It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Nausea and Acid Reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
    Hamilton92
    Veteran
    (female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
    Nausea and Acid Reflux

Is it normal to feel nauseated when having a GERD flareup?
    My stomach always burns, no relief with anything over the counter and I've tried prescription nexium and prevacid.
    I gave up and quit taking anything and I suffer. My stomach constantly burns, usually its always down low around my belly button area.
    Is that a weird place to experience heartburn? Down that low on your stomach?
    Well lately I have been getting waves of nausea too over the last month.
    Never severe enough to actually make me throw up but yet another symptom to add to my worries.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
    plomly22
    (female)

plomly22 HB User
    Re: Nausea and Acid Reflux

That sounds almost like mine. The first doc I went to thought it was a ulcer and gave me some prevacid samples which helped a lot with the constant pain. Then I went to a GI and had an endoscopy which diagonsed me with chronic acid reflux and gave me samples of protonix which I think has helped some with the nausea. My pain is also around my bellybutton and generally just below it. I was also diagnosed with IBS 2 years ago from stomach pain they could never diagnose. I have read that the protonix you are only suppose to take for about 8 weeks but I am worried that if I stop if will just come back.

Take care, J

Old 05-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
    kade119
    (male)

kade119 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hamilton92 View Post
    Is it normal to feel nauseated when having a GERD flareup?
    My stomach always burns, no relief with anything over the counter and I've tried prescription nexium and prevacid.
    I gave up and quit taking anything and I suffer. My stomach constantly burns, usually its always down low around my belly button area.
    Is that a weird place to experience heartburn? Down that low on your stomach?
    Well lately I have been getting waves of nausea too over the last month.
    Never severe enough to actually make me throw up but yet another symptom to add to my worries.
    Hi,

I know how you feel... I had an endoscopy test done and they said i had a small hiatal hernia and GERD.. they gave me prevacid.. but i still fill nauseated and bloated all the time.. does anyone know what I could do for this? is this really GERD... ?

Old 05-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
    DKTemp
    (male)

DKTemp HB User

I wouldn't say it's "normal", but it is common to have nausea with GERD. I've had it myself, as you say, never to the point of throwing up, but I have had as far as gagging.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Try asking your doctor for a trial of meteclopramide.... this releives nausea and GORD (it tightens the sphincter, thus keeping acid in the stomach, and also speeds gastric emptying)... take this plus some Gaviscon (try a double dose to realy hit the acid hard)

If you cant get meteclopramide, diphenhydramine (benadryl etc) is a good antinauseant, take it with an antacid.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Nausea is a common symptom. I've lived with mine for some time now. Nexium relieved it quite a bit and reduced its duration from all day, every day, to just a couple of hours in the mornings. I find that there is nothing really one can take that would make it go away completely. I get nauseous the minute I get out of bed and into an upright position. I refuse to treat it with MORE (antinausea) medication. The best way to get rid of it would be by treating the underlying cause. Unfortunately, that is not always possible.

FG

Closed Thread