It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• ACV and honey?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
    honeydew677
    (female)

honeydew677 HB User
    ACV and honey?

I have heard alot about taking apple cider vinegar and honey to help with acid reflux disease, has anyone tried it and had any luck? Also, I read somewhere that acid reflux is mostly caused by too little acid in your system, has anyone else heard of this? If it is true how do you know what type you have?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
    nanci2539
    (female)

nanci2539 HB User
    Re: ACV and honey?

I take both ACV and Manuka honey. I just started this about three weeks ago. I'm fine during the day; it's bedtime and beyond that's hard for me. For instance, I woke at 3AM and 4AM with burning in my stomach; a dry throat and bad taste in my mouth.

My issue is chronic gastritis. I have slight acid reflux or GERD according to my last scope.

Can I say that ACV and honey is making a difference. It's too soon to tell but I feel that I'm better during the day.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
    backslide05
    Veteran
    (female)

backslide05 HB User

i've tried the acv and am now on the manuka honey.
    The ACV didn't really do much that I'm aware of, but I still take is sometimes just for general health purposes.
    however, the honey is making a noticable difference. my burning is MUCH better and I take a little jar with me to work.
    That stuff is worth every penny I paid for it, and has helped me more than everything else combined.
    I still have the LPR symptoms, coughing, clearing of throat and weak voice, but the burning and pain have subsided.
    I've heard the theory about not having enough acid, but am not sure if I believe that. However, I do believe suppressing acid, can't be a good thing especially long term. JMHO/

Old 09-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I wonder if the too-little-acid theory is related to gastroparesis - when your stomach isn't mechanically efficient in getting food out of itself in time. When food stays in your gut too long, it can apparently "ferment", cause more gas pressure, and hence more reflux. I hear the low-acid theory as if it doesn't have enough acid to break up everything - and so it ferments. I don't know if that's a misnomer, but doctors/medical sites never seem to bring up this idea and they have the research behind them. They also don't seem scared of suppressing your acid (actually, it's only 1 acid - the other pepsin stays intact). They DO bring up gastroparesis (in fact, I'm being check next week about it) as a possible cause.

Just to distinguish, acid-reflux "disease" is actually when your sphincter at the stomach juncture isn't working right and is too weak. It's a bad name for a disease, as people who actually have it may think they will be helped by other remedies having to do with plain reflux as a mere symptom of another disease. Reflux is always just a symptom of another problem, not the "cause". It really should be called "sphincter disease" or something.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
    honeydew677
    (female)

honeydew677 HB User

Thanks for the info, I think I am going out to get the honey and ACV after work. At this moment I think I will be willing to try anything. The Manuka honey is that a special kind of honey? Do you get it from a health store?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
    KPK1
    (male)

KPK1 HB User

Do you think clover honey works as well?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
    KPK1
    (male)

KPK1 HB User

Does that type work better than clover honey?

Old 09-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
    nanci2539
    (female)

nanci2539 HB User

Clover honey doesn't do anything - it needs to be Manuka Honey. Do a search on it to read the benefits. It's quite expensive ($28 a jar) but it's very beneficial.

Backslide - how much of the honey do you take? I took a heaping teaspoon before I went to bed and it didn't seem to help.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
    patfield
    (female)

patfield HB User

I tried the ACV and honey thing for a few days and at first I thought it was helping but then all of a sudden I got ALOT worse. I think the ACV was actually making my painful esophagus go in to spasms. I had to go back on my Nexium at double the strength that I was using before trying the ACV and honey. I still take a spoonful of honey once in awhile. It does seem to soothe a bit but am not going to try the ACV again.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
    backslide05
    Veteran
    (female)

backslide05 HB User

yes, it has to be Active Manuka Honey.
    other honey isn't going to work.
    I take it dipping pretzels in it through the day, and a teaspoon or so at night.
    it also healed a burn on my hand...
    The ACV irritated my throat.
    i dilute it in water and then it's ok, but not as healing as the honey I feel.
    hope you get some relief.

Closed Thread