It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Annoying

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
    KJHChemist
    (female)

KJHChemist HB User
    Annoying

I think the thing about the reflux that annoys me the most right now is the heart palps. My heart has been checked out, twice. It's ok. When I'm having trouble with my stomach, I have palps. When I'm not having trouble with my stomach, I don't have palps. I can go several days in a row without having them, and then months in a row when my reflux is well under control. But when they kick up, it still scares me. The icky feeling of heartburn doesn't really scare me. But feeling my heart skip a beat like that...frightening.

I keep telling myself that it's ok. But my body still goes into "Oh my God I'm gonna die" mode.

Does anyone have the palps and have any advice on dealing with the anxiety they cause? Or better yet, stopping the anxiety before it starts?

--Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Annoying

Yes, I have them which I think is a side effect of the Prontonix and Aciphex. I haven't really been checked out for heart problems but my bood pressure is good. It is very scary and I usually don't notice it until I lay down to sleep because I'm busy during the day and forget about it. Sorry I don't have any advice about this usually I fall asleep because I'm so exhausted and by morning I don't notice it anymore.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=383932&page=1&pp=5[/url]

(Sorry I can't get this link to LINK! Do copy/paste.)

I think it's the GERD and just isn't noted as a side effect. I had strange palps just BEFORE I knew something was really wrong with my GI. Then I had a month or so of little palps while on Nexium. I haven't noticed them for probably a month now. But since I had some at least a month or more before I was ever on PPIs, I think it's an undocumented side effect of GERD itself. Many people mention palps, before they even try PPIs.

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 05-10-2006 at 07:23 AM. Reason: give up making link active

Old 05-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
    KJHChemist
    (female)

KJHChemist HB User

There's also another question to be considered: is it all actual heart palps, or could at least some part of it be esophageal spasms? Is there a way to tell the difference?
    -Karen

Old 05-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I actually get heart palps that have been documented on a 24 hour holster monitor (a heart monitor you wear for 24 hours). Recently I have been getting a lot of them which is what sent me to the doctor. The doctor ran several tests and found nothing wrong with my heart but said I had SVTs based on the heart monitor (supra ventricular tachychardia). It is a condition where the electric systems in the heart don't work right (there are extra electrical current paths.. something along that line) and your heart beats really fast and irregular, then goes back to normal (this can happen over hours or just a few seconds!) The thing is, something usually has to TRIGGER it.. and my doctor can't figure out the trigger. I am starting to think that the GERD is what has been triggering it lately. I've been getting a lot of the palpations, but at the same time I have noticed in the last few weeks my GERD has been really bad. Now many times in the past I have had bad runs of GERD with what seems like no relief.. but it didn't trigger the palpatations. So, I'm not sure if they are connected. I do know that it's not the meds that are triggering it because I've gotten these palpations on occassion well before I started meds..
    so no definite answer from me, but I think there's got to be some kind of link where one triggers the other. I've heard theories about reflux stimulating the Vegas nerve which runs from the stomach area up through the chest, controlling the heart, and then up to the brain.

Closed Thread