It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid Reflux for Dummies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
    Alex8
    Inactive

Alex8 HB User
    Acid Reflux for Dummies

Just diagnosed with LPR last week (after 5 months of being treated for "respiratory problems) and I have all the dumb beginner questions. There are still things I don't quite understand and the ENT didn't seem too intent for my trivial pursuit. So here are some random questions. Answer one or answer them all, take a shot. All theories appreciated.

My stomach has bubbling noises every night when I go to sleep. Have always thought they were just benign stomach going-ons. Or is it ACID ready to kill my esophagus and throat!?

Chest pains suck. They really do impinge on the quality of life issue. The referred pain to the rest of the body really wears me down. Do they go away? Who's had chest pains continously?

Acid reflux, ultimately a loose sphincter muscle issue? Or too much acid? Or a combination of both? How can you have acid reflux if your sphincter stays shut, even if you have loads of acid?

Anxiety? Connection? Can it be the cause? Or does it just serve as an enhancement of symptoms?

I'm 32. If the problems remain, but they are not life-threatening, should I push for surgery? Will surgeons operate if they think you're doing fine on meds? I'm not sure I want to live 40, 50 more years on nexium and a restricted diet (I usually eat very well, but I miss spices, etc. I used to eat tomatoes every day and it kills to not have them now). I don't want to sleep on a slant for the rest of my life, etc.

Why is it some have bad breath with acid reflux and some don't? I do, unfortunately.

Why did ENT diagnose me with LPR without doing a scope? She did a scope the first time around and didn't mention anything about reflux. She diagnose me with a sinus problem instead. Now she says my symptoms are very LPR-ish.

How did you take it for you to suspect acid reflux? I'm fairly dense...had occassional chest pains with sore left arm episodes for years and thought I had poor circulation, or slept on my arm, didn't stretch out properly before exercise, etc. Duh.

How long for acid reflux to do damage to the esophagus, throat, and loose sphincter muscle?

How long on a PPI before you go back and tell the doc it's not working? How about if you feel worse, how long do you tough it out? My ent told me not to come back for 3 months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
    Misterbee
    (male)

Misterbee HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux for Dummies

Hi
    First of all dont panic,it makes it worse! im 37 and had similair probs as you for about a year but it does get better.
    First off,the usual things apply,Dont eat or drink 3-4 hours b4 bedtime,eat smaller meals but more often so your not stuffing yourself at certain times of the day,snacking is actually good! Avoid fizzy drinks chocolate and alcahol (sorry).
    Im not sure if you have seen your doctor but i would recommend it.
    oh and your stomach doesnt make too much acid,its just that as you said the sphincter muscle relaxes when it shouldnt.This is not always permanent as some would have u believe,im living proof of that,im almost completely recovered now.I dont know why it started and why it stopped.
    If your getting pain then You will prob need to take some kind of medication for a while,maybe omeprazole or similiar that stop acid production completely.
    i also found gaviscon helpfull and soothing,especially at night.
    Take care.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:33 AM   #3
    spazz20032004
    Inactive
    (female)

spazz20032004 HB User

i felt the same way you did about having to give up the food's that everyone is eating i two loved pasta pizza and spice's but you do what you have to do to feel better my diet consist of bland food and water ask your doctor about having a ph probe done this will tell how much acid you have coming up in my case by the time i had this test done i was on 80 mg a day of protonix and the acid was going right through it so now im on 160 mg a day you need to make them sit there and answer your question's if you don't i find that most won't tell you anything you don't ask about i had to figure everything out on my own what to eat and not how to take the meds i got this when i was 33 and now im 37 i was going to a teaching hospital for almost four year's finally got fed up when the last out of maybe 100 doctor's walked in there and said give me 2 years turn's out that they all they wanted to do was expirment on me i switched to another doctor who is sending me for surgery the other's were telling me my med's had to work before anything could be done they left me suffer for 4 years cause they just wanted to do the implant i have been told by 2 doctor's now that i am a perfect candidate for surgrey when they were telling me i wasn't and kept recomending the implant if they offer you this read the pamphlet very carefully i just wonder how many people are suffering because the want a few humane lab rat's

Old 10-26-2005, 06:00 AM   #4
    mymeka
    (female)

mymeka HB User

I'm a 'newbie', too, so I feel your frustration and questions. I have some of the same questions, believe me.

I had an endoscopic procedure that showed a small hiatal hernia, reflux and gastritis. Dr. didn't say a thing about sphincter muscle, but now I wonder. I also have small gallstones.

I am on Nexium, once a day, for the past 2 months. It has helped, but I eat very bland food and stay far away from all the No-No's : ( I also drink lots of water, and can handle Ginger Ale (no caffeine), and I let the carbonation out by letting it sit out for awhile or pouring it back and forth in a glass.

Hang in there, it will get better. And, yes, I do think anxiety makes the reflux worse.

Lori

Old 10-26-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
    I_love_lucy
    (female)

I_love_lucy HB User

This is all new to me too. My doc says I have acid refluc too...no chest pain, but lots of belching...acid up into my throat and burning...tight sensation n my throat at times.

I too eat a very, very bland diet...I have IBS too, so this helps out at both ends!!! My stomach gurgles too..mainly at night when my tummy is empty...I swear my husband can hear it, it is so loud.

I don't eat fatty, spicy, fast or fried foods...no chocolate (uhmmm!! halloween candy) , alcohol and don't smoke. I already take 2 meds for high BP, don't want any other meds in my body...I have anxiety too...makes everything in my life worse..panic is a terrible thing.

So, I decided to try ACV (apple cider vinegar) instead...it tastes bad...I take 1 TBL w/honey in a glass of water before each meal..drink a glass behind that to rinse my teeth...it works for me...much less belching...no acid up into the throat at all..stomach feel pretty calm...I did have a sour, queasy stomach throughout the day and it would wake me up at night...I still get that on occasion, but much, much better.

I think mine is from anxiety, Toprol-xl (beta-blocker) and with having lower back problems I took Naproxen (alleve) for one month and then Ibuprofen for another month and was also taking an aspirin a day...I stopped all the anti-inflammatory meds and starting taking a ACV just about 2 1/2 weeks ago...have felt much better.

My doc said come back in 2 months if not gone or much better...I don't know how long it takes to damage the esophagus or throat.

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 10-26-2005 at 06:42 AM.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
    Alex8
    Inactive

Alex8 HB User

How about throat pain? I've started Nexium and the first couple of days was amazed that I woke up with relatively little pain. The last couple of days though, the throat has been very painful at night,after dinner. I know that eating irritates the raw area, but I do not get the same pain after eating earlier in the day. Does this mean it's the acid? Why can't I 'feel' the acid coming up? I have LPR by the way...

Tried ACV, seemed okay, but two nights had the worst chest pains (actually called the doc to make sure I wasn't suffering something serious) after drinking ACV before dinner.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
    spazz20032004
    Inactive
    (female)

spazz20032004 HB User

the acid is what is giving you the sore throat i have never tried acv never had the gut's to try it i don't go near anything with vinager i had the acid coming up so bad at one point it was giving me sore's in my mouth and the heat from it would make my nose run i hope i have helped you somewhat and i really hope you feel better i feel so bad for anyone with this

Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
    Miss L
    (female)

Miss L HB User

was the sores in your mouth around the tonsil tissue were its actuall looks burned red and blistered?

Miss L

Old 10-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #9
    spazz20032004
    Inactive
    (female)

spazz20032004 HB User

yes they did look like blister's i can't tell you anything about the tonsil's because i had mine removed when i was 14

Old 11-28-2005, 02:20 AM   #10
    midwestmom
    (female)

midwestmom HB User

"pouring it back and forth in a glass."

Lori- just a fyi - you can stir soda with a spoon to make it flat. that's what i do when i have sick kids and i give them warm sprite and stir it to make it flat.

Closed Thread