It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Could GERD be seasonal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2005, 05:29 AM   #1
    scud
    (male)

scud HB User
    Could GERD be seasonal?

Hi, I am Manos from Greece and I would like to introduce myself and my problem... maybe someone with similar symptoms has found a better way of dealing with this.
    First time I experienced GERD was at the age of 13, I am 44 now... It hit me one night in my sleep. At the time I was suffering from another periodic health problem I got, it's called Urticaria, aka hives. I had 2-3 GERD attacks during the 6-7 months that I had urticaria daily attacks. I had no idea that what I was experiencing was called GERD at the time, I though I was developing hives "inside my throat". And then both were gone, until the age of 19.
    Hives returned (same time, around spring) and lasted for 6-7 months again. No GERD problems this time.
    In my late 30's I developed a stomach ulcer, very common thing for my family. It recurred every spring. I had a couple of gastrorraghes until I decided to try homeopathy. Ulcer was cured in a couple of years, never ha bothered me ever since. But GERD... that is another story!
    Attacks became more often, always in the spring-early summer. The rest of the year was like I had never suffered from anything.
    In the spring of 2002, hives returned and GERD came also stronger than ever. Usually, it would keep me up for most of the night, but now it could last all next day as well. Combined with the hives it was very depressing. One morning I was submitted to the hospital since I was throwing up lots of saliva (lots of it produced during my GERD crisis) along with some blood. The gastroscope (is that word correct, when they shove a tube down your stomach?) showed that my hernia was not permanently damaged but it went back to normal for some reason, most of the time. Like it was retractable (strange, right???). I tried homeopathy once more and symptoms disappeared for the next 2 years. This spring all came back. It's been almost a month that both hives and GERD appeared and I decided to stick to homeopathy. My homeo doctor says that I should be patient... I have noticed that soon after some homeo pills I feel excellent for a couple of days but this is not permanent... yet. I also eat half a spoonful of mastiche powder every day, that helps a lot as well, thanks grandma!! (did you know that mastiche eliminates Helicobacter pylori?) Also a night cup of lemongrass (Lippia triphylla) helps as well.
    My GERD symptoms are:
    • Pain in the chest, like when you swallow a piece of bread without chewing it first. It builds up until it bursts into a painful hickup.
    • Lots of saliva. When lots of it is swallen, I get sick and throw up lots of it.
    • Impossible to burp, although I think it would comfort me a lot. Beer seemed to help in some ocassions. Also cold stuff like ice cream, or chewing an icecube.

Last edited by scud; 06-18-2005 at 05:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread