It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• GERD without heartburn

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2005, 02:10 AM   #1
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User
    GERD without heartburn

Dear all

I am new of this board. I am 28 years old male, basically healthy.

Last one week I had some symptoms of GERD, such as sour taste, morning nausea, and feeling of something stucks in my throat. But I don't have heartburn.

Basically , I have sensitive stomach, if I eat hot or spicy food, or I am late to eat my meal I will get gastritis. However, last two years I have been repairing my diet and trying to eat regularly, the symptom of gastritis never appear again.

Also, I have inflammation in my gum (gingivitis) and easily bleeding. I just finished tartar cleaning two months ago but the inflammation come again very fast. First I thought I had bleeding disorder even Leukemia but I have 4 CBC's last two months which my platelets were always normal (above 220). Now I am become suspicious to GERD because I read that in some people GERD could cause gingivitis.

Could I have GERD without heartburn? Could my gingivitis have relation with GERD? or the symptoms are reflecting another disease?

I will meet my GI next week if the symptoms persist but any suggestion and experience will be useful for me.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by ryu1977; 06-05-2005 at 05:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
    Ali04
    (female)

Ali04 HB User
    Re: GERD without heartburn

i have gerd with no burning also.
    mine feels like a heart attack with severe pains in my chest. hurts more to lay down, and i wake up with a sore throat.
    scary part about gerd is that it sometimes happens without a trigger. (mine does not come about because of food, i eat bland)

hope all tests come back well. if they give you good stomach pills, you will be ok.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
    blondy2061h
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blondy2061h HB User

I have gerd and only vomit as my main symptom.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

Thank you Blondy and Ali, I will let you know if there is any progress from symptom.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:35 AM   #5
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

I had met GI today, unfortunately he did not diagnose me with GERD since I didn't have heartburn. He said I should meet the dentist to treat my gingivitis. He said my symptoms could come from my mouth condition, such as candidiasis ,i nfection or abscess.

Well, to be honest, I was dissapointed because I could not find the answer of my quick recurrent gingivitis.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:59 AM   #6
    DebraL

DebraL HB User

LPR is gerd that refluxes into the throat. Most people with LPR dont have heartburn. ENT diagnosed me with a nasal scope. Symptoms are coughing, mucous, a feeling of something in the throat. Good threads on this board if you search.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:23 AM   #7
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

I will wait around one week. If the symptom persist after I met my dentist I will try to find another GI. Thank you very much Debra.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #8
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

RYU--try a web search for "laryngopharyngeal reflux" or LPR. Many web sites will come up with lots of information. A GI may not be the best doc to treat this, rather consider an ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor. Most people with LPR do not have any "traditional" symptoms of GERD, like heartburn. I was diagnosed with LPR by an ENT last October, it takes a long time for treatment to relieve symptoms, but finally I think I am getting better. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

Thank you Lisman, I will let you and the other know about this.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
    LostMind
    (female)

LostMind HB User

I have GERD and at the beginning I had NO heartburn at all. My GI still called it GERD.
    No I get occasional heartburn. Mostly my stomach hurts alot. The Aciphex I currently take helps with that and the heartburn.
    The ENT I saw said the same thing. I get the lump in the throat too.My dentist said the acid is the taste and can cause tooth decay.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:58 AM   #11
    ginger65
    (male)

ginger65 HB User

Ryu1977,

Enamel erosion, caries and periodental problems are not uncommon with LPR. The silent reflux causes the damage without your knowledge and if at this time your dental regimen is less than good the damage can be quickened and heightened. It takes continual exposure to low level acid to cause this damage and it happens before the other major symptoms of LPR show themselves : lump in throat, excess mucous, throat clearing. From other threads a persistant cough also seems to be an early warning that LPR is occuring but this goes away in many. I am experiencing the same situation as you.

Hope helps

Old 06-08-2005, 03:38 PM   #12
    patti23
    (female)

patti23 HB User

ryu,
    I was diagnosed with lpr in march. I have suffered almost 2 years before I found an ent that scoped me and made the diagnose. I have had surgery on my gums twice in the past. Now I have teeth cracking for no reason. My new dentist said its being caused by my reflux, now that he knows I have it. I have never had heartburn. Just a lot of mucous in the back of my throat, the feeling of a swollen neck, and the never ending lump in my throat. My lump feeling was so bad, I could barely choke down food. Have been on 2x a day nexium. Wishing you luck!!!!!!!!!

Patti

Closed Thread