HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   Exercise and Gerd? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/423111-exercise-gerd.html)

KPK1 08-26-2006 11:34 AM

Gerd/Bloating and Tachicardia Connection

I am a 28 year old male who has a three year history of gerd. About three months ago my symptoms have changed. I have been having severe stomach and intestinal bloating. The symptoms are a 24 hr thing, but best in am and worse in pm. About 3 weeks ago I awoke to a horrible episode of atrial fib. My heart was racing eratically, skipping beats, hard/easy, I thought that was going to die for sure. I went to the ER and was diognosed with a-fib, which lasted for around 5 hours. Since then I have had multiple tests on my heart including ultrasound,x-ray, ekg, holster moniter, etc. I even had a thyroid test. All checked out normal. Since then, the bloating continues and I have had multiple tests for digestive probs: ultrasound on digestive organs, x-rays, blood tests, endoscopy, hpilori, you name it. All tests came up normal except for excess gas in my stomach and large intestine, and a bit of acid in my stomach. In the past 3 years I used to have persistant acid reflux (mainly associated w/ alcohol abuse), but no bloating. Now that I have quit alcohol completely (3 weeks) I mainly have bloating, with occasional reflux. When I take nexium or prilosec, my bloating gets worse. When I try to exercise with the bloating it seems to agrivate my reflux. It also seems that while I am bloated my heart rate seems very sensitive, and beats fast with minimal effort. The bloating also makes it difficult to breath (pressure on the diaphram), especially with exercise. For example: I do 1 set of weight training exercise to moderate exertion, and as soon as I am done I feel pressure in my throat like I have to burp but can't. This pressure is so great, that I feel as if I cannot breath for a moment. My heart rate also seems exagerated while this is going on. Scary. In the past I have had similar occourances, but not to this exterme. I have never had the tachicardia/sensitive heart issus in the absence of gerd/bloating. There is definately a connection. I was wondering if anyone has similar experiences when trying to exercise with gerd or bloating? I used to be a very physically active person and this condition is making my life a living hell. When the gerd is acting up, simple activities that would bare nudge my heart rate are jumping it up. The strange thing is that I rarely get heartburn or burning in my throat. Instead I have excessive belching,eosophegeal spasms, and of coaurse gas in my digestive tract. In addition, I have developed a bad habbit of air breathing (taking consectutive deep breaths), due to perceived shortness of breath, which surely adds to my bloating. I also have a strange test to see just how irritated/bloated I am. If I take a deep breath and hold it, for about ten seconds I feel like my stomach is about to explode, then I gasp for breath, usually unable to breath foe a few seconds with extreme pressure/pain in my eosophagous. I this pleasent experience occurs I definately will not exercise. When I can hold my breath for ten seconds with out bloating or pain, I have the green light to exercise without significant discomfort (racing heart/gerd symptoms/breathing difficulties). The problem no is that the light has been red for 3+ weeks!

Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

Good luck to all fellow sufferers ;)