It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Missing Work

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
    tissie1
    (female)

tissie1 HB User
    Missing Work

Does anyone else's life go on hold when you get bad reflux? Are you missing work etc.? or am I a total wimp????

I came home early on Monday and missed yesterday and today and feel worse today so I don't know if I will go in the rest of the week.

I was on Omperozale 20mg and that wasn't helping I took one Protonix 40mg last night and feel much worse today. My doctor is "supposed" to call in some Nexium 40mg for me tonight. (that use to work) I think this flare up is my own fault I had some soda and eating a bit crappy and have been stressed out. I should have listened to my body warning me more.

I feel so helpless that I cried today and I feel so helpless and scared and feel just plain awful. You guys know the chest feels like it ripping apart(burning), feels hard to breathe! My head gets hot and my sinuses are bad so that doesn't help me tougne is white and feels grosse. I HATE this sooooooo much!!!

I had a short episode of this last year but nothing that some prescription meds didn't clear up. My worst case was after 9/11 where I thought I was dying until I found a speciliast that said it was acid reflux. Did and upper GI and said it was mild but if it is mild I would not be able to ever imagine worse than mild. My brother has problems with this too. He thought he was having a heart attack.

I have read up on some natural remedies that I may try out some tonight. I am always afraid to do trial an error when I am this bad because what if something that works for someone else makes me worse!

I feel for all of you out there with the problem! Prayers to you!

(this is me)

Take Care,
    STephanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
    tlily
    (female)

tlily HB User
    Re: Missing Work

Tissie

I really know how you feel. I have been suffering with this for 7 months. There were many times I wanted to call out from work but the nature of my work makes it impossible at times. I have left early a couple of times. I can understand about trying new meds. I have tried many and so far nexium for me is the best. I still get symptoms as it never lets me forget that I have it. I have had all kinds of test. Cat sans, stress test and an endoscope two months ago and the doc wants to do another on on Monday. I do feel like crying like you.

One thing that I know all this anxiety around suffering with thes symptoms have made it worse. I suggest if you are experiencing anxiety, do some relaxation exercises and deep breating if you can. It helps a little. Helps you feel a little grounded.

Sometimes I just feel like screaming out of frustration as I do feel helpless and hopeless. However I think that at some point we all will feel better as we will find what works for us. It may take some time but it will happen. I do not know what many people's reflux is so resistant to meds. I think half the population is on some kind of reflux meds either prescribed or OTC.

Hang in there I am trying to.

tlily

Old 08-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
    tissie1
    (female)

tissie1 HB User

I really feel for you TLily! No one could possibly understand unless they have suffered from it personally. I will keep you in my prayers!

Perhaps I should try going to work and try to work through it. Monday I was clammy and had so many weird feelings and sensations and it really does scare you and to sit at a desk all day you start dwelling on it and cannot concentrate on anything. Although I am miserable at home to and hate being alone when I feel like this!

My doctor was supposed to call me tonight and give me a prescription for Nexium. Maybe the nurse meant she would talk to the doctor tomorrow I don't know but I really wish they wouldn't put people off and keep up because I really need something.

I found a website that mentions a lot of all natural things so I am trying those at the moment. The apple helped some... I will try some honey later and take another Protonix and I sure do pray I can get some sleep and get to work tomorrow. I never take days off but I still feel weird about missing work for any reason. I answer the phone at work to and I think I might not have enough breath for that. I wonder if we are actually breathing less or it just feels like it.

I can't imagine having all of those tests done. My brother has had all the tests done and they didn't prove beneifical. He is on prescription meds and says those help a lot.

I never heard of acid reflux, GERD, etc. until I started getting like this and now I know so many people that have it... what is going on?!!!

It very well can be like a disability and is rather crippling in a sense. I don't know how people deal with this on a long term basis. I am very frieghtened to have children because I wonder if you get worse reflux when you are pregnant???!!! 9 months of that... I don't know if I could do it...
    I really feel for you tlily!

Old 08-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
    backslide05
    Veteran
    (female)

backslide05 HB User

Tissie--
    you and I both have the same real name and a lot of the same symptoms.
    I've been suffering with this awful condition for at least a year or longer, and the last 6 months especially bad. some days I can't eat anything but yogurt and cereal. I did not do well on PPis, so am trying different natural things and eating real carefully and really paying attention to my body.

if I'm feeling pretty "good" (never good but you know what I mean) I might chance ONE beer but that's it. and no fried, spicey ,or hard to digest foods anymore. just aint worth it.

I have to go to work, right now I have a temp job weekdays and a part time weekend job, no benefits, and a mortgage to pay, so I just try to get my sleep and pray for strength each day. and don't chance it with eating anything that might turn on me.
    I bring all my little "goodies" with me: gaviscon, aloe vera, licorice (good to suck on), and slippery elm. it helps with a burning dry throat. also plain yogurt soothes me when I'm feeling yucky sometimes. Deep breathing and meditation are also good as well as exercise. I have a bad back also, so exercise is hard for me to do anymore-just can't win it seems.

i do believe that stress and anxiety make it worse, but trying to NOT stress when you feel like crap is hard in itself, plus dealing with all of life's pressures and challenges. The world is not a kind and gentle place.

I hope you find relief from this awful condition or at least some helpful meds or techniques to lesson the discomfort.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
    Stoney109
    (male)

Stoney109 HB User

i got laid off about a month ago..was pretty good timing, now i get some unemployment with time to figure out this reflux issue..but i was really struggling when i was working. left early a lot and was a struggle to stay there not being able to breathe and with a burning throat.. and my boss was a b and doesnt have any sympathy for anyone. i hope she gets acid reflux real bad when she gets a little older and i'll laugh in her face. we feel ya

Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 PM   #6
    Jenny UK
    (female)

Jenny UK HB User

i've missed a lot of work this year because of it, including a lot of time off for reactions to the medicine they have put me on.

My drawer has lots of pills in and everyone just seems to think I always have something wrong with me

I have noticed that my heartburn seems to come on at work now and not particuarly weekends. I dont always feel stressed at work but often get the heartburn regardless.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
    tissie1
    (female)

tissie1 HB User

I am not glad that you guys are suffering with me but I am glad to know that I am not alone with this!!! It gives me some comfort to know I am not alone and some freak and just a big wimp or something.

I think people don't have reflux think we are all being over dramatic and crazy or something. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

Speaking of breathing... I feel really good if I am in the car and turn the air coniditioner on high and stick my face right in front of it... weird but it provides some breathing comfort for some reason. I notice when I have reflux bad my sinsues seem to be bad too. When it rains it pours!

I know what you mean about being at work and not being able to breathe and the throat burning, lumpy, I get clammy and my head spins, etc. I stayed home for the 3rd day in a row (not good) but my chest is still hurting today and I know if I feel this bad at home I would feel worse at work. Sometimes you feel better when you get out of the house but that isn't always the case with acid reflux!

Backslide05... In what form do you get the aloe, licoroice & slippery elm and do you add it to a drink? Where do you get the licorice?

I am glad that I have been able to nibble on some fruit and soup this week at least. If you don't eat I think the reflux gets worse. Usually I feel a little better right after I eat something but that doesn't last.

I have been exercising but sometimes I think some exercises make it worse. I try to take time and read a book or something to calm myself down and just relax.

My friend in Europe says they get like 6 weeks or so off for sick time or like 2 months or something... and I am freaking out about missing a few days! America is not so nice to its employees although I should be grateful that my boss is pretty nice and since he has had brain surgery in the past I think he has a little bit more sympathy for health issues.

Thanks Stoney109 & JennyUK & Backslide05! Feel free to email me anytime.

This work week is about over so I have to get a lot better this weekend or go in sick next week because I can't miss work forever! Tomorrow I only have to work (Friday) half a day until noon so I am so hoping I can make it in make it through 4 hours! But my cat needs to be dropped off for a surgery in the morning at 8am so I will be a little late to work and hopefully doing that won't make me feel worse too (and going to the Vet. is always stressful for me and the cats). I may have to consider rescheduling it....

Best Wishes

Old 08-17-2006, 07:08 AM   #8
    Stoney109
    (male)

Stoney109 HB User

yeah no one understands unless they go through it..yeah jennyuk, the people at my pharmacy prob think im insane or a drugged out person who depends on prescriptions. i hate taking prescriptions unless i have to. how old are you tissie?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:50 AM   #9
    tissie1
    (female)

tissie1 HB User

Stoney109... I am 29 years old!

My brother is six years older than me and has been having bad reflux for years too.

Yes I hate taking medicines too! In this case I will for awhile if they help. I picked up 3 different PPIs in the last week so my pharmacist knows who I am !

Old 08-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #10
    anonymouswreck
    (female)

anonymouswreck HB User

Tissie, I'm SO sorry that you're going through so much pain. But you're definitely not alone, and it really helps to remember that when you're so stressed out!!!

I just turned 17, and I've had acid reflux for 5 years in November. It is the absolute worst when it hits you when you're still in school, because I've missed so much school, and I can't really perform to my ability, cause I'm never there and try to catch up but it just is too much. I'm kind of the "sick girl" lol!!!!! I think, like most of us, I just popped a lot of Gaviscon, hoping the symptoms would cease. I took Ranitidine at the beginning, which helped but not to the degree that I needed it. Then I got put on some Prozac to help my anxiety of the whole situation (my parents were definitely scared about what was going on), and I take Slippery Elm regularly, and finally I got a 2x a day dose of my Prevacid (which I would recommend, 2x times a day).

It is impossible for people to understand our symptoms, unless they suffer along with us. My symptoms are mainly lump in the throat feeling, dizziness, chest pain, and sinus problems up the yang lol!!!!! I just want you to know that you're not alone, and that you have people here that are willing to help!!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
    anonymouswreck
    (female)

anonymouswreck HB User

Tissie, I'm SO sorry that you're going through so much pain. But you're definitely not alone, and it really helps to remember that when you're so stressed out!!!

I just turned 17, and I've had acid reflux for 5 years in November. It is the absolute worst when it hits you when you're still in school, because I've missed so much school, and I can't really perform to my ability, cause I'm never there and try to catch up but it just is too much. I'm kind of the "sick girl" lol!!!!! I think, like most of us, I just popped a lot of Gaviscon, hoping the symptoms would cease. I took Ranitidine at the beginning, which helped but not to the degree that I needed it. Then I got put on some Prozac to help my anxiety of the whole situation (my parents were definitely scared about what was going on), and I take Slippery Elm regularly, and finally I got a 2x a day dose of my Prevacid (which I would recommend, 2x times a day).

It is impossible for people to understand our symptoms, unless they suffer along with us. My symptoms are mainly lump in the throat feeling, dizziness, chest pain, and sinus problems up the yang lol!!!!! I just want you to know that you're not alone, and that you have people here that are willing to help!!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #12
    tissie1
    (female)

tissie1 HB User

Thanks Anonymouswreck!

I can't believe you are only 17 and having all those problems! I thought I was too young at 29! What is happening to the world?!!! Are you sure someone isn't poisioning are society or something. This is rediculous!

My doctor hasn't suggest upping my meds to 2X a day... just switching them. Last night I started taking Nexium instead of Protonix because I had success with it in the past with it. I ate an apple and that helped for a little while. Tried the honey and not sure but it might be helping. Drinking some tea with slippery elm bark. I can't take Prevacid it gives me uncontrable diarreha!
    I might have tried Gaviscon once. Not sure what Ranitidine is...

My sinuses are terrible right now... I am glad I am not the only one that has sinuses problems flare up bad when I have reflux. It is a double whammy! My head is hot and I have drainage and that doesn't help the stomach or ears, head or throat.

My doctor asked me if I wanted something to ease my stress. I am naturally high strung and worry about things but I don't want to take anxiety medicine. Although sometimes I could probably use it. I am stressing out big time over missing work and being sick in general it all freaks me out soooo bad!

Yes it is impossible to understand what we go through unless they experience it! Yes I have the lump in the throat, I get clamy cold hands but hot head, dizzy like, bad chest pain, feels like I can't breath and sinus problems that make my head on fire, ears ache sometimes, drainage is awful! Oh and I am not eating much at all but trying to eat some here and there because I figure it will help the acid. I really wish this big goober feeling in my throat would go away too ! I am coughing a bit today and a bit burpy and gassy after taking the Nexium last night.

Does anyone find that drinking cold liquids make their reflux worse? or talking?

Thanks for your support!

Last edited by tissie1; 08-17-2006 at 03:44 PM.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #13
    backslide05
    Veteran
    (female)

backslide05 HB User

Tissie,
    RE: the slippery elm: I buy it at a health food store. it comes in a box and they're lozanges. they also come in powder form you can mix with liquid, but this is easier and I can carry with me in case I get a coughing attack at work or something!
    The licorice is DGL licorice (deglicerinated, so doesn't affect your blood pressure like regular black licorice does). I also suck on regular black licorice candies (which taste better than the DGL).
    Aloe Vera you can find in health food stores as well, in liquid or capsules or tablets. i like the capsules for ease in taking. They work well for all sorts of things.
    I don't believe any of these things can hurt you. But it doesn't hurt to know what you are taking and just the dosage recommended.

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-19-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
    anonymouswreck
    (female)

anonymouswreck HB User

Talking definitely seems to affect me if I do it too much (something I'm famous for ). It makes the stuff in my throat feel like it's moving around and that is very uncomfortable!!! Sometimes if a cold liquid hits my throat, it seizes up and makes breathing a little difficult afterwards, but these two don't usually affect my actual reflux, just my symptoms.

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-19-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:33 PM   #15
    backslide05
    Veteran
    (female)

backslide05 HB User

cold liquids don't bother me at all, in fact they feel good going down.

talking on the other hand, does make it worse. I have a weekend job where I have to do a lot of talking, and sometimes I feel like I'm getting laryngitis, or my voice will get all gravelly sounding.

Closed Thread