It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Anyone else having dental problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
    SushiK
    (female)

SushiK HB User
    Anyone else having dental problems?

I am new to this board & I have been recently diagnosed with LPR about 3 months ago. I am currently taking Nexium 40 mg once daily. Before I knew I had LPR, I was having all kinds of dental problems & have had 2 root canals. I think I still need one or more root canals as well. I am also experiencing swollen tonsils & have had numerous throat cultures done & all coming back negative. My ENT recently prescribed prednisone to help in shrinking the tonsils - I have yet to see any results. I'm just wondering if there are others experiencing dental problems from LPR or GERD? I haven't felt well for about 9 months...it's very frustrating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
    ginger65
    (male)

ginger65 HB User
    Re: Anyone else having dental problems?

Hi Sushik,

I started experiencing a year ago what I know now to be LPR symptoms. Dental problems can happen with reflux. Being the 'silent' illness erosion of enamel takes place over a period of time without your knowledge. This can be exacerbated if your oral regimen is slack at this same time. Acid forming plaque is implicated as the cause of caries (cavities) and gingivitus and periodental problems. Shortly before my symptoms became apparent I needed root canal treatment. I think this was the first oral hint that reflux was taking place but I was unaware of it. By the time my symptoms appeared like excess mucous / PND, globus, bitter taste and BB my oral balance had been severely damaged. The reflux damaged my tonsil tissue opening up crypts. The LPR induced mucous/ PND then collected in these crypts with dead oral tissue and food particles. When BB bacteria are then added you end up with tonsil stones which are a major problem for many in terms of taste, breath and general health. My ENT consultant and ENT surgeon both felt that my infected tonsils were LPR related and that my tonsilectomy may not alleviate them. If your LPR has become entrenched you should be experiencing mucous and especially a globus sensation. If you have not experienced these you may have caught it in time to deal with the reflux via PPI treatment.

Best Wishes

Old 05-26-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
    suki1724
    (female)

suki1724 HB User

I am also recently diagnosed with LPR. My teeth have been bad for YEARS and my dentist would always wonder why I had so much decay - now it makes sense.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
    SushiK
    (female)

SushiK HB User

Ginger65,
    Thanks for your post. Yes, I have had those disgusting tonsil stones. Ick! I have the mucous that you can't clear out of your throat too. This is horrible! I can't believe all the other problems caused by LPR. I think the worst is the dental problems I'm experiencing. I can't seem to find a dentist that is familiar with LPR either, so I imagine he just thinks I have poor oral hygiene. When you say a bitter taste, does it sometimes taste like blood or metallic? My ENT is considering a tonsillectomy for me if the prednisone does not reduce the size of my tonsils. I'm wondering if it's worth it now. Glad to know others can relate to what is happening to me.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
    LostMind
    (female)

LostMind HB User

No one ever said my decay was from my GERD but it answers why I have such lousy teeth. I have good oral hygiene and still have crappy teeth. My cavities got worse as my GERD did.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
    blondy2061h
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blondy2061h HB User

My main symptom is vomiting and before I got on PPIs I gave myself 14 cavities in one year from all the vomiting.

Old 05-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User

I too have teeth problems. I've had the lump in my throat for 1-1/2 years and have recently been diagnosed with lpr. I'm on nexium 40 2x day and zantac 150 at bedtime. I've had gum surgery twice and have to have dental cleanings every 3 mos. My oral hygiene is excellent, my cleanings only take about 15 min. But my teeth are cracking away. The dentist couldn't understand why until last week when I told him I was being treated for reflux. He said it all makes sense now............ But that darn lump is still there, but its only been 3 weeks of double dose ppi's

Patti

Old 05-28-2005, 05:15 AM   #8
    ginger65
    (male)

ginger65 HB User

SushiK,

Certainly can relate to what you are experiencing. The issue with the dental erosion is that even if the amount of reflux is reduced by the PPI's you may still reflux small amounts of acid if your LES is loose. This could still cause dental erosion especially if periodental pockets are established. That is what I feel happens with me. Regular refluxing of low level acid may not damage the esophaegus but can continue to irritate the pharynx, larynx and nasal cavity. I am going to adopt a two pronged attack both in respect of the reflux and the correction of the dental damage but I know I need to sort out the LPR first.

If your tonsils are infected and tonsil stones are definitely a sign of infection you should really consider having them removed. Everyone's experience of tonsilectomies is different but I found it a fairly straightforward if temporarily inconveniencing procedure. Their removal may reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth and you may feel the difference. Either way you will be better off without the stones. Keep in mind though that they could be a by-product of the LPR and that that is what you need to deal with.

LPR gives me a bitter acidic taste in the mouth and dries it out. My nasal passage stings and gets blocked regularly which I feel this causes the Post Nasal Drip / Mucous. The taste and breath from the tonsil stones is fetid. All the time the acid is changing the delicate neutral / slightly alkaline PH oral balance and feeds on the protein enriched mucous caused by the LPR. These bacteria are anaerobic and thrive in an oxygen free acidic enviroment. Candida albicans also thrives in this environment.

You never mentioned your LPR symptoms in particular the lump in throat sensation and throat clearing. I would be interested to find out what your symptoms are ? As well as the dental erosion have you had any breath problems as a result of the LPR ?

Last edited by ginger65; 05-28-2005 at 05:17 AM.

Old 05-31-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
    SushiK
    (female)

SushiK HB User

Ginger65,
    As far as my symptoms go, I definitely have the nasal blockage & post nasal drip which causes me to feel like there's a lump of mucous trapped in my throat. Sometimes the lump feels as if someone is choking me - like there's a lot of pressure on my larynx. Difficulty in swallowing & pain with swallowing. I also have some pressure in my right ear & I'm not sure if that's from LPR, tonsils or teeth (I had a root canal on a lower right molar). As I said before I get this metallic/bloody taste in my mouth too. I do not have any breath problems, unless my husband is lying to me. I am constantly brushing my teeth, flossing and rinsing with mouthwash due to the increase in dental erosion. I don't think it's helping much. Now the newest symptom is tonsil stones & enlarged tonsils - which also makes swallowing painful. I finished my prednisone & no change - so I'm going to make another appt. w/ the ENT & see what he says. I'm thinking he may suggest a tonsillectomy. I gotta say I'm a bit nervous about that because I'm 33 yrs. old & they say it's more difficult the older you get.
    The one thing about this LPR is that I didn't even know I had it. I first contacted the ENT because I was having difficulty & pain with swallowing. I was thinking esophageal cancer or something. I never had any heartburn & didn't notice any refluxing. I do think the Nexium is helping, but it's all this other stuff (dental erosion/tonsil stones) that's keeping me from feeling better.
    How long have you been dealing with this? Any progress in your situation or have you found any home remedies that help you?
    Best of luck,
    SushiK

Last edited by SushiK; 06-01-2005 at 06:20 AM.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:01 PM   #10
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User

sushik,
    I really feel for you. I too have all your symptoms, the choking feeling, pain on swallowing, lump in the throat. And I don't have my tonsils, they were taken out 30 years ago. I can't imagine how it would feel with all these symptoms and have enlarged tonsils on top of it all....... Having your tonsils out is pretty painful, I was 19 and refused to talk for 3 days. But it does get better each day. Hopefully it would help you with all this nasty lpr stuff. I've never had heartburn but have all these throat and neck issues. I had convinced myself it was throat cancer. I had a really hard time convincing different doctors that something was wrong. I finally found an ent that scoped me and diagnosed me.

Patti

Old 06-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #11
    SushiK
    (female)

SushiK HB User

Patti23,
    That's interesting that you had to convince doctors there was something wrong, because I had to do the same. I went to several doctors & had numerous tests done trying to figure out what was going on. I saw an ENT that refused to look down my throat & ordered an MRI of my neck instead. I finally found an ENT that I trust. He scoped me within minutes of sitting in his office on my first visit. He is young & seems to be current on new techniques & information. My GP actually told me I was having anxiety attacks & prescribed clozapine...she is no longer my GP. Anyway, are you having any success in your treatment?

Old 06-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #12
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User

SushiK,
    How are things? 1-1/2 years ago this all started and I went to my gp because of this lump in my throat and I was having panic attacks over it. He said it was all menopausal and gave me something to help me sleep. Went to my gyno who said it could be thyroid and gave me something to calm my anxiety. Went to an ent who thought it was thyroid, but my thyroid is enlarged but not huge.... and bloodwork is normal. Dismissed it to I don't know. Went to my new gp (other one retired) who sent me to an endo because he was convinced it was thyroid. So a year and a half goes by and I know something is wrong. So I went to an ent that a pharmacist I work with reccommended. She said yes my thyroid is enlarged but not causing the lump in my throat. She scoped me too within five minutes of the visit and said my larynx was red and swollen, and all points to lpr. She perscribed nexium 40 once a day with zantac at bedtime and told me to followup in 6 mos. Went to my gp for a bp check and filled him in. He said if its lpr then I need nexium 2x a day and increased my rx. I go back in 3 wks for a followup and he said he doesn't feel nexium is the best drug for me and we'll discuss it then. I still have this god-awful lump and the feeling of a swollen neck, at times its uncomfortable to look over my shoulder. Never had any heartburn. But the reflux must have been going on for years and I had never heard of lpr. I had a constant cough for years but attributed it to my bp medicine. Sorry so long, but just wanted to let you know this has not been an easy or short trip.

Patti

Old 06-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #13
    DebraL

DebraL HB User

You guys sound a lot like me. I, too , had never heard of LPR but have probably had it at least off and on for years. I had my tonsils out as an adult which now makes me wonder if LPR was part of THAT. It explains so much- morning cough, mucous but clear sinuses-the feeling of something in my throat being the worst! Right now it feels swollen at the 'back of my nose-top of my throat". I started to have anxiety, too, after nothing was diagnosed. I never had heartburn either, until some recently

So do you still take the zantac at bedtime as well as the Nexium twice day?

Old 06-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #14
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User

I do take the zantac at bedtime, nexium 1st thing in the morning and another before dinner each night. At least now I don't wake up with a sore throat every morning. I don't know why, but my gp told me nexium is not the best or strongest pill out there regardless what the tv ads say. My husband has severe gerd for years and has had endo scopes for years. He calls prevacid his wonder drug.. Anyone else????? Its been 3 weeks with my meds and I don't feel any better. this lump in the throat and sore neck is the worst. Anyone, any ideas???????

thanks
    patti

Old 06-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #15
    ginger65
    (male)

ginger65 HB User

SushiK,
    I have been experiencing LPR symptoms since last June when I noticed the globus, mucous clearing, acidic taste and BB. It is interesting to see so many mention having coughing fits as part of this condition as I remember having them for about a year just prior to these other symptoms. I do not have them now. My ENT surgeon and consultant were convinced that the reflux had created the infected tonsils over a period of time. I remember coughing up stones as lots of people do but it looks like this was the early days of the reflux. Last year I went on 3 months double dose PPI (standard in UK) without any success. I have not taken any antacid since the turn of the year.
    I recently underwent an Endoscopy which indicated reflux activity though no significant damage to the esophaegus. I was not surprised by this. They also found a sliding hiatus hernia which I was also not surprised about since they are often present in LPR / Gerd cases. I believe the hernia hinders an already poorly functioning LES (Lower Esophaegal Stricture) which is the muscle valve which opens to let in food and closes to prevent reflux. There was evidence of H.Pylori which would explain the peptic ulcer I had for years. This is now healed which suggests that my stomach is not overly producing acid (remember no heartburn) and could explain the limitation of the PPI's. It seems to me that very low level but frequent reflux is the cause of the problem and the poor functioning LES is the main culprit. No meds can change this fact. I have a double probe 24 hr probe in two weeks and a manometry test for the functioning of the esophaegus. I hope this will indicate that corrective fundo surgery is the way forward both for the LES and the Hernia. For many meds along with dietary and lifestyle changes are enough to get the reflux under control but if the LES is not working their effects are limited. I have been testing my saliva PH for many weeks now and I always 6.0 - 6.25. Saliva PH should be really neutral or slightly alkaline. I am prone to Candida following anti biotioc use as it thrives in my acidic oral environment.

Best Wishes

Closed Thread