It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Non-typical Symptoms Of Gerd - Help Pls.!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
    mymeka
    (female)

mymeka HB User
    Non-typical Symptoms Of Gerd - Help Pls.!

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help in suggestions. My Mother was diagnosed as having Reflux and a Hiatal Hernia years ago, although displaying non-typical symptoms. She was scoped, and currently sees a Gastroenterologist. The scope also diagnosed that her sphincter muscle is wide open. Could this be causing the pain she lives with daily? Is there surgery for this?

She doesn't get heartburn. She does get: daily lightheadedness, sugar feels as if it is dropping daily, heaviness in her chest occasionally, full feeling in her stomach occasionally, heart palpitations occasionally, and nausiness occasionally.

She has had every test done to mankind, in addition to several trips to the Emergency Room - EKG's, heart monitor, multiple blood tests, cat scan of her head (because of the lightheadedness). Thankfully, everything has come back negative.

In addition, her diet consists literally of water, broiled plain chicken, plain tilapia, plain baked potato and a mild vegetable (carrots, spinach, green beans, asparagus). She eats very lightly and is thin.

She's been on all the meds - Nexium made her dizzy, she did really well with Protonix for several years, but it rendered itself ineffective after those years, and she has been on Aciphex now for several months. It isn't cutting it. She feels terrible again. Back to the gastroenteroligst next Friday.

Any information anyone could offer, would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks!

Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
    becca1987
    (female)

becca1987 HB User
    Re: Non-typical Symptoms Of Gerd - Help Pls.!

MyMeka,

I just did this terribly long post and my computer crashed!

I am having the exact SAME problems. I have constant dizziness, nausua (to the point of making my self throw up) heaviness in chest, full feeling usually in the upper part of my stomach, heart palpitations (MORE THAN PALPITATIONS ARE THE FLUTTERS THAT I GET IN MY CHEST/HEART/THROAT area).

I am at the end of my rope with all of this. I have every test to man regarding my heart about 2 years ago and eveything was fine except PVC'S & PAC's.

I had a barium swallow and that was it. I am going to the gastro next Tuesday and hopefully they will scope me. I am very concerned with the damage that I have done to my throat with all the throwing up. But I can no relief. I also take Nexium and for the most part I think that it has helped, but my other concern is that both my parents had more than half of there stomach removed due to ulcers.

I am interested to see if anyone else has the "FLUTTERY FEELING IN THE THROAT AREA?

Please let me know if I can help Mymeka...

Becca

Old 06-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Mymeka-
    There is surgery for a weak LES, the most common is called a Nissen Fundoplication. I am sure the GI you are visiting with your mom will know about it. You can do a web search on "Nissen Fundoplication" to find out more about it and if it may be applicable to your situation. Also there is a great threat on this GERD board called "had the Nissen Fundo 2 days ago" by Blasterboy. He gives an account of his surgery and recovery. It's a ways down the board, about 3-4 pages over, so you may need to search a bit for it. If her LES is wide open, surgery may be an option. Best of luck with the GI doc! Hope they can find some answers to her problems and that she is feeling better soon!

Old 06-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
    kayla000
    (female)

kayla000 HB User

HI

You are not alone!
    I suffer from that fullness in my stomach. When it is really full (after eating a large sandwich) and I move my position (bend over), my heart does a "THUMP" and starts to beat wildly for about a half a minute. VERY SCARY. When my stomach isn't very full, I do get that funny fluttery sensation in the throat. It almost feels like a flutter or a mild weird spasm. That usually scares me too. I am getting used to it and ignore it. I notice that when I am in stressful situation it happens. Just started on aciphex. Hopefully it will work. In addition to this I have Right sided pain under my ribs that I have been dealing with for 3-4 years now. Increase in saliva production. Constantly swallowing and drinking water to decrease it.

Closed Thread