It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Anyone experience Contact Dermatitis on PPIs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2006, 06:19 AM   #1
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

aswaer HB Useraswaer HB User
    Anyone experience Contact Dermatitis on PPIs?

Nexium 2x per day has been a miracle for me for 4 years, but I'm getting a little bit worried. I've been itching for 2 months, not unbearably, but noticeably. The itching is everywhere, and in places that noone else seems to scratch - like the scalp.

6 days ago, I developed 3 patches of contact dermatitis. It looks exactly like Poison Ivy contact dermatitis, except that I've had no exposure to any plant life in over 2 weeks. Then I broke out in about 6 more patches, and they are distributed everywhere - torso, legs, and arms. Not the feed or hands though. And if my dog exposed me to poison ivy, since I pet the dog all the time, wouldn't I get the dermatitis on my hands?

The patches of dermatits are hard, raised, red bumps and each one has one or more little pustules in the center, which easily break open. When scratched, the patches get worse.

I don't have any patches on face (yet, thankfully).

I'd like to know if anyone else has had any unexplained contact dermatitis in conjunction with a PPI. I've seen my doctor, who immediately thought it was poison ivy. Since she is a PCP she's never had anyone on Nexium 2x per day, and has no familiarity with PPIs and itching. The complicating factor is that I switched to a different detergent and fabric softener 2 weeks ago, and I'm wondering if that's a factor. I've switched back to my old brands, but it's going to be a while before I can see if there is a difference. The weird thing is that I have never in my life had any kind of rash or dermatitis. I am 32 and have never even had poison ivy.

For the dermatitis, I'm taking claritin, benadryl, and using a prescription cortisone cream, but I'm still waking up in the middle of the night with the itching.

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
    tlily
    (female)

tlily HB User
    Re: Anyone experience Contact Dermatitis on PPIs?

Hi Answander

Sorry to hear about your itching. Since taking PPIs I have had a patch on my upper chest that has been very itchy. I have not seen it anywhere else so far. Maybe it is the change of detergent as you have been on nexium for so long.

Hopefully it was and it will all go away.

Tlily

Old 07-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
    Sara459
    (female)

Sara459 HB User

Aswander,

I had something similar happen while taking Prevacid & Nexium. Itchy spots on the inside of my arm by the elbow and behind the knees. At first the doctor tried to tell me it was poison ivy. It wasn't.

As a bit of background - first I took Nexium samples and they worked liked a charm! Then my stupid HMO wouldn't give me Nexium and they substituted Prevacid. That's when the trouble started. I got more Nexium samples but too late the damage was done. I continued to have same reaction as with as with the Prevacid.

I hope yours turns out to be the clothes detergent. I can tell from your many posts that Nexium has been a wonder drug for you.

Sara

Old 07-29-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
    Sandy Beach
    (female)

Sandy Beach HB User

Since I began taking Aciphex and Ranitidine I am getting really red patches on my cheeks, looks like Rosacea!!! I will use concealer on cheeks if meds do the trick with my LPR!!!

Old 07-30-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks everybody. Though my husband swore there was no poison ivy anywhere on our property, I discovered plenty when I searched it myself (he didn't realize that poison ivy leaves could be notched, and aren't shiny in the summer). Finding it has helped put my mind at ease, because there is a much stronger possibility that it's poison ivy, and that I got it in random places because it may have been on my doggies' coats.

I also tried washing with Zanfel ( a special poision ivy scrub), which seems to have helped some of the patches. I"m really praying this is just poison ivy, because while I can tolerate mild constant itching from the PPIs, I don't think I can tolerate posion-ivy level itching indefinately. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2006, 03:59 AM   #6
    aswaer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Not out of the woods yet, but the rashes are clearing up and I'm feeling much more confident that it was poison ivy. I was just panicked thinking I might be developing a long term reaction to the PPIs.

Closed Thread