It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• mucous and snorting-LPR?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
    willk48
    (male)

willk48 HB User
    mucous and snorting-LPR?

Hi. For several years I have felt a sensation of mucous in my throat. I always feel like I have to swallow or snort (which irritates the hell out of my wife) but nothing really seems to be there (except sometimes when I gag brushing my tongue in the morning I get a little clear to slighty yellow mucous). I just started having heartburn problems over the last 6 months or so. I was prescribed Prilosec which definately relieves the heartburn but has no effect on the sensation of mucous. I don't really have any other symptoms of LPR although just over the past few months I'll occasionally get this spasmatic coughing fit that starts out like tickle and constriction in my lower throat.
    Does this sound like LPR? I've read posts from people with this same mucous sensation clearing their throats...do they mean snorting?

Last edited by willk48; 07-10-2006 at 12:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 04:37 AM   #2
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

aswaer HB Useraswaer HB User
    Re: mucous and snorting-LPR?

It sounds like classic LPR. Sometimes people with LPR get heartburn, but often they don't. Sometimes (as in my case), we'll get a little heartburn only occasionally.

The snorting you are referring to is what is often referred to politely as "chronic throat clearing". And you definitely have the other major symptom which is the severe, hacking (dry) cough.

In addition, many LPR patients report a feeling of "lump in the throat" that won't go away.

Many LPR patients have only 1 of these symptoms. Some have 2, or 3 or even a custom number of symptoms. Yeah - hoarseness can often be a problem.

Treatment?
    Treating LPR differes from treating GERD in the dosage. You need to take 2 PPIs doses each day, not just 1.

People respond differently to the different PPIs. If one doesn't work for you (and give it a few weeks), just move on to the next one.

I assume that you are on Prilosec by prescription? Please confirmt that you are not taking Prilosec OTC (the kind available over the counter without a scrip). Prilosec OTC does not work for LPR. It has been modified and the dosage is too low anyway. But for some reason, you can't quadruple the number of pills to make it work. It's been tried.

Here's what you can take:
    1. Prilosec, prescription version.
    2. Generic Prilosec, prescription version.
    3. Nexium
    4. Aciphex
    5. Prevacid
    6. Protonix
    7. Zegrid (a little diffferent - usually used as 1 dose per day as a supplement to the other PPIs).

You also need to experiment with finding the best timing of your dosages. I take my doses together, first thing in the morning, which works great for me. Many other posters spread out the doses - one in the morning, one in the evening and it works for them (but brings my symptoms on). Basically, you just need to keep a journal of how you're physically feeling. Be careful though - usually it's easy to realize that you're feeling icky but we tend to forget when we are feeling good.

You do need prescriptions for all 7 of the PPIs I listed above.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
    willk48
    (male)

willk48 HB User

Thanks for your reply. The cough only happens maybe twice a month. Just comes out of the blue. Kind of scary though because it's hard to breath and it feels like I'm never going to stop.
    I take the prescription Prilosec and like I said it takes care of the heartburn great but has no effect at all on the sensation of mucous in my thoat. I take it around dinner time.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

aswaer HB Useraswaer HB User

All the PPIs have a timing flaw - they are only effective for 14-17 hours. This means that there is a substantial period during the day where you can begin refluxing again.

To combat this, some people take one PPI in the morning, and another dose at bedtime or before dinner.

People with LPR typically reflux worse during the day, and less so at night, so we are able to choose to take a doulble dose of a PPI first thing in the morning. I also add a Zegrid before bed (irregularly I admit).

So you just need to decide how much this is bothering you and if you want to treat it. While standard treatment for LPR is 2 doses of a PPI per day, maybe you could start with taking a double dose just when the throat symptoms come on and see if that works.

Closed Thread