It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Breathing, nausea, pain and worried

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2006, 04:39 AM   #1
Bilbobeth
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User
Breathing, nausea, pain and worried

Several months ago, I started to get the odd bit of heartburn. I also got odd days when I felt a bit breathless. About three months ago I started to choke on my food, feeling it wasn't going completely down but getting stuck for a while. This was a bit scary and made me change to sloppy foods. Then the nausea started along with increasing heartburn (behind breastbone). I have lost 18 lbs in weight in the last 6 weeks. I can't eat any more. Firstly I feel I can't swallow properly and secondly there is hardly a point in the day when I don't feel nauseus. I wake up with nausea and gingerly get out of bed as I feel shaky and weak also. The first thing I would like to do is vomit but I can't. I also have a very hot feeling in my tummy and feel as though it is bubbling!
The pain, nausea and this increasing breathlessness is really getting me down and I feel so weak. I am taking cartons of medically prescribed ensure plus so I get a few calories each day. I am on valium and have just been put on lansoprazole. I get very bad shaking episodes where my whole body wobbles like a jelly(is this connected?) I had a barium meal about three weeks ago and its come back ok though they still treating me for acid reflux whilst I am waiting for an endoscopy.

I am at a loss as to know what to drink. I know coffee and tea etc are out. At the moment I am so very nauseus it's hard to get anything past my lips. I do not vomit but gag a lot. All I want to do is curl up into a ball and sleep until its diagnosed and I am given appropriate treatment. Can anyone relate to this increasing breathlessness, nausea and abrupt weight loss?? I am fearing the worst methinks!
Many thanks
Bilbobeth

Last edited by Bilbobeth; 04-13-2006 at 04:42 AM. Reason: more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
MaureenA

MaureenA HB User
Re: Breathing, nausea, pain and worried

I never had the trouble swallowing/ But I have reflux/ esophageeal spasms & hiatal hernia. So I know how you feel. Try gingerale & see ifyou can drink that. Or popsicles to keep hydrated. I know before I had meds I was in bed miserable & sick for a months. Then after having tons of tests done to rule out cardiac problems I got a more specific diagnosis w/ a gastro Dr.
When I was @ my sickest I lost 15 lbs in 4 weeks!! I didnt want to eat because it made me sick.
But you have to eat to make your self stronger. I hope you feel better soon. Do you have to wait long for your endoscopy?

Old 04-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Bilbobeth
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Hi
Many thanks for that. I feel slightly less worried already. Do you mean flat ginger ale as opposed to fizzy?? I ate a little thin porridge this afternoon so thats something. Does anyone take anti emetics to stop them feeling sick. My doctor has just given me some but I am on so much I am not sure I should be taking any more. He has also given me stuff for itching! I forgot to mention intermittent itching. I read some of the other boards today and saw itching was common in menopausal women???? Has anyone had any bad reactions also to prevacid??
My endoscopy has been requested as urgent. In the Uk that probably means 2-3 weeks!
Thanks everyone.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
MaureenA

MaureenA HB User

I drink the gingerale fizzy/ Its the only soda I can drink.
I never had a bad reaction to prevasid. I used that first & it didnt help me. Then I went to Nexium & that helped more.
I had to go for an edoscopy & had a wait just like you, I ended up in the hospital . But I had esophageal spasms that created severe pain in my chest.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Bilbobeth
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Hi Maureen

That sounds just like what I have just experienced in the last hour. Out of the blue, the pains got very severe and have now spread to my collar bones, accross my whole rib cage and both lung areas. I have taken a diazepam to relax me as it frightens me when it gets this bad along with finding it hard to breathe. I have climbed back into bed and hoping I can fall asleep for an hour soon. I find coming onto the internet a good distraction though. many thanks for all your input, I appreciate it.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
iwonder
(female)

iwonder HB User

Just out of curiousity have you ever had your blood glucose levels checked. The rest sounds like GERD's/acid reflux, but when you mentioned the shaking episodes especially if they are happening after you have not ate anything in awhile or if it is happening after you have eaten something high in sugar/simple carbs...it sounds just like when I have a hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) episode. Just a thought... hope you get to the bottom of this soon!

Old 04-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
MaureenA

MaureenA HB User

I hope you feel better soon. It is not easy. I am on Imdur for the spasms/chest pains. It has improved my life so much. I had chest pains & it ended up being esophageal spasms. Its very painful & feels like heart pain.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #8
Bilbobeth
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Hi
I have just recently had regular blood tests so I assume glucose would have been looked for there but not sure. I read somewhere that when acid leaks into your lungs it can make you shake. Don't know where I read this or how true it is??? I have been saying for ages though that I feel bad when i eat. Like immediately after I eat i get dizzy, short of breath etc.
Last night I made the mistake of treating myself to a mug of coffee. Within half an hour my symptoms were much much worse. Won't be doing that again in a hurry. I aim to try a bit of white fish today if the nausea holds off a bit. I am a bit bothered by the upcoming endoscopy. I am allergic to some local anaesthetic and I beleive they use this in the throat for this procedure. I am also unlucky that I have suffered from panic attacks for years so wehn I get short of breath it's doubly hard for me to stay calm and just accept. The old brain is conditioned to think...can't breathe, panic, heart attack!!!! Trouble is although all the medical people I have come in contact with recently know of this they don't give this any thought at all. I was having problems using valium and omeprizole and a consultant said "so come off valium"!! Not very understanding and obviously obivious to the fact it takes weeks and months to come off valium.

This morning, the nausea is here, the old lung pains are still there and I enter another day of ifs buts and maybes! Thanks for all your input folks.

Last edited by Bilbobeth; 04-13-2006 at 11:52 PM. Reason: wording

Old 04-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
Triple777
(female)

Triple777 HB User
Exclamation Re: Breathing, nausea, pain and worried

I've heard of many many instances where they do not check blood sugar in regular blood tests. Itching is a symptom of high blood sugar. You could be having severe anxiety which is causing stomach problems and the shaking. You could have an ulcer. So many symptoms cross each other it is hard to tell without getting tested for everything, but don't assume they tested you for blood sugar levels, you need to ask! A while back I heard about someone who worked for a large company who got really sick and went to the doctors and the hosptial for every test under the sun over six months to a year. No one could figure out what was wrong with him and it got so bad he had to quit working. Well, in all that time and in all the tests, they never checked his blood sugar, and when someone finally did, it was unbelievably high. It sounds crazy, but that kind of stuff goes on all the time. Find out, let us know! Good luck!

Old 04-15-2006, 12:40 AM   #10
Bilbobeth
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Thnaks for that. We have free tests I believe in some of our pharmacies. I will go and get checked out there first. I seem to have seen my GP so much recently so only want to go to him if I really have to.
I was pretty worried this morning when I got up. I felt a huge ball of something stuck in my throat on waking. When I finally managed to cough it up, it was like a lump of glue!!! Is this mormal with gerd?? Ugh!!!
Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:52 AM   #11
Triple777
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Great! It'll be good just to rule the blood sugar out. Again, I'm sure there's many reasons you could cough up a ball of goo. Could just be sinus drainage, but hard to guess. Stomach problems can give off a wide array of strange symptoms, and so can anxiety and one can feed off the other. You said that this started several months ago. Can you recall anything else changing a couple months ago, like medication, supplements, stress, etc? Check out the Anxiety board, there are a lot of similarities. Anyway, let us know when you get the blood sugar checked. I am really sorry to hear how badly you are feeling and I hope you feel better soon. :-)

Old 04-15-2006, 03:45 AM   #12
Bilbobeth
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Thanks for your reply. I have actually suffered with panic attacks for over 2 decades. I have just recently had an horrific spell of domestic disturbance and an overload of problems that resulted in my panic and anxiety increasing dramatically. I didnt sleep for three nights because of all this but have only been eating soup at best for the last three months or so. I usually take between 6 -10 mg of valium a day to handle the panics but now I am on these inhibitors I find I can't stay awake on the valium. The gastro Doc said to just come off the valium which is easier said than done. At the moment I am torn between taking the Prevacid of which I am on the lowest dose and being good for nothing all day because all I want to do is sleep, or stopping the Prevacid as panic attacks are soemthing I can do well without right now!! I dread the thought of coming off valium which has been the only thing thats allowed me to be a reasonable wife and mother for years. I have three children under 15yrs and can't afford to be asleep all day!

Last night I felt reasonable before I went to bed. I have been awake 4 hours today and still feel as grossly nauseated as when I woke up. I took my meds like a good girl but crashed out asleep for an hour shortly afterwards. Its like being being hit by an aneasethetic! I suppose I should seek advice about coming off the valium. I don't know what the lesser of the two evils are really.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
Triple777
(female)

Triple777 HB User

You sound like you're under a tremendous amount of stress. :-( You said that you were taking inhibitors, what's that for? Why would you stop taking Prevacid at this point (is it helping any)? If you've been taking the valium for 20 years, why stop right now when you've had so much stress in your life? Seems like a bad time to do it. I've been under a considerable amount of stress for the last two years. I believe my problem stemmed partially from stress, but mostly taking too much of the supplement Folic Acid. Both my parents got ill and between working and running I forgot I was taking it (my husband would put it in my weekly pill containers). I started getting horrible stomach pain and had difficulty breathing over night. I had every severe allergic symptom to it you could have which also mimick anxiety disorders and GERD. I lost 40 lbs because I couldn't eat. Anyway, it took me nearly a year to figure out that I was taking 3-4 times the recommended dose of Folic Acid. It really messed up my stomach, and caused me so much anxiety because I thought I was having a heart attack. I never had a problem prior to that with my stomach, and although I'd have anxiety attacks occasionally, they were triggered by unpleasant situations (not a daily thing). But, having all that...I've had nausea for months at a time this last year. I took Prevacid Solutab and finally got rid of the chest pain, but I still have this weird breathing thing going on. It often feels like I can't get enough air (especially when I am sitting and not doing anything). When I exert, I feel better. I have also been drinking the apple cider vinegar that someone mentioned on here.....it really helps with the acid. I took it for four days and had no reflux, and didn't take it one day and burped up acid. Have you tried the Apple Cider Vinegar? Strawberries are known to help nausea, have you tried that? My sister-in-laws friend had been having stomach problems for some time, but didn't tell anyone. It peaked when he went out to eat with his wife and he had to run to the bathroom and vomit after taking a couple bites of his dinner. Not only that, he was in considerable pain. Well, he found out he had an ulcer, which is easily treated, but he went through months of misery just hoping it would go away. Stress can cause so many bizarre things and so can stomach problems. I've had so many bizarre symptoms the last year and a half that I couldn't even list them. It's been really hard to function. I can totally relate to how you're feeling and I know it's awful. I feel better than I did a year ago, and I have gained weight back, but I hardly feel normal, but hopefully it's going that direction. You just gotta keep trying different things until you find the thing that makes you feel better.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
Bilbobeth
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Many thanks for that reply. It kinda helps when you just hear you are not alone.
I ended up in emergency department again this morning. I was shaking from head to foot , almost jerking! I could not expand my lungs and was very frightened (this feels different to panic symptoms). I was trying to change my sons bedding when i just collapsed to the floor, winded and exhausted.
There was nothing i could do to get my breath and it felt like my chest was caving in. The docs at hospital differed(I saw two). First said it coudn't be acid in my lungs because I had no wheeze. Second said you don't have to have a wheeze for it to be acid related!!!!! I was promised medication to help with the breathing but never got any. I think they forgot and I gave up!
I think I must be a big baby because I am so very weak that just walking about is exhausting. I am putting this down to losing so much weight so quickly. My legs look like sticks and my nausea is abysmal!! I am amazed at the reaction of professionals who deal with acid related problems in emergency department. They treat it with such nonchalence, almost like a headache! I am going to have to find help to look after my three kids because I have never felt so ill in my entire life and I am 46yrs. If this is my future....well!!!!?????
I am posting another thread about my appetite and nausea as its a bit specific.
thanks again,

Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #15
Triple777
(female)

Triple777 HB User

I'm sorry you felt so bad and ended up in the emergency room. That can be a real crap shoot. In the last couple years, we've had to call 911 for my parents multiple times and in their visits, some of the doctors are awesome, others are quacks (and you never know which you'll get). About the acid in the lungs, I have a Nutritional Healing book and it states that from GERD, you can get acid in your lungs and it can cause Asthma like symptoms. If I was you, I'd call back over there and tell them they forgot to give you a prescription for your medication. That type of thing has happened over and over with my parents, they tend to forget everything along with misdiagnosing. Did you feel any better once you got to the hospital? Have you had a breathing test, and a stress test? What have you been tested for?

Closed Thread