It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Gerd/Nexium and acid reflux questions...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
    Dan_the_man
    Inactive
    (male)

Dan_the_man HB User
    Gerd/Nexium and acid reflux questions...

Ive been on Nexium for about 3 years. Tried getting off it a few times, never succesfully though, hearburn always comes back. Ive heard other people with the same problems. Lately I have been having a full stomach feeling sometimes and a lump stuck in the throat feeling and naseous feeling. My tounge has a yellowish color that comes back after I brush it clean and a slight tickle cough.
    Does anyone know if Nexium stops working and what are the other symptoms are that I described about? or if you have the same? Sometimes when I bend over or just standing up I can feel that feeling of acid or stuff trying to come up and some burping. I would think that nexium would help it. I don't really have heartburn, but indegestion nausea and a bloated feeling along with the throat feeling, sometimes the throat feels swollen, rough, not sore though.
    Anyway any input or help would be appreciated....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User
    Re: Gerd/Nexium and acid reflux questions...

The lump in the throat feeling could be LPR or laryngopharyngeal reflux. Usually an ENT deals with this type of reflux. I was diagnosed with it last year and took nexium for several months. I guess I just got lucky as I am better now and no longer need the nexuim. However, my ENT did say that sometimes you need to change the meds to another PPI like Prevacid as your body gets used to one PPI and it is not as effective anymore. You may want to check with an ENT for the throat problems, or if you are already seeing a GI he could probably help you. It may only require a phone call to the doc to try a different PPI. Best of luck!

Old 09-07-2005, 05:10 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

A friend of mine has a pouchlike outcropping in the middle of his esophagus...God, what was that called???...that trapped food on the way down and caused coughing as a glob of food stuck midwway down, almost every meal. It was elusive but was finally spotted on a barium scope (even the endoscopy missed it.)

Ah-HAH, remembered it: it was called ZENKER'S DIVERTICULA. He took a couple years of Prilosec and now it only rarely catches food.

Dan,
    First order of business: get a simple H.pylorii test. If this infection is at the root of the problem, then several weeks of a triple or quadruple antibiotic cocktail will cure it forever. It should be suspected with any problem of the gastric plumbing. It's commonly the cause.

If you haven't already done so, you should have an upper GI series of X-rays or an endoscopic examination to rule out any irregularities...but get the H.pylorii bloodtest first.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-07-2005 at 05:13 AM.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
    Dan_the_man
    Inactive
    (male)

Dan_the_man HB User
    Re: Switching PPI's questions

Thank you for the couple of replys folks. Question what if I want to switch from Nexium to another PPI is there a preferance that anyone can suggest and what is the best way to go from one to the other? you know making the switch...?

Old 09-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
    Dan_the_man
    Inactive
    (male)

Dan_the_man HB User
    Re: Tight feeling in throat question

Have one other question for anyone out there. Along with my other problems I have this tight feeling in the throat alot, dont know what that is all about, not sure if its that lump in the throat thing or something else, anyone have that problem ever? thanks.....

Old 09-09-2005, 06:06 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Dan,

Get that esophageal exam...endoscope.

One PPI is as good as another.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
    kitty.11
    (female)

kitty.11 HB User

Dan

Your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine. Reflux, nausea, tongue coated yellowish/white. When I bend over I feel that something is coming up.
    I've been taking Nexium for 6 months - initially it seemed to help the symptoms but lately it's come back really badly.

In the last couple of weeks my throat started to feel tight. At first I thought it was anxiety, as I'm a bit of a worrier but now this has developed into a feeling of something being stuck (I'm a girl but right about where the Adams Apple is). My mouth and throat are now burning and really raw and scratchy. I've also got a tickly cough.

I was just wondering if you had ever had any tests i.e. barrium or endoscopy to actually confirm your reflux - I think my doctor is going to refer me for one of these when I go back - (something else to look forward to).

Also, someone else mentioned laryngopharyngeal reflux - sorry if this is a silly question but what is the different between this and acid reflux or is it the same thing.

Sorry to go on a bit but it's really good to know I'm not the only one out there dealing with these things - best of luck with getting your symptoms under control again.
    Take care

Old 09-19-2005, 06:56 AM   #8
    ginger65
    (male)

ginger65 HB User

Hi Kitty11,

LPR differs from GERD in that there is often no heartburn present as the reflux is of higher PH than would damage the esophaegus and moves so fast through it to cause any damage in any event. LPR damages the voice box and throat and is cited as being a probable cause of sinusitis. From previous posts from other sufferers the common symptoms of LPR are : globus sensation (something stuck in throat), constant throat clearing, excess mucous, nasal congestion, burning throat, cryptic tonsils, yellow/whitish tongue coating, bitter acidic taste and breath, dental erosion. The globus sensation is thought to be inflammed vocal cords irritated by the acid, the mucous is thought to be post nasal drip from nasal congestion/ sinusitis. The tongue coating maybe linked to this post nasal drip.

Dan the Man

It sounds like a change of PPI would not make much difference. 3 years on Nexium is more than enough. I think your problem maybe a structural one in that the problem is not limiting your acid production but correcting a loose Lower Esophaegal Sphincter which is allowing the reflux to happen. The probable cause of this maybe a Hiatus Hernia.

Hope helps

Old 09-27-2005, 11:20 AM   #9
    kitty.11
    (female)

kitty.11 HB User

ginger65

Just wanted to say thank you for the information - and how much it's helped me.

I kept telling my doctor that it didn't feel like heartburn in my chest but only these horrible throat symptoms. He just kept saying 'it's reflux'. If he had explained it as clearly as you, I would've believed him.

Anyway, am still on Nexium but am going for a barium thingy in a few weeks.

Thank you again
    Kitty.11

Old 09-28-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
    midwestmom
    (female)

midwestmom HB User

Dan, I have that same throat feeling you are talking about. I was at the doctor today and she's going to refer me to a GI doctor since I've been on Nexium and it's not working. I'm interested to see anyone else's responses...

Closed Thread