?

I was diagnosed with GERD about 10yrs ago and this year has been quite unbearable. I've just started my third week of Nexium and while it has dramatically prevented and/or stopped anxiety, palpitations, and nausea, during the day and after eating, I still am exhibiting the pain under the rib cage and through the back (and of course excessive burping). Previously, I was on Prevacid and this seemed to help with the pain, but did nothing for the above-mentioned symptoms, which sent me to the ER in Jan. in fear I was having a heart attack.

My question is could I take 1 30mg Prevacid along with the 1 40mg Nexium I take daily, or does anyone have any recommendations for an OTC?

Also, in regards to when to take, the directions on Nexium say to take it an hour before a meal. I don't eat breakfast and exhibit early GERD symptoms within 2 hrs of waking. Could I take the Nexium after waking?

Thank You for the help!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
    mjcm123
    (female)

mjcm123 HB User
    Re: Nexium and Gerd Questions?

I've never heard of mixing two different ppis ... doesn't mean it is not done, just that I haven't heard of it. More common is to add a zantac to the Nexium or to double up on the Nexium: one in the morning and one before dinner. My understanding is that you really need to eat WITHIN one hour of taking the ppi in order for it to be effective - not eating will decrease its effectiveness. In the end, it is always best to check with your GI.

Last edited by mjcm123; 05-23-2005 at 03:12 PM.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
    LostMind
    (female)

LostMind HB User
    Re: Nexium and Gerd Questions?

I would'nt mix any PPI's unless you asked the doctors,always asked them before taking more than you should too. I know you can take antacids with a PPI and you can take antispasmatics with them too. I was on an antispasmatic until the GERD was under control. They are Bentyl, donnatol and hysocomine and im sure more. They calm your digestive tract and they calmed me to. My anxiety was almost gone, They are not for everyone but it did help me. Your doc can tell you more.

Closed Thread