It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Organic apple cider vingear for GERD..

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
NatashaW
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User
Organic apple cider vingear for GERD..

Hey all
I just started takin 1 tsp of organic apple cider vinger 2x a day and my GERD has improved so much! I don't even take nexium anymore!

It might be worth a shot for you too

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
Dianam
(female)

Dianam HB User
Re: Organic apple cider vingear for GERD..

Thanks for sharing that info with us ..funnily enough I stumbled upon a website the other day stating that apples (provided you get the right variety for you)..were excellent for combatting acid reflux..pleased your feeling so much better..Ive actually bought a tree full of apples to try ..lol..but when they are through I may try the oraganic apple cider vinegar.
stay well and happy
Dianam x

Old 09-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Casey2
(female)

Casey2 HB User

Hi,
I was thinking of trying the apple cider vinegar. I also saw a website where you could ******** a report to learn a cure for GERD using common household items. They mentioned one thing was apples so maybe there is something to the apple cider vinegar. I didn't want to pay the $30 for the report though.
Has anyone else had any success with apple cider vinegar or apples? It sure would be great to get off PPI's. Thanks for the information.

Casey2

Old 09-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
rugrats4
(female)

rugrats4 HB User

I have never tried this, as many times as I say i'm going to get the ACV I keep forgetting, however I believe in the Alternative Medicine Board there is a discussion with respect to the use of Apple Cider Vinegar.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
NatashaW
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

I found the apple cider vinegar for $3.99 in the health food section of the grocery store. I believe you can also add it to salad dressings if you don't want to just drink it. The bottle says it also helps detoxify kidneys and help arthritis. It is pretty tart but a little sip does the trick. Still have a little reflux but not like I did before. I was nexium 2x a day and and antiacid and it wasn't working. I was told that people get reflux because there actually isn't ENOUGH acid in your stomache.

Old 09-24-2005, 06:59 PM   #6
mymeka
(female)

mymeka HB User

I've just begun reading about Apple Cider Vinaigrette, but this confuses me. I was just diagnosed several weeks ago, after an endoscopy, of a small hiatal hernia, reflux and gastritis.

Judging by the information they gave me, and my Mom who also has reflux, vinegar is a no-no, because it is acidic!?

Lori

Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
Little Amy
Veteran
(female)

Little Amy HB User

mymeka:
I tried the vinegar and have the same thing you have - DON'T do it! Unless you like being in burning pain for about 6 or more hours! I actually was so desperate that I tried it twice, on different occasions. Stick to a soft, bland, frequent meals diet for a while, no liquids with meals, you can have water and hour before - and two hours afterward, and if you can find some DGL Licorice tablets at a health food store - have them before each meal, plus take a digestive enzyme with your meals. I've done that for a couple of weeks now, and it is helping a lot. No, I'm not completely healed, but NONE of the PPI's or acid reducers were helping - they actually made me worse, but at least I'm heading toward feeling normal again. I've also had acupuncture done for this and it helps enormously! Hang in there.
Amy

Old 09-27-2005, 05:47 AM   #8
mymeka
(female)

mymeka HB User

I am confused! My Dr. told me to stay away from anything acidic, which vinegar is - so how would it help? Just curious! Would love to try it, but wouldn't want it to set off my uncomfortable symptoms!

Lori

Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #9
Little Amy
Veteran
(female)

Little Amy HB User

mymeka:
The theory behind taking the vinegar is that as we age, and in some people - that they produce too little stomach acid to properly digest their food. So, the food sits in the gut and rots which causes more acid to be produced trying to digest it, plus the rotting food throws off acidic gasses that produce the same feelings as reflux. I believe that this is entirely plausible, except....if you have gastritis, which is very inflamed tissue - that must be healed first and putting vinegar in your stomach is just like throwing gas on a fire. Get your stomach tissue healed first, then you can try the vinegar. Or, if you are curious - give it a try - but I can only tell you my experience - lots more burning and pain! There is a difference between indigestion and gastritis.
Amy

Old 09-28-2005, 08:00 AM   #10
mymeka
(female)

mymeka HB User

Amy,

I learn more on this board than from my Doctor! He never even explained what Gastritis was. Will my Gastritis go away? I've been on Nexium one month.

I also wonder what long-term affects these PPI's have on us?

Lori

Old 09-28-2005, 11:38 AM   #11
Little Amy
Veteran
(female)

Little Amy HB User

Lori:
Gastritis is the inflamation of the lining of your stomach and can take as long as six months to heal. It will heal if what's irritating it isn't constantly re-introduced to the stomach, such as coffee, alcohol, excess bile acids, etc. I don't know the long term affects of PPI's. My dad has been taking Prilosec for as long as they've been making it - at least six years and my mom took it for probably 4 years and finally was able to get off of it about 6 months ago. They are supposed to be only temporary drugs to allow your body to heal, but some people have to have long term treatment with them, espcially those on other meds that irritate the stomach. I would say if the Nexium is helping you, then don't worry about it. Nexium is usually prescribed for 4 to 8 weeks, but may call for longer treatment if you aren't feeling better. Honestly, I don't believe the medical profession has a clue what the long-term effects are with these drugs, they just haven't been out for that long. But if you think about it - everything we put on or in our bodies has a side-effect, such as too much sugar will make you fat and cause diabetes. Too much sun will give you wrinkles and skin cancer - so I think for a short term treatment you will be fine.
Amy

Old 09-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #12
Dee77
(female)

Dee77 HB User

little amy, how do you heal the inflamed stomach though

Old 09-29-2005, 08:19 AM   #13
Little Amy
Veteran
(female)

Little Amy HB User

Dee:
The doctors give you PPI's or acid reducers to make less acid in your stomach so that the stomach will heal itself (supposedly) but it doesn't always work, and in my case I can't tolerate PPI's at all. I had been taking Pepcid AC, but even that has caused me problems, so I've started having a chewable DGL Licorice tablet before every meal and taking digestive enzymes with all my meals and it is helping a lot. Both of these products can be purchased on the web or in a health food store. You want to avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, citrus, and limit red meat (the usual anti-reflux-ulcer diet stuff). Have small, frequent, bland meals, and have things like steamed vegetables, and get some fiber in there. It's a slow healing process, but it's definitely better than being in pain and burning all the time. I was to the point I could barely stand water.

The benefit of the DGL Licorice is that it helps build up the mucousal lining of the digestive tract. That is what is inflamed in your stomach with gastritis. These chewable tablets taste like black licorice, which I hate - but I don't care - it is helping me. I know the bland diet is awful, but you will see an improvement if you stick to the small portions. Hang in there.
Amy

Old 09-29-2005, 08:51 AM   #14
lizbeth622
(female)

lizbeth622 HB User
Wink Re: Organic apple cider vingear for GERD..

Hi

I recently started searching the web for a more natural remedy, I've been diagnosed with LPR, I started feeling this lump in my throat and i would swallow and it seemed to be stuck there at the bottom of my throat. at times it seemed better, but then after i ate it would get worst and when i would exercise i felt so short of breath.. i was really starting to worry so i went to an ENT.(Ear,Nose and Throat) he ran some test and tole me about LPR , Gave me Prevacid and sd to see him in a month. Prevacid works fine but when i eat the wrong foods its like i didnt take it at all. So i found in this site that Apple Cider Vinegar help and in some cases cures Acid Reflux. so I ran to GNC where i found the ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR WITH MOTHER. And I Stared taking it. and its unbelivable the results. no more Prevacid for me. this works WONDERS!! LOOK UP ALL THE BENEFITS OF THIS VINEGAR!
Its simply AMAZING!!! (I took just 1 tablespoon with 3 tablespoon of water and walla! acid reflus was GONE!!) Try it , you got nothing to loose since this is natural stuff!

Old 09-29-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
Gaylord67
(male)

Gaylord67 HB User

I heard that too on TV that your tummy sends food up due to not enough acid. I think apples help me sometimes. I do however think you have to have a particular type of Apple. Its natural cures.

Closed Thread