It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Urinary side effects from Nexium??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
    Parrotsmuggler

Parrotsmuggler HB User
    Urinary side effects from Nexium??

When I started on Pariet a few years ago, my bladder immediately started acting up. While lying in bed, I would feel like I need to go to the bathroom, I would go, lie back down, same thing would happen. Sometimes this would repeat itself 3-4 times until finally, at 2-3 in the morning, I would get to sleep. About 1-2 weeks after starting the Pariet, this side effect went away.

Due to some other side effects of the Pariet, I recently had to discontinue using it. So my gastro put me on Nexium. Once again, bladder problems. But this time instead of just affecting me at night, it affects me all day long. Needless to say, it's a real pain in the butt having to go to the washroom 24/7. I'm wondering whether anyone here has experienced this side effect. Seems kinda odd to me as I've never heard anyone mention urinary symptoms in connection with PPIs.

Thanks for any comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
    suncat
    (female)

suncat HB User
    Re: Urinary side effects from Nexium??

Hi, I have LPR and have been on Nexium 40 mg twice a day for almost a year now. I saw my Gastroenterologist today because I am having abdominal/pelvic pain with urinary frequency. A urologist diagnosed it as interstitial cystitis but I want to rule out any GI problems. Anyway, I asked the GI doc today if Nexium was causing my bladder pain/frequency and he said no, no correlation.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
    Parrotsmuggler

Parrotsmuggler HB User

Thanks Suncat,

Your gastroenterologist may well be right in your situation. However, I've found that doctors tend to underestimate the number of side effects that a medication can cause. I've taken many different meds over the years, and I've experienced quite a few so-called rare side effects. My experiences make me wonder just how rare the side effects really are. Just something to keep in mind whenever you start taking meds.

I do know that interstitial cystitis, urinary frequency and other bladder conditions are listed as possible side effects of Nexium (you can find the list of possible side effects at the official Nexium site).

From the list, I know that it's theoretically possible for a PPI to cause bladder symptoms. And when I was first put on Pariet, my bladder started acting up right away. So there's a good chance that Nexium may be responsible for my current issues. However, I don't want to overlook a potentially serious bladder problem because I mistakenly attributed the problem to Nexium.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I haven't had any urinary problems with Protonix or Aciphex (never taken Nexium) but I do get dried out and have to drink alot of water everyday. I wonder if not drinking enough liquids can cause urinary infections.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
    TriciaR
    (female)

TriciaR HB User

Hi,

Although I've never had urinary problems with nexium, I found an OTC which is supposed to help with IC. I found it because it's supposed to allow you to eat acidic foods occasionally. It binds the acid, a type of calcium glycerophosphate.
    Well, I like to cheat on my reflux occasionally and have a cup of coffee. I found this product, Prelief, completely takes the discomfort away.

I've been using it in addition to the nexium and it's been a big help. You can check it's website out by googling the name. I do not work for or hold stock in this company; just another victim of lpr searching for answers.

Good luck,
    TriciaR

Old 07-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
    Parrotsmuggler

Parrotsmuggler HB User

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone.

When I first went on the Pariet, I was hit with three pretty bad side effects..the urinary thing, really bad headaches, and constant thirst. The urinary problems and thirst went away after 1-2 weeks, the headache went away after a few days. The weird thing about the headache side effect is that if I forgot to take Pariet for a day (or two), I would be hit with a horrible headache the next time I took my dose of Pariet. According to my doctor, these are all rare side effects. How rare can they be if I was hit with three of these so-called rare side effects?? I think the pharm companies are very good at manipulating the data in their favour. I'm not a statistician so I'm not sure how they do it, but I'd bet that there's a lot of messing around with the side effect figures.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
    lulu123
    (female)

lulu123 HB User

I have been on Prevacid for about 4 yrs now and never related urinary problems to the medication. I too need to "go" 24/7 and drink water constantly because I'm thirsty. I was checked for diabetes last year and it was negative. Now I'm going to take a closer look at Prevacid.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:51 AM   #8
    suncat
    (female)

suncat HB User

Thanks All for your responses. I think you're right, physicians DO underestimate the side effects of medications. I'm in a bind though, because if I stop the Nexium/PPI's my LPR will probably get worse. It's a vicious cycle. I am in so much pain everyday with sore throat, lump, bladder and lower abdominal pain, every muscle in my body aches, extremem fatigue, anxiety from all of this, depression. I'm only 49 feeling like 90. They've tested me for Lupus, MS, Lymes, etc. you name it. Maybe I have fibromyalgia? I've had 4 CT scans of the abdomen in the last 3 years, all negative. I had a total hysterectomy in 03 and a partial thyroidectomy in 05. Biochemically I'm out of whack. I went to a free lecture at a health food store by a homeopathic MD who sees people like me every day in his office. Maybe I should give him a try.

Old 07-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
    Parrotsmuggler

Parrotsmuggler HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lulu123
    I have been on Prevacid for about 4 yrs now and never related urinary problems to the medication. I too need to "go" 24/7 and drink water constantly because I'm thirsty. I was checked for diabetes last year and it was negative. Now I'm going to take a closer look at Prevacid.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Hey there, did your urinary problems begin soon after you started on Prevacid? It's probably hard for you to remember after 4 years. I guess the real test would be to go off the meds for a week and see what happens. It might be worth it, just to know what's going on.

I stopped taking the Nexium two days ago. I thought I was starting to feel better, but tonight my bladder's been acting up quite a bit. Maybe it'll take a few more days for the Nexium to clear out of my system.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #10
    lulu123
    (female)

lulu123 HB User

Parrotsmuggler. What a good idea. I think I'll try that experiment. If it cures the bad bladder I may be looking at a more natural way of resolving my gerd. It's been a few days for you now, have you noticed any difference yet? I am aware that the meds provide a residual effect for about a week, so you may want to give it a couple of weeks.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:23 AM   #11
    kattjo5220
    (female)

kattjo5220 HB User

I had urinary problems with Zegerid this time around. It seemed like irritation in my bladder & urinary tract. Within a day of not taking it, the problems went away. That was the 1st time I ever had that problem.

Katt

Closed Thread