It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Anyone have this combination of symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
    travel767
    (male)

travel767 HB User
    Anyone have this combination of symptoms?

I'm wondering if anyone else has this combination of symptoms with their GERD?

Sometimes, about an hour or two after eating all of these will happen at about the same time. Chest tightness in the center of my chest or left side, heart beats faster, shortness of breath, burping, sweaty hands and feet, and tightness in my left shoulder, inside of my left elbow, and left thumb. Occasionally, I'll also have tightness around the base of my neck. This lasts for another hour or two before going away.

The doctors have tested my heart and nothing is wrong there. I've been on Nexium for two months and the frequency of this has definitely decreased, but it does happen more often when I don't watch my diet - ie. alcohol.

A bit more history. Has anyone else has such difficulty in getting diagnosed? I've had occassional heartburn for 10 years that usually happens with alcohol that I controlled with over the counter ant-acids. Two years ago I started getting chest pain that would come and go randomly and move around my chest. The pain became more frequent and numerous hospital visits including EKG's and chest x-ray's showed nothing. I noticed running was sometimes a trigger for the chest pain, but like the doctor said there was nothing wrong with my heart. I learned later that running can cause stomach acid to go up into the esophagus and cause chest pain.

About 5 months ago I went back to the hospital with the chest pain and was diagnosed with asthma and given an inhaler. Then the symptoms I listed above would happen more and more frequently, sometimes everyday. Two months ago I started having difficultly swallowing, and would feel full after only a few bites of food. I went back to the hospital and was diagnosed with GERD. A barium x-ray was negative. The doctor wants to do an endoscopy, but I've put that off due to financial reasons.

Like I said, the Nexium has been a great help but hasn't completely stopped all my symptoms. I no longer can taste the heartburn or have difficulty swallowing, but the symptoms in the first paragraph do still happen a couple times a week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #2
    jom257
    (female)

jom257 HB User
    Re: Anyone have this combination of symptoms?

Are you on any medications like Actonel or Fosomax?

Old 10-30-2005, 03:16 AM   #3
    travel767
    (male)

travel767 HB User

Nope, not on any medication besides the Nexium and Ventolin. I'm a 29 year old male, normal weight, non-smoker, and excercise frequently.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
    chrobo56
    (female)

chrobo56 HB User
    Post Re: Anyone have this combination of symptoms?

Hi. I have often had similar symptoms and have been diagnosed with GERD, a stomach polyp and a hiatal hernia. Today I added esophagal erosion to the list. I know that an endoscopy seems expensive but if you put it off for financial reasons, the result is that you could end up with even more expensive disorders. If I were you I would go ahead and have the test done and see if you can make financial arrangements with the doctor/hospital. Just knowing for sure what is going on is probably more than worth the financial burden.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 AM   #5
    mymeka
    (female)

mymeka HB User

Yep, I had all those symptoms, and worse - would get completely naseus and sweaty, bad stomach cramps, tightening of my breastbone, etc. I've been diagnosed w/a small hiatal hernia, reflux and gastritis (2 mos. ago) and am on Nexium. It has helped significantly BUT I watch a very careful diet of little to no fats and stay away from all the no-no's.

Best of luck to you,

Lori

Old 11-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
    convncer
    (male)

convncer HB User

Have your gallbladder checked out

Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #7
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

aswaer HB Useraswaer HB User

The acid is probably the cause of the asthma. The asthma will probably go away if you treat the acid. Asthma onset is usually an indication that the acid is escaping the lower esophageous and going all the way up to your larynx. It gets there, then goes down your windpipe into your lungs. When acid goes this high, it's called LPR, Laryngeal Pharyngeal Reflux. To treat it, you still need anti-acid medication, specifically a PPI like Nexium. But you have to take 2 doses a day, not 1 dose.

I was being misdiagnoses with asthma, and as soon as I changed from 1 Nexium a day to 2 Nexium, the asthma-like symptoms went away. Here's the link to the article that my diagnosing ENT gave to me about LPR:
    [url]http://www.jaapa.com/issues/j20050801/articles/lpr0805.htm[/url]

Old 12-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
    mymeka
    (female)

mymeka HB User

And I would change your diet dramatically, as I did, that includes no alcohol.

: (

Lori

Closed Thread