It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Aciphex & LPR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
    Andra31
    (female)

Andra31 HB User
    Aciphex & LPR

Is anyone having sucess with aciphex? I have recently been taking Nexium but my insurance will not cover it so I am going to give aciphex a try. Is anyone else taking it twice a day and does it help? I know the nexium is 40mg per pill and the aciphex is only 20mg per pill. I am wondering if this is going to be as strong as the nexium is. I tried the protonix but it made me very nauseous. So now my options are aciphex or the prilosec. I have also not tried the prevacid. Any input or personal experiences would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
    avglenn
    (male)

avglenn HB User
    Re: Aciphex & LPR

I have had Gerd for many years, and aciphex has worked really well for me. I take one 20mg pill a night. Good Luck !

Old 01-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
    zoot_suit_brian

zoot_suit_brian HB User

So your insurance pays for aciphex but not nexium? that is insanity.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
    Andra31
    (female)

Andra31 HB User

Yes, I know. I love insurance : ) Which one are you using and are you using the 2 a day? Do you know if you can take 2 aciphex a day?
    Thanks,
    Andra

Old 01-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
    steve389
    (male)

steve389 HB User
    I too, would like an answer to this question as I tried to get a twice a day prescription to aciphex and the Dr. said no because once a day was enough. I have had progressively worse throat constriction for over three years with no diagnosis. I have had a CT scan - all normal and a scope of my esophagus and stomach which the Dr. said no LPR. He only said I had some sluggish swallowing. My nose also feels like the airway is constricted as well as my throat, though constricted, is not really sore. I have some clearing of the throat, some burping, and I wouldn't really describe my throat as sore. I feel no acid in my throat.MY QUESTION IS, WOULD A CT SCAN SHOW IF THE CONSTRICTION WAS CAUSED BY MY THYROID? ALSO, COULD I HAVE LPR EVEN THOUGH THE SCOPE SHOWED NOTHING? I asked the doctor if it could be eosinophilic esophagitis and he said, "No, because there was no swelling of the throat seen when I had the scope done." My question is, would a CT scan show if the constriction was caused by my thyroid? Also, could I have LPR even though the scope showed nothing? And, No, I am not an anxious person. This constriction has been night and day from the time it started. I thought maybe a food allergy also and fasted for a long time with no results.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
    Andra31
    (female)

Andra31 HB User

Steve389,
    I am not sure about some of your questions as this is new to me also. My things started to happen at the end of October. Who did you scope a GI doc or a ENT? If you had the endoscopy done by a GI doc you can go to the ENT doctor and they will check you nasal passages and your throat and be able to tell you if you have LPR. I did not like my GI doc and he did not know why my throat was burning but did say to go and see a ENT who did his tests and told me I had LPR though he was not very knowlegable about that either. I hope this helps. Sorry I don't know about your other questions. I myself am still trying to figure out how to make my throat stop burning!
    Andra

Old 01-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
    steve389
    (male)

steve389 HB User

The scope was done by a GI but I did have one of those little lighted tubes put down my throat by an ENT a couple of years ago and he didn't say anything about LPR. Does this mean I don't have it? The other thing: my throat does not burn. It just feels constricted.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #8
    Andra31
    (female)

Andra31 HB User

I would get checked again just to make sure. Also there are some doctors that do not know what LPR is. As for you not having your throat burn I don't think everyone who has LPR has the same symptoms again I am still very new to this and am trying to figure it out myself but from reading alot of the newer and older posts on here there are alot of different symptoms and not everyone has them all. If you do have LPR and your medicine is not working at 40 mg there are alot of people that take the 40 mg ppi's twice a day. You should talk to your doctor to see if you are able to do this if the one is not working. I hope this helps and we all get better soon!
    Godbless,
    Andra

Old 01-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User

Hi Steve and Andrea,

My problems also started recently, in July. Out of the blue, I woke up one night in the middle of the night with a choking sensation. I had NEVER had any problems before that night. I never get heartburn, just my throat symptoms: tight throat; shortness of breath; need to clear throat constantly; pulling at collars of shirts; burning throat; sore throat; feeling of a golf ball stuck in my throat, etc.! Sometimes I have GI problems with all this: constipation, bloating, gnawing hunger pains, which again I NEVER had before.

I had an endo and they found inflammation and prescribed Aciphex. Again, everyone is different, but Aciphex gave me stomach pain, so I was switched to Zegerid, which worked well for 2 months, then seemed to lose effectiveness. So now I'm on Prevacid, 1x per day, and it works really well for me. In addition I am on some supplements that have really helped: digestive enzymes, probiotics, immune boosters. With this combo and lifestyle changes (elevated head of bed; careful diet; smaller meals; no food after about 7 PM; relaxation-stress can be a trigger for all this, so I've made a conscious attempt to reduce stress) my symptoms are doing a lot better. Granted, I still can't go out and eat Mexican food, but I am functioning again fairly normally.

Steve, I also thought it was a food allergy at first, actually had extensive allergy testing. They also checked my heart, abdominal ultrasound, gastric emptying test, etc. I also have a borderline thyroid, so have wondered about that, but the most recent test was normal-have you asked for thyroid testing?

Hope this helps, Skylar

Old 01-21-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
    Andra31
    (female)

Andra31 HB User

skylar,
    Hello, thank you for your response I was wondering how many mg previcid are you on? I have not tried that one and you only take it once a day? Did that help to stop your burning throat?? Also what are immune boosters, probiotics and digestive enzymes?
    Thanks,
    Andra

Old 01-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User

Hi Andrea,

I'm taking 1 30mg Prevacid per day. I have heard that LPR sufferers need 2 per day-that could very well help more, but I am a bit of a baby about medication and hate taking meds-always prefer the lowest dose possible. Actually, this week I tried to stop taking the Prevacid to see what would happen since my husband and I would like to have a baby and my gyno says PPIs aren't allowed during pregnancy. My little "experiment" with stopping the Prevacid failed miserably! So, I'm back to burning throat again and began taking it this morning.

I think the supplements really make a difference for me-I started taking them around mid-November and was able to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner!! I've felt better ever since. The brand I use is *********: Ambrotose, Immunostart, GIZyme and GI Pro. I will warn you-they are really expensive and you have to order them from the internet. A friend of the family introduced me to them. However, if you went to the health food store you could look for something similar.

Another thought-I have had some stomach problems on and off since all this started. Before July I had NEVER had acid or stomach issues. One doc told me he suspects I had a virus that kickstarted all of this-if that's the case, he said it will heal in time (6 months-2 years). So, I'm trying to stay positive and hold on to that hope! Either way, God has a plan and we just have to trust. Skylar

Old 01-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #12
    Andra31
    (female)

Andra31 HB User

Skylar,
    If I can find those things I will give them a try. I am like you also and do not like to take alot of meds. Have you bumped up your ppi's to twice a day. As for as pregnancy you could be one of the people that gets very sick and vomits, which I would think would help with the LPR because you are getting everything out of your stomach. Also I felt the healthiest during my pregnancys and you may also. You are right God has a plan for all of us. Don't let LPR get in the way of you getting pregnant. Children are a blessing and you don't want to miss out on that. I have faith you will be fine. Let me know how it goes.
    Andra

Old 01-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #13
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User

Andra,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I was not happy that my experiement with quitting PPIs went so poorly, but I still have faith that all this will work out for the best. One thing I can say for sure: I've learned a lot through this experience that is changing me into a better person! It has really helped me refocus.

As far as your question about PPI dosage: I am currently on 1 Prevacid per day trying to decide whether I should take 2. I really don't want to take even more, but if it will heal, then I should. Unfortunately I have not found a good doctor-my gastro has never heard of LPR! And he's supposed to be the best in town. So, I'll see an internist for the first time next week and hope for direction.

Another thing-not sure how true it is: I read (on the internet..) that if your symtoms are right after eating that you likely have too little acid. If they're hours later, you likely have too much. They say to try the apple cider vinager test to see. I haven't tried that (sounds horrible!!), do you know anything about it? Skylar

Old 01-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
    charitina
    (female)

charitina HB User

Just wanted to tell you, Andra, that I have really been encouraged reading your posts. I suspect I have LPR, though it is a self diagnosis just by reading healthboards. I have gone through one whole pregnancy with this condition without changing the situation too much. At the time I was attributing it to allergies or ? and Yes, I was miserable but no more so than I was before or after the pregnancy. I wouldn't trade that little toddler for all the health in the world! Children are definitely a blessing. _____, please don't take fertility for granted. I have seen so many do just that - and then not be able to have children.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #15
    charitina
    (female)

charitina HB User

I wanted to say also, Andra, that I believe that the probiotics have greatly helped my stomach. I used to have bloating and had constipation for years. The kind I am taking are also super expensive but definitely worth it. The principle behind it is that through use of antibiotics over a time and other factors, we kill a lot of the good flora in our digestive system and the probiotics adds them back. There is more to this. I wish I could refer you to the specific author of this book I learned all this from but probably I am not allowed to. Also, if you do decide to buy probiotics, don't purchase any that are not refrigerated because they are no good after a few days if left out - with the exception of one kind and all I can say is it is a black pill. I too also take enzymes. None of this, so far, has helped with my throat, though. I did buy some raw apple cider vinegar but have been afraid to use it. I read about it on this site for GERD but don't know if it will help or hurt with LPR.

Closed Thread