It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Yeast and Swallowing Problems N GERD??!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
    RobynsInPain70
    (female)

RobynsInPain70 HB User
    Yeast and Swallowing Problems N GERD??!?

Has anyone in this group been told that their swallowing problems and GI problems are yeast related? I'v ehad my swallowing problem for 4 yrs now and its become dangerous as far as weight loss in the last 3 months. Last week my MD diagnosed me with Oral Thrush (candida) in the mouth. I then went to the Mayo clinic web site and looked up Oral thrush info an it states that when one is diagnosed with Oral Thrush it's almost certain that the yeast is through the entire GI tract including the esophagus. The symptoms are not only seeing the yeast in the mouth etc but trouble swallowing, painful swallowing, food feeling as if it's stuck in the chest and esophagus. I am starting to think this is my issue since my GI said he couldn't understand my degree of difficulty swallowing after he had done my scope. Yes he found issue's but the most he found with my esophagus was esophagitis and he said my hiatal hernia wasn't bad enough or so he thought to cause me the severe trouble I'm having. Tonight my tongue is coated white and it feels like I am coated all the way down from my mouth to my stomach. So I'm just wondering if anyone here found out their issue's were because of candida (yeast).
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
    dorisnflau1
    (female)

dorisnflau1 HB User
    Re: Yeast and Swallowing Problems N GERD??!?

I am not too surprised. My sister lives in Australia and apparently they have longer history dealing with GERD over there. My sis always told me GERD is just another form of bacteria inbalance , which is a kind of yeast infection. It just never sink in my mind until you mention it again. But seems like the doctor in the States does not know too much. All they know is give you PPI, double dose. And it is not working well with me either. I am on Nexium for the fifth week now, symptom actually turns worst.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
    moesciphish
    (male)

moesciphish HB User

what did your trush look like? I've had white stuff on my tongue that I can scrape off... I've had gastroparesis and feel very weak and fatigued constantly... I can't help but think it may be candida... though my GI said he would have seen it during my endoscopy... is this true? I'm at my wits end with exhaustion and not feeling right...

Old 05-31-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
    RobynsInPain70
    (female)

RobynsInPain70 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moesciphish
    what did your trush look like? I've had white stuff on my tongue that I can scrape off... I've had gastroparesis and feel very weak and fatigued constantly... I can't help but think it may be candida... though my GI said he would have seen it during my endoscopy... is this true? I'm at my wits end with exhaustion and not feeling right...
    My thrush looks like swollen puffs of white and yellow **** on the back of my tongue an yes you can scrape it off. Sometimes it will bleed when you scrape it. it's not likely your GI would have "seen" it on the scope in your stomach or espohagus unless it was "THAT" bad and I mean bad. He would have had to have tested for it when he did the biopsy from the scope. When I had my scope done in July 05 I asked him if he tested for yeast and he said no. OH now I wish he had.. It's not something they ordinarilly test for. I guess you have to request. I SO wish I had remembered too back then.. Yeast can make you very sick just so you know.. If you get time look up "candida" on the internet or "Oral Thrush" both may bring up a lot of information for these topics related to AIDS as it's a big problem with those with AIDS but it can happen to anyone...Hope this helped..

Old 06-01-2006, 05:13 AM   #5
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

aswaer HB Useraswaer HB User

Yeast is not another "bacteria problem". Yeast is a fungus, and bacteria is bacteria. Candida is a yeast infection, not a bacterial infection. So I think what the Australian doctors are referring do as a bacterial problem is stomach ulcers caused by h. pylori bacteria, which in 1983, was indeed found to be the cause of stomach ulcers, and can be eliminated with a course of antibiotics. However, h. pylori can return to individuals who have been treated with the antibiotics after a few years, and they may required additional antibiotics. Reflux/GERD/LPR is not currently associated with bacteria, but rather, with the malfunction of the esophageal spinchters. Maybe someday they'll find that the malfunction is caused by bacteria, but I haven't read any medical literature that even suggests it. If you have any information about that possibility, I'd love to hear it.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
    moesciphish
    (male)

moesciphish HB User

well.. the white stuff on my tongue wasn't yellow or like the regular pictures of trush that I have seen... but it did scrape off easily and was white and granular looking. It also smelled aweful... like tonsil stones if you have ever had those... so, I'm guessing it was just Volitile sulfur compounds or something...and it hasn't come back after scraping it...

Old 06-02-2006, 02:29 AM   #7
    Bilbobeth
    (female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Hope I am not too late to join the thread. I have a disgusting taste in my mouth all the time like I imagine you would get from rotting teeth tho they are not! My tongue keeps getting covered in thick yellow stuff. I can scrape it off but within a couple of days its covered again. Does this sound like thrush? I had vaginal thrush twice in the last three months but thats cleared up. I only had thrush one other time and that was when I was pregnant decades ago. Is thrush usual with acid reflux? I have the terrible constant thick ball of stuff in my throat too that wont come up and wont go down.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
    KJHChemist
    (female)

KJHChemist HB User

It would be interesting if they found that acid reflux was caused by something like a fungus or a bacteria. It is possible. Remember that for the longest time they thought ulcers were caused by "stress", then they find out that it's caused by a bacteria. Makes sense, stress lowers your immunity, so the bacteria can take hold. The same should hold true for a fungus.

So the important question...do they have a test for candida? And if they find it, can they get rid of it?

-Karen

Old 06-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
    benzos
    (female)

benzos HB User

I know there are blood tests for candida. I read on the internet it can be treated wit antibiotics? I didnt search very far so I am not sure of other treatment. Does anyone know if you are tested for pylori bacteria as routine in endoscopy?
    tanks

Old 06-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
    angeleyes4458
    (female)

angeleyes4458 HB User

Hello,
    Both Ents I Went To See Said Very Very Rare I Had Thrush. It Has Something To Do With My Reflux. You Mostly See Thrush In Cancer Patients Who Are Being Treated For Cancer. Thats What Thye Said. I Had A White Tounge Too. Cheryl

Closed Thread