It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Pregnancy and PPIs, etc

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Pregnancy and PPIs, etc

I finally had a discussion with my doctor about my diagnosis. Not that I was good at asking all the questions I had - right in my hand - but 1 I really wanted to know was about pregnancy and PPIs (I'm on Nexium).

After the consultation I fleetingly stopped the doctor in the hall (he was leading his next patient back) and told him I was hoping to get pregnant soon.

Being rushed, he said I have to get off the Nexium 1st; then added to ask my ob-gyn about it.

All I've read on-line so far has been that PPIs/Nexium don't seem to have any effect relating to pregnancy. What do you all think? Am I right or is it too risky?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: Pregnancy and PPIs, etc

Does nobody like to answer my questions? *sigh*

Old 05-02-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I'm sorry but I don't know the answer although it seems like someone here would. I would call your gyn and ask about it. I did have a friend who wasn't allowed to even take a any medication while pregnant at least during the first 3 months, then later some medication on a limited basis.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

aswaer HB Useraswaer HB User

The U.S. FDA has no position on pregnancy and PPIs, other than classifying them in some kind of category that indicates a possible risk, simply because there have been no official U.S. studies. Motherisk is a Canadian organization run by the University of Toronto that has published studies on PPIs and pregnancy. I recall they found no correlation between increased risk of birth defects and PPI use, but I think they were only looking at women on 1 PPI a day. I don't recall which PPI or PPIs they used in the study. It was comforting to see that someone did a study and it came back positive for our situation.

My personal gyno in the U.S. has the opinion "try to stay off the PPIs" as much as possible in pregnancy, but especially during the 1st trimester. I told her there is no way I can be off the PPIs (and I'm on 2 a day), so we're going to do extra ultrasounds and an amnio, though I'm not 35 yet. Just being extra careful. Not pregnant yet though.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you guys.

I guess I should be careful, since I am after all "old". (Never had a baby, either.) Funny, last year I was so concerned I might have trouble conceiving, since I am "old" now. I've been so upset about 1st my painful rear end, then my irritating throat/stomach, I've practically forgotten the basic concerns about an old woman like me trying to conceive anyway (and higher risk to baby just from being older)!

Heck, maybe that's primarily what the GE doc had in mind telling me to be off them! "She's too old"!

Old 05-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
    iwonder
    (female)

iwonder HB User

I was told my midwife that she does not feel comfortable with anyone taking them during pregnancy, however, if it is an absolute must from everything she has read and looked at Prevacid was the one she would recommend. I'm not sure why, I decided to hold off and see if I can wait it out but wow its hell, so I didn't really ask her any follow up questions.

Closed Thread