HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   DGL Vs Orange Peel Extract Vs ACV (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/387088-dgl-vs-orange-peel-extract-vs-acv.html)

wee-haggis 04-29-2006 04:06 AM

DGL Vs Orange Peel Extract Vs ACV

Just wanted to get a feel for what remedy has helped your GERD.

DGL or Orange Peel Extract or Apple Cider Vinegar.
Perhaps a combination or none at all.
(I'm still in the testing stage right now)

Shgar 05-01-2006 01:47 PM

Re: DGL Vs Orange Peel Extract Vs ACV

I have pretty bad gas, belching, that feeling like something is coming up into your throat, as well as intense pains in center of chest on both sides, and in the throat. I would normally have just taken Zantac and maalox and then gone to see the doctor, but I have done that before and the drugs work after a long time, but relief never seems to last. The last time it lasted 3 whole years, but flared up again due to overuse of otc pain meds aspirin and excedrin and tylenol.

This time I decided to research it and try something different. I never would have thought that vinegar would help stomach ailments, but it sure does!

Supposedly, it will completely fix the problem in time. I am going to try it.

I ate cereal and milk this morning and had excruciating gas pains afterward. Took the apple cider vinegar and almost instantly it was better!! You are supposed to take 2TBSP 3 times a day.

If nothing else, it is a cheaper quick fix than Zantac, Pepcid, Maalox, etc.

We will see how it goes in the long term, I am keeping an open mind.

Bilbobeth 05-01-2006 01:59 PM

Hi
Can you tell me where I am likely to find apple cider vinegar in the UK please and how best to take it?
Thanks

wee-haggis 05-01-2006 03:18 PM

I'm not sure about the Pharmacies or Chemists that would stock it in the UK,but here are a couple of online links to purchase.
[url]http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/body-soul/apple-cider-vinegar.asp[/url]
[url]http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/HINA13552.asp[/url]

Bilbobeth 05-02-2006 02:52 AM

Hi there
Thanks very much for that.

Lauragal 05-05-2006 06:25 PM

How do you take the apple-cider vinegar? I've tried it straight and diluted in water and could not bear it either way - I wound up throwing up!!!! It tastes so disgusting - is there anything to mask it with??

kali23 05-17-2006 10:46 AM

You should never take it straight because I've heard that can hurt your throat. Drink it diluted in water - just one tablespoon for a glass of water. You can hardly taste it this way. Another way is to heat up the water, add one tablespoon of ACV and one tablespoon of honey. I've been using it for about a month now, and it has already helped my GERD. It has also helped with skin blemishes. :)

lynniebellz 05-17-2006 04:48 PM

hi I was wondering if anyone has tried the ACV pills. I tried the vinigar every which way and still can't get it down. I am suffering with heartburn and the burning sensation in my throat. I have been on all kinds of meds but nothing seems to work. If anyone knows of any other alternative methods please let me know. thanks so much.

Lauragal 05-21-2006 10:25 PM

Thanks Kali!

I will try it in heated water with honey. I have tried to dilute it in water and cannot get it down. I have never liked vinegar my entired life, and just the smell of it makes me want to puke!!

Thank you for the advice about heating water and adding ACV and honey!!

Eve_8 05-22-2006 07:15 AM

I apologize if this is a silly question, but you mean actual apple cider vinegar from the grocery store right? Because I saw a mention of finding it at a pharmacy in another post above, so then I thought maybe there is some kind of herbal apple cider vinegar liquid or something. Thanks for the info. If I heat up the water and use honey maybe I can trick myself into thinking I am drinking tea, which I miss already.

lynniebellz 05-26-2006 08:26 AM

hi,
it actually has to be Organic ACV which you can get at a whole foods store or on line. It has to have the mother in it as well. still trying myself to find a way to get it down. I will try with the honey and heated also.

tm3912 05-30-2006 05:08 PM

Been trying ACV for 3-4 days now and I must say that it seems to work. You have to use the organic (mother) ACV NOT the commercial stuff that you buy in the store for normal use (supposedly it been distilled, etc and has lost all medicinal value) Take 3X a day 2 TBSP mixed in with water, juice, etc. (I use a little cranberry and grape mixed) When you drink it it may seem like you are swallowing acid (at least it does for me) and scares the *&*%^ out of you thinking it will make your stomach boil over. As of yet it has not for me.

I'll continue to use and report back every so often.

scoot 06-02-2006 10:31 AM

EVE - not regular apple cider vinegar. this has to be the [U]raw[/U] apple cider vinegar with the 'mother' in it. the mother is the good stuff that is proclaimed to be healthy for anyone to drink, gerd or not.

i have not tried the pills.

for about 3-4 weeks, i've been taking [U]RAW[/U] acv when i feel heartburn or pressure coming up. before that i was taking nexium every other day.

i find it intriguing that something acidic takes away the burning sensation in the bottom of my throat. how bizarre is that. when i feel that food is coming up, it also helps with that.

i'm not sure if acv will continue to suffice long-term, but for now its working. i really feel its too early to tell if this will replace drug therapy. the gerd may come back with a vengeance. i dont know.

and just for the record, acv tastes [U]so much better[/U] when mixed with [U]ROOM TEMPERATURE[/U] water instead of cold. i cant even drink it cold without feeling totally grossed out. in room temp water, i drink it without sugar - in fact it almost tastes sweet.

ttwarrior1 10-29-2006 01:35 PM

so noone here has used the orange peel?

backslide05 10-29-2006 06:25 PM

I guess I'm the only one.
I found some dried orange slices at trader joes and they were wonderful, taste great and helped with my digestion better than the vinegar.
However, they aren't selling them now, and don't know when they'll get the again, so now I'm on the hunt.