It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Taking Nexium while pregnant???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2006, 05:16 AM   #1
    phaila
    (female)

phaila HB User
    Smile Taking Nexium while pregnant???

Hi there...I have acid reflux and was told several years ago Iwould be on nexium FOR LIFE. Now I found out I am pregnant. Does anyone know if it is safe to take while pregnant? I cant imagine that the acid reflux would be safe for the baby since I can feel the stomach acid throughout my whole body when I get the heartburn. Has anyone on Nexium become pregnant and was allowed to continue taking their prescription?
    Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 05:47 AM   #2
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
    Re: Taking Nexium while pregnant???

Hi, I can't give you a definitive answer (I don't think anyone can - nothing relating to GERD is definitive).

I asked my doctor about this and he said "No - you have to get off them!". I was asking because I'm very anxious about this - I just got married, am "old", and there's no time to waste if I want to have a baby. So far, I'm a month behind schedule of when I really wanted to start trying. Thanks to this [email protected]!$ GERD/LPRD/whatever.

Some people here indicate they were on Nexium and everything was fine. Some say they simply stopped when they got pregnant and put up with the symptoms.

I myself think it's all iffy. Nexium (nor most PPIs) hasn't been around long enough to really give solid answers to this question. I think they caution against it, but say there is no evidence yet 1 way or other.

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
    phaila
    (female)

phaila HB User

Well...I dont think I will survive if I have to live with the acid reflux for 9 months. It literally causes intense pain up the right side of my back, in my stomach and throat. It is really horrible. But let me give you a run down of my day yesterday just so you can see how unlucky I am.
    I took my dogs to the park. We drove and it is about 1.5 miles away. I had a dentist appointment in 1.5 hours for a broken molar and was having it pulled. I went to the park unshowered and not dressed to see anyone. while at the park I decided to walk the dogs around the perimeter. When we got back to the car we were very hot, very sweaty, and excited to get water and get home. THE CAR WAS LOCKED! I had locked the keys in my car. So I had to walk the BIG tired and hot dogs down a very steep hill past tons of other barking BIG dogs in the heat while having one dog with cancer and lymes disease.The poor guy was ready to pass out the whole time. We had to walk right through the main part of town cross busy streets with my looking like a homeless person :-P I was gross and so hot and had like 30 minutes to get home and get showered and get my fiance to come open my car and get to the dentist. SO all that was taken care of and I got to the dentist on time. The tooth was pulled and it was very hard to come out AND PAINFUL! After the appt I was given penicillian and vicodin. I, for some STRANGE reason, thought I should get a pregnancy test before I take these. So I did and I found I was pregnant. I am also "OLD" And just thought it is not going to happen any day soon. I actually thought I was a day away from my period. I was wrong. So now my mouth is swollen, bleeding, painful and I cant take any pain medicine for it. So this is the kind of day I have when I found I was pregnant! What a horror story. But I could not help myself to take a nexium last night. That pain on top of the dental pain was just too much. SOrry about the story...I just had to tell someone. It was pretty crazy.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I'm sorry about your bad day! Hope the pain goes away soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Nexium. I can't believe that a pill whose known side effects are headache, diarrhea and "abdominal pain" would be real bad for a baby. I'm trying to wait just in case, but it seems so neutral.

My dermatologist tells me to get off my Doryx if I want to get pregnant, and that drug has a longer history (including it is used for many things besides oily skin), so I will do that (not that it matters much - I'll take pimples over gut problems any day) if the time ever comes. Nexium is basically for 1 purpose - stopping stomach acid. It doesn't have any other use. The fewer uses, the less it can affect negatively, I guess. Coupled with its few well-known side effects, it wouldn't scare me much.

OTOH, since I am old and will be even older if I ever get to have a baby, I will be careful. I'm already risky for birth defects just by my age. I don't need to add meds to the mix which might "push it over the edge"!

Closed Thread