It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Nighttime GERD, silent daytime GERD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
    tizimare

tizimare HB User
    Question Nighttime GERD, silent daytime GERD

I was recently diagnosed with GERD and had an endoscopy to rule out any esophagus damage. No ulcers but my esophagus was, however, restricted so the Gastro doc stretched it out. I have an appointment with him in two weeks to go over the 'formal' results but meantime I'm trying to handle this horrible acid reflux by means of over the counter medications. I've tried three H2 blockers so far (Zantac & Pepcid AC, and Pepcid Complete) and still wake up during the night with acid backing up into my throat. In the morning, the pain in my esophagus is so bad, it feels as though I've swallowed thumb tacks. Today, I purchased a PPI (Prilosec) which I read was a good thing to take if one has experienced the esophagus stricture. Okay, my question is......... can I take the Prilosec in the morning before breakfast and, if needed, the Pepcid Complete at night before dinner? Or let me ask it this way........ can both a PPI and an H2 blocker be used or is that 'overkill'?

I'm just having a heck of a time sleeping at night and also dealing with the pains in my esophagus through the day. Thanks for any help!

~Mare

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
    shnswms
    Inactive
    (male)

shnswms HB User
    Re: Nighttime GERD, silent daytime GERD

I don't see why not. Priolsec OTC is a great medicine and should stop the acid production and provide relief. Although it might take a few days to work. I often use both in conjunction. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
    tizimare

tizimare HB User
    Smile Re: Nighttime GERD, silent daytime GERD

Thanks for your response I started the Prilosec yesterday and already feeling better today (no feeling of thumb tacks in my throat). With the Prilosec, I'm getting a bit hyper/nervous feeling which is throwing me into a panic attack mode. But this only lasts for about two hours after taking the pill. I can deal with that as long as the acid reflux is gone.

Closed Thread