It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• LPR not GERD, Lump in throat. please respond

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
    umanac
    (male)

umanac HB User
    LPR not GERD, Lump in throat. please respond

I was diagnosed with LPR by an ENT in May and have been taking Nexium 2X a day, reglan 4X a day, and one pepcid before bed. I originally only had a chronic cough but that is now practically completely gone. What i have now is a lump in my throat that i get quite often. Does anyone else with LPR only experience a lump in the throat? I'm worried that because i experience this that eventually i am going to get some type of cancer... Is this just a symptom that i will always have because i have LPR, or is this something that i need to seek more treatment for? I had a checkup with the ENT in August and he said that my symptoms would continue to improve, but i would need to take medication for the rest of my life... Anyone that has been through something similar and has any advice, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User
    Re: LPR not GERD, Lump in throat. please respond

I was diagnosed with LPR in October of 2004 by an ENT, who used a scope to find reddness and irritation iof my larynx and pharynx. I spent 10 months on 2x a day of first Prevacid, and then Nexium. I did not have, and have never had other symptoms of GERD. My symptoms were major lump in the throat, excess muscuous in my throat, cough and all the typical symptoms of LPR. I do not have heartburn, and have never had heartburn. I don't know if the meds were really doing anything for me as I did not find significant relief with them. Nor did avoiding acidic foods, sleeping with my bed propped up, and all the other recommended GERD lifestyle changes have any beneficial effect on my condition. I did the all the suggested methods of reducing the stomach acids from refluxing up into my throat for many months.

To make a long story short, I had such hassels with getting the insurance company to pay for my pills, pre-approval etc. and by July of this past summer I had just HAD IT with the medical treatment I was getting. Since the PPI's weren't doing much anyway, I stopped taking them at the end of July and started on a program of treating the whole digestive system rather than isolating the problem to just reducing the stomach acid. I eat much, much more fruits and veggies, lots of whole grains and bran to keep the digestion moving. I have a fruit smoothie for breakfast everyday with a "greens supplement" from the health food store in it. I take digestive enzymes regularly, along with echineccea and garlic supplements to help my immune system to stay in top condition. (take the echineccea for only 4-5 days at the beginning of each month as it loses it effectiveness if taken constantly). I also take a probiotic each evening before bed to replace the "good bacteria" in my system that aids in digestion. I also make sure to get some exercise daily, some days more than others, but make sure to get at least 20 minutes a day.

At first I did not see much change in how I felt. But now, after several months, I feel so very much better with this regime than I did with the PPI's. And it's much less costly, except that a diet of healthy foods costs more. I am NOT a "health food freak" and am not in any way suggesting that others give up the medications prescribed by thier medical professionals. I just know I feel so much better. I want to pass my success on to others who also may benefit from my experiences. A good diet and positive health habits cannot possibly harm anyone and can complement the medical treatment one is getting from thier doctor. I can eat whatever I want, I even have a cup of coffee occasionally with a product called "Coffee Tamer" in it to reduce acids just in case. I enjoy Mexican foods, and Italian foods frequently with no further symptoms of LPR.

Maybe I just got lucky and the LPR went away on it's own, and would have done so regardless of what I did. Maybe I was misdiagnosed and a program of better health practices allowed my body to "heal" itself from whatever it was that I did have. Maybe this is just the calm before the storm and it's going to come back with a vengence someday. I really don't know. I just know that treating my body as a whole entity, rather than isolating the problem to just reducing stomach acid, has worked wonders for me. Best of luck to you too, in whatever methods you choose to relieve your symptoms!

Old 12-10-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
    TJN
    Inactive
    (female)

TJN HB User

The lump in the throat can be a GERD symptom, LPR symptom , or symptom of a motility problem. If you haven't gone to a GI , you DEFINEATELY should. Curiously a lot of people don't develop the lump until starting PPIS. I had the lump for a year, it is gone now and i am not on PPIS... haven't been in 2 years .... And i am perfectly fine An ENT telling you that you will need a lifetime of PPIS is kind of radical , i would certainly get another ENT opinion as well.

There is much scepticism regarding an ENT LPR diagnosis

Many GIS do not beleive in LPR alone without GERD and think LPR is being overly diagnosed by ENTS . For one thing, there is disagreement as to whether you can diagnose by ENT examination because studies show that many normal people with no synptoms have the same physical characteristics ( red throat etc ) upon ENT examination. ( perhaps from enviremental factors, allergies, aging, smoking, etc) as those with LPR/ GERD.

Also there are not atequate studies done to accurately diagnose LPR on a ph test . We know you need more than 50 reflux episodes in a 24 hour period to be diagnosed with GERD , but there is controversy as to how many throat episodes you need in that upper probe to have LPR .

Two major studies recently published in the European Journal of Gastroenterology show that people diagnosed with LPR alone heal just as well on placebo pills than on PPIS . This leaves a lot of unanswered questions .

Old 12-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
    Red Maple
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Though there is much debate about who is best to treat LPR, GI vs. ENT. Many people who have seen a GI about LPR are referred by that same GI to an ENT. Also there is much written in medical journals etc. by ENTs who are experts in the treatment of LPR. Many of these articles can be found on the web with a little searching and are a wealth of information. The best doc for you is the one you are most comfortable with.

Last edited by Red Maple; 12-11-2005 at 07:02 PM.

Closed Thread