It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Quit Smoking 5days ago--LPR symptoms GONE!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
    mackey73
    (male)

mackey73 HB User
    Quit Smoking 5days ago--LPR symptoms GONE!

I had the classic lump in throat/wheeze/congested pharynx LPR symptom--nothing else. I was taking 4 20mg Nexiums a day. The lump feeling went away after about a month on Nexium, but if I missed two days of Nexium--which I often did, as I was getting them as samples from my ENT--the pharyngitis returned.

Coincidentally, however, I quit smoking. I mean, I *knew* that it was contributing to the LPR, but my main reasons for quitting had to do with all sorts of things--including LPR. I probably was a 15-per-day smoker, am 36 now, and have been smoking for about 20 years.

I'm by NO means out of the woods; I've quit for up to four months before, only to begin smoking again. However, I wanted to mention this unexpected benefit to you guys on this board--those of you who smoke and have GERD or LPR, just stop smoking for a couple of days (I know it's easier said than done), and see what happens. At this rate, I might not even need to take Nexium anymore--maybe just tums or tagamet.

FYI, I am using Allen Carr's book--which I did years ago. It's not working as well this time in that this time I "miss" smoking a lot (the premise of his book, in a way, is to "realize" that you haven't given anything up by quitting smoking).

Cheers--good luck to all
    JM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
    donnaC
    (female)

donnaC HB User
    Re: Quit Smoking 5days ago--LPR symptoms GONE!

Hi Mackey-my doc told me if I wanted to get better, I needed to quit smoking. I just thought it was one of his ploys to get me to quit smoking, but now am wondering if he was serious.

donna

Old 08-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Congratulations on quitting smoking! That's great that your symptoms are gone, I hope you keep improving.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
    mackey73
    (male)

mackey73 HB User

thanks--it's been 1.5 weeks now. however, i caved in and bought some nicorette gum. i'm really having a very hard time this time around--not smoking screws with my delicate psychological balance but the lpr symptoms are still gone!! and i've only been taking 1 nexium a day--sometimes forgetting it altogether!

Old 08-27-2006, 11:43 PM   #5
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Keep up the Good work, you can do it.

Closed Thread