It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Help! Burning! No Sleep!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User
    Unhappy Help! Burning! No Sleep!

I am desperate. I cannot see a Dr. again until next week. I have been put back on Pantoloc a PPI (40mg). I take it at supper.(The Dr. said this was best since I am bothered so much in the night). I have been on it for over a week now. No help!

I NEED feedback from someone who has been there. One pharmacist said to take Zantec OTC (75mg) and another said to take Gaviscon OTC. I tried the Gaviscon and it does not help. Has anyone used Zantec while taking a PPI? When did you take it? Did you get relief?

NIGHTS....I have hot burning coming up my throat and into my mouth. It is hard to breathe(shortness of breath,sort of a suffocating feeling). Bad on my side and IMPOSSIBLE on my back. I have been using extra pillows. HELP...Biya

Last edited by Biyak123; 07-01-2005 at 11:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
    djmycool
    (male)

djmycool HB User
    Re: Help! Burning! No Sleep!

yes i have had this pain way too often ,im having this pain right now as i type to you.i use all the different acid blockers and had many tests done.the best thing to do is drink lots of water,mylanta can help a little bit.the only pain releiver you can take is tylenol,asprin can make it worse.i used to use tylenol pm and stack a ton of pillows like u said

Old 07-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

djmycool- Do you have real pain or a burning sensation? What tests have you had? The pharmacists felt I should not use Zantec and Pantoloc so I am trying the Gaviscon again today. Thanks for the reply. Biya

Old 07-01-2005, 10:36 PM   #4
    djmycool
    (male)

djmycool HB User

ive had a endoscopy and a 48 hour acid test,they put a computer chip in my throat and i wore a pager that gave the results ,both came back acid reflux.
    i take prevacid 30mg twice a day.i only eat bananas and crackers and water when i get an attack,it helps

Old 07-01-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
    djmycool
    (male)

djmycool HB User

oh and my chest burns and feels like im having a heart attack

Old 07-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
    mjcm123
    (female)

mjcm123 HB User

I don't know what Pantaloc is, but with the ppi's sold in the States (Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix) you can add a zantac to it. For nighttime reflux they often say add the H2 blocker right before you go to bed. Also, sleep inclined. Getting a wedge pillow is much more effective than stacking pillows. Google proppillow and you should find a good site. Or, stack some blocks under one end of the bed. The idea is to elevate the chest and head area 6-8 inches.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:35 AM   #7
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

Thank you so much for the replys. I will have to try the Zantec because the Gaviscon is doing nothing. Couldn't sleep last night very much.It seems hard to breathe. Have you had any breathing problems? Day? Night?
    Biya

Old 07-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

I checked on the pillow. There is one called The Prop Up Pillow. It is kind of pricy but if it works it would be worth it.The one I was looking at is FDA approved.

I am in Canada and the company is in Florida that makes the pillow. Anyone know of a Canadian co? If not I can order to the USA. Thanks....Biya

Old 07-02-2005, 12:06 PM   #9
    mjcm123
    (female)

mjcm123 HB User

Prop up pillow is the one I use. Yes, it is quite pricey but I have found it to be very helpful. My husband's friend however could not get used to it so has hidden it in a closet. I guess it is like anything else in life, how important is it to you? It took me a few weeks to get used to sleeping with it and finding the right configuration with the pillows but I won't sleep without it anymore. Sorry, I don't know of a Canadian company, perhaps if you tried another search engine including Canada with wedge pillow you might find something. When I was at my worst I was having terrible breathing problems which is what finally led me to the doctor. I didn't even know what heartburn was. I felt like I was having a chronic heart attack for three days running - only figured I wasn't because I would have been dead. Did go through all the heart tests and they did find I have Mitral Valve Prolapse but with the double dose of Nexium the heart attack feeling is gone. I still have occassional burning in the chest and am still struggling with throat issues. This is definitely a very frustrating problem that I'm struggling to manage ... unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any 'cure' at the moment.

Old 07-02-2005, 06:12 PM   #10
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

I was to a Medi Clinic and the Dr. gave me a weeks sample of Nexium to replace the Pantoloc. I have raised the head of my bed till I can get a pillow prop. I will see how tonight goes.
    Biya

Old 07-02-2005, 07:40 PM   #11
    mjcm123
    (female)

mjcm123 HB User

Hi Biya. You might also want to ask the doctor for Carafate in the suspension form in addition to the Nexium. It coats the esophogus and the stomach and helps in the healing. The only tricky part is figuring out the timing because Carafate lines the stomach so it should be taken on an empty stomach but not within two hours of the Nexium. However, if you are taking an H2 blocker with the ppi the Carafate will hopefully not be necessary. The Nexium might take a week or two to kick in. Hope you feel better soon. Jen

Old 07-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #12
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

Jen....What is an H2 blocker? Since I have been on the PPI Pantoloc do you think it will still take a week for the Nexium to kick in? When do you take your Nexium? AM or PM?.I was told to take my Pantoloc at supper since my nights are so bad. Once it is in your system should it matter when it is taken????

Biya

Old 07-03-2005, 05:02 AM   #13
    mjcm123
    (female)

mjcm123 HB User

Hi Biya. An H2 blocker is something like Zantac or Pepcid. Different things work for different people so you might have to play around with it. If the nights are the worst perhaps try taking the Nexium right before dinner and then the H2 right before bed. I take 2 Nexium per day: one when I get up in the morning and one right before dinner but currently my bad times are during the day. If you have been on a ppi I don't THINK the Nexium should take long to start working. These are just techniques I've either figured out through trial and error or through reading other websites. I hope it helps. Of course you always want to clear things with your doctor. Hope things get better for you soon!

Old 07-03-2005, 09:21 AM   #14
    Biyak123
    (female)

Biyak123 HB User

Jen...When you say you take one in the morning and one before dinner you will be referring to your evening meal? Yes?

Biya

Old 07-03-2005, 11:15 AM   #15
    mjcm123
    (female)

mjcm123 HB User

Hi Biya. Yes, I take one after I wake in the morning on an empty stomach and try to eat something within 20 - 30 minutes. Then I take one right before my evening meal. It says it should be taken on an empty stomach but I sometimes have trouble with snacking in the late afternoon. The directions also say to wait an hour before eating but after doing much reading many seem to feel that is too long to wait. Hope this helps. Jen

Closed Thread