It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Clarification of what to eat.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
    viblakah
    (female)

viblakah HB User
    Question Clarification of what to eat.....

I've been on Aciphex for 9 days now. Has still not made much of a difference. I know from reading everything in here that this (LPR) is not going to clear up over night. My diet has been consisting of chicken breasts, baked potatoes (no skin), egg beaters, & toast. I've been into so many websites about diets for GERD that i have done nothing but confuse myself. I've lost 15 lbs now (that i am happy about, but not happy about the way i am losing them) I need to start adding more into my diet and i guess this is where my questions start.....
    1. When you are eating yogurt what type of yogurt are you eating? (plain, no-fat, lo-fat, flavored, etc.?)
    2. What type of salad dressing does a person eat? (seems as if they are all creamy, vinegar or tomato based, which are all supposed to be on the NO list) and I'm dying for a salad.
    3. Dairy products, yes or no and what exact kinds?
    4. Can a person eat baked beans such as Bush's original?
    5. What are the best snack foods?
    6. Can you eat raw carrots? or what vegies are allowed?
    7. Water creates a major confusion. Do you drink it while you are eating or not? (I feel as if everything gets stuck in my throat if I don't)
    8. Are there any types of seasoning that you can use to flavor up all the bland foods?
    9. Are smoked pork chops a yes or no?
    10. Mac and cheese - the micorwave type, yes or no?
    11. What is the best type of soup to eat?

I think thats about it for now. This forum has helped me greatly, especially to realize that I am not crazy. I go for my Barium Swallow on the 23rd and can't wait to see what they find. I appreciate all and everyone's comments on this. Thanks!!!!

p.s. I do not get heartburn and its so hard to figure out what is going to trigger reflux or not. I usually find out by my throat feeling like its going to close up on me and that the glob stuck in there gets bigger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User
    Re: Clarification of what to eat.....

First let me say that everyone is different, so what worked for me may not work for you and vice versa. Here is my experience with food:

1. Dairy-I have really reduced the amount of dairy in my diet. I still eat cheese, etc. in moderation. As far as yogurt-I eat a cup a day of plain with live cultures.

2. Water-I think it's better not to drink during meals. But drinking a lot of water between meals helped me with throat symptoms. Also try herbal tea-particularly chamomille. It's not coffee by a long shot, but I got very tired of plain water.

3. Salad dressings: I stick to the creamy-Ranch, honey mustard. Have had no problems there.

4. Veggies: I ate a lot of carrots-but at first when I really had the globus, I drank carrot juice to get the nutrients. I also eat a lot of spinach-in salads for the vitamins. Avoid onion, peppers, tomatoes, raw garlic. Squash, zucchini, potato, corn, peas, green beans, sweet potato have been my staples.

5. Fruits: avoid citrus. I've been fine with banana, apple, avacado.

6. Nuts have been a good source of nutrients-almonds, pecans, walnuts.

7. Seasonings: salt, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary. Avoid pepper, anything spicy. No BBQ sauce or tomato based.

8. Baked beans-I've had no issues with them, but make sure to get them without onions.

9. Soup: at first, eat clear soups. Noodle soup, potato soup, etc. I lived off potato soup in the beginning-the Atlanta Bread company soup in the bread bowl was somehow all I could eat.

Take it slow, try new things one at a time. You may need a few months before you can handle all the things I've listed. At first, I lived off soup, carrot juice, bananas. Now I can eat a lot more things. Another thing that helps the throat: slippery elm throat drops-available at the health food store-amazing stuff. You can also drink aloe vera juice to sooth.

Good luck, Skylar

Old 02-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
    viblakah
    (female)

viblakah HB User

Thanks so much! I will try to start adding things little by little.

Is the yogurt and the salad dressing you use lo-fat, no fat, or just regular?

Old 02-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User

I just use regular salad dressing or I make my own honey mustard (one part honey, one part mustard, some water and stir)

Again, take it REALLY slow at first until your PPIs kick in and add slowly, otherwise you won't know what your trigger foods are-they are different for everyone. Good luck, Skylar

Old 02-14-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
    viblakah
    (female)

viblakah HB User

Anyone else have any other eating tricks that they would like to share? I know what works for one may not work for the other, but when you're new to all this I am open to any suggestions that have worked for others. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
    ADGrant
    (male)

ADGrant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by viblakah
    Anyone else have any other eating tricks that they would like to share? I know what works for one may not work for the other, but when you're new to all this I am open to any suggestions that have worked for others. Thanks!
    Not abut diet but if the Aciphex is not working for you, perhaps a different dose or a different PPI might. Others on this board have suggested that a high dose of a PPI is the recommended treatment for LPR. Have you discussed with your Doctor?

Old 02-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
    viblakah
    (female)

viblakah HB User

I'm on aciphex twice a day and am starting to feel a bit better. Thats the reasons for asking the eating tips.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Hi,
    I've been on Aciphex for 3 days and I can't tell if it's working any better than over the counter Zantac. I'm not sure what to eat as it doesn't seem to make much difference, my stomach still gets upset. I'm eating light foods like steamed vegies, salad, yogurt, bread, crackers, beans and some fruits, and lots of water. I not yet have a diagnosis only that my stomach is irritated. Are any of those foods bad to eat with stomach problems?

Old 02-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
    BrendaB
    (female)

BrendaB HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by viblakah
    I agree with most of skylar's ideas on food, except salad dressing. I had a hard time finding one - honey mustard, ranch, vinegar-based all didn't work. The only one I found that worked was a fat-free poppy seed dressing - I don't recall the brand.

I can tolerate applesauce and canned peaches and pears well. Mac & cheese - boxed or frozen also works (but not for my high cholesterol). As Skylar said, herbs are fine, but not spices. I find that fresh herbs are even better tolerated than dried. Also, one that got me, remember that mustard is a spice. Try marinating your chicken breasts. This is usually better than sauces. As mentioned before, it's a lot of trial and error for each individual.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
    ADGrant
    (male)

ADGrant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taape
    Hi,
    I've been on Aciphex for 3 days and I can't tell if it's working any better than over the counter Zantac. I'm not sure what to eat as it doesn't seem to make much difference, my stomach still gets upset. I'm eating light foods like steamed vegies, salad, yogurt, bread, crackers, beans and some fruits, and lots of water. I not yet have a diagnosis only that my stomach is irritated. Are any of those foods bad to eat with stomach problems?
    You have to be careful with acidic fruits but your diet does seem suitably bland.

Last edited by ADGrant; 02-15-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
    viblakah
    (female)

viblakah HB User

Well..... I added raisin bran cereal (using vanilla ensure as milk) into my diet last week and was doing well until Friday. Can you sometimes eat something for a few days and then boom, the the next time you eat it you feel awful? Does that mean you should no longer eat that food or just give it a break?

Has anyone tried the flavored waters such as dasani or aquifina? There is a raspberry flavor that I would like to try or is just plain ole water the best?

How about endamame (soybeans in pods) ?

What should a person be doing for vitamins? Liquid, chewable? Do these trigger reflux?

At 45 years old I never thought i could feel so naive about food and nutrition. I'm on day 15 of the Aciphex (twice a day) and am starting to feel better. I have never in my life been so complient medically. No coffee, no alcohol, quit smoking, etc..... I'm quite sure I have LPR as I have all the classic symptoms. Thank you all so much for your comments.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #12
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User

I found that my multivitamin was a trigger-probably the citric acid...I'm not sure about your question as to eating foods for a few days and then suddenly having symptoms. I can say though that LPR is a very cyclical disease-you'll be OK and then suddenly have a flare up, that doesn't seem to be food related. I've been having a flare up for the first time in months and am back to potato soup...

Old 02-20-2006, 08:00 AM   #13
    mymeka
    (female)

mymeka HB User

Keep in mind that each person is different and what they can tolerate is different. Definate no-no's are: coffee, tea, caffeine, citrus, mint, red sauce, chocolate, etc.

1. When you are eating yogurt what type of yogurt are you eating? (plain, no-fat, lo-fat, flavored, etc.?) I can't tolerate yogurt, bothers my stomach.

2. What type of salad dressing does a person eat? (seems as if they are all creamy, vinegar or tomato based, which are all supposed to be on the NO list) and I'm dying for a salad. I, too, am in the mood for a salad, but the greens are roughage and can bother. I stay away from them.

3. Dairy products, yes or no and what exact kinds? I eat fat free cheese only, and skim milk.

4. Can a person eat baked beans such as Bush's original? would stay away from beans (roughage).

5. What are the best snack foods? I've had the best luck with LOW fat - angel food cake, fat free or low fat cookies, graham crackers, animal crackers.

6. Can you eat raw carrots? or what vegies are allowed? I eat raw carrots, but everything in moderation. Stay away from real roughage - broccoli, cauliflower, or eat in moderation.

7. Water creates a major confusion. Do you drink it while you are eating or not? (I feel as if everything gets stuck in my throat if I don't) I drink tons of water.

8. Are there any types of seasoning that you can use to flavor up all the bland foods? Stay away from anything spicy, but herbs are great.

9. Are smoked pork chops a yes or no? Hmmm, not sure.

10. Mac and cheese - the micorwave type, yes or no? low fat

11. What is the best type of soup to eat? I only eat low-sodium chicken broth or chicken soup.

Best of luck! It really is about trying things and seeing if YOUR system can handle the foods you try.

Lori

Closed Thread